Please Fix Photogrammetry and/or LOD

The huge drops in gpu usage is usually because mainthread cannot feed it enough data so is indicative of a stall elsewhere in the cpu/ram/data delivery cycle, internet included but for server problems there would normally be more complaints … Enable the devmode fps counter and try to match gpu and mainthread timings more closely by either reducing LOD/traffic or by increasing graphics quality settings/renderscale etc. e.g. although my monitor is only a 1080p HDTV I get much better results using a higher resolution custom desktop.

3 Likes

Its unlikely to be a server issue, photogrammetry and Terrain tiles are served by a CDN managed by Akamai ( What is a Content Delivery Network (CDN)? - CDN Solutions | Akamai)

The data is being served as closely to you as possible.

1 Like

That’s not a powerful card. Lucky if you can run 200 lod with it and get decent frame rates. I can’t do anything less than 40 in VR. It’s distracting. What FPS are you getting now? Also, yes you are correct. With a 4090 im CPU limited as are most with a high end gfx card.

That’s where you are wrong, LODs are not restricted by the gpu infact the weaker it is the harder it is to be mainthread limited (the real cause of low frame rates in difficult scenery). With my little 3060 I’m all ultra at LOD360 and even at LAX I never drop below 30fps (2880 x 1620 + dlss quality).

Yes lately servers speed has been abysmal. I have gig up and down so I know it’s not on my end. Also I have proven it. If I fly at 2 am pst I have such a smooth running sim. If I fly at 6 pm pst it slows way down. Same exact settings. To many Xbox gamers pulling all the bandwidth I bet. It happens regardless of LOD. From low to ultra it still does it once in awhile. Not continuous, but it’s annoying. It’s gotten a little better over the last week or so. I wish they would let us download a region of the globe. Like all of California. I would put it on a 2 TB 990 and it probably would run great. This streaming the environment isn’t as efficient. We arnt there with streaming tech yet. Also some people don’t have really fast internet and they are limited on LOD because of it. Or they need to optimize it to preload onto a SSD before you fly. I would be fine booting up the sim loading a flight and letting it sit there for 15 or 20 minutes while it loads up a 500 square mile region. Oh and I only fly in VR at 100 (effectively 4K) in sim and 200 in open XR. If I flew 2d I get stupid high FPS in 4k

Your internet speed is only to your ISP’s nearest relay and what happens beyond that does not show in the average speed test, for that you would need a trace. Traffic at busy times affects the whole internet which by the sounds of it could be your problem.

Try using the manual cache in offline mode … I think you will find your LODs have nothing to do with internet or server speed.

The manual cache hasn’t worked for many updates. Also when it did it didn’t do anything just like the rolling cache that’s implemented. Try it, it’s greyed out. But thanks for the response.

Also there is no PG in offline mode. My idea was to download an entire region WITH THE PHOTO GEOMETRY so you don’t have to stream it. The topic is about photo geometry and LOD :rofl:

I’m a video engineer and download massive video files at all times of the day. Never have any speed issues with them. I’m talking 120 to 200 gb in minutes. Sounds like a server issue to me. But maybe I’m wrong.

1 Like

Manual cache is now fixed and yes downloaded PG works in offline mode, infact it only works in offline mode.

And video?? :rofl: sorry mate but MSFS is not TIkTok

An exaggeration to prove a point, nothing more.

I’ve seen enough images uploaded of close in shots of cars, trees, the fronts of buildings to know what people are expecting. They seem to expect to see PG at the same quality of hand crafted geometry, and that will likely never happen.

Showing closely zoomed in, roadside footage of PG, and citing it as “bad” is a bit like complaining a Honda Civic can’t win an F1 race. Equally pointless, “of course” statements.

PG showing as jagged triangles in the distance, or at altitude, is a better observation.

2 Likes

Not sure what version you’re running but manual cache is still greayed out in SU11. I have rolling cache active but manual cache doesn’t work. And my video reference was simply referring to the fact that I can download huge files in minutes. Using more data than MSFS does for hours of flying. You had said it could be my ISP. And it’s not… Happy flying. MATE! And enjoy your TikTok.

1 Like

Ah thanks … so it has been fixed only in the beta, I wasn’t sure as it’s not in the release notes. However when you finally get it don’t expect to use crazy LODs, they are totally tied to cpu peformance and as always if you are heavily mainthread limited then you will stutter.

And no not your ISP but there can be many jumps between you and the MSFS servers, only at quiet times are you likely to get a reasonably direct path and unlike for large files and fixed content, as far as I know, torrenting MSFS scenery is not really possible.

Happy flying.

As close to the definition of hyperbole as I have ever seen.

The problem is that the use of hyperbole tends to dilute or denegrate the point referenced. That’s why it is used so frequently by populist politicians. It impedes and misdirects the conversation by attempting to reduce what may have been a valid point by associating it with the absurd.

In my comment I was referencing well documented issues, visible at legal vfr altitudes - miles away from the viewer, that the MSFS team have acknowledged as a problem.

Or:

Whoever made the decision to release this on console made a cracking commercial decision that enabled people like you (and me so it goes, as I used to play as a kid on an IBM 386) who have played since the early years to enjoy a fantastic new flight sim release. Almost certainly you wouldn’t have had a Microsoft Flight Sim to complain about the democratisation of had it not been the case. This has been made clear by Devs in the past, on these very forums you have been a member of…

…which makes me wonder, having no doubt observed these tired old arguments being played out on the same stage over again (which thankfully had until now died down to a mere whimper), are we so keen to trot it out again…?

Not sure what devolution has to do with anything either

1 Like

It wasn’t yours I was referring to though, which are perfectly legitimate.

As I implied, there are many complaints about PG, most are justified. But there are some that either misunderstand how PG is generated, and others that overestimate its capabilities.

Those need to be filtered out, and not seen as legitimate concerns lest that exaggerated expectation flourish. In those I include images taken at street level.

1 Like

Hate to prove you wrong but I suggest you start at the top of this thread and work your way down keeping track of the dates, fact is that there were lots of pointy triangles and spikes long before SU5. For sure there have been some regressions since release, they come and they go but at least now those with actually recommeded hardware no longer have to run at a crawl. MSFS is for everyone not just those with deep pockets.

2 Likes

Manual cache does work but only from main menu. It is greyed out once you have started a flight.
Richard

Does that mean for non beta players it’s fixed too?

I’ll forgive the rudeness this time but facts are prior to SU5 with my then low end gpu if I wanted anything better than mash potato low clouds I would struggle to reach 20fps: I was not alone. Search back and you’ll see there were folk with high end rigs playing at 20fps just for their incredible screenshots.