Please Help - Game freeze, unplayable

Since the latest patch (the Japan update) I’m completely unable to play the game. I can access the main menu, pick out my flight, get to the airfield and I can see the opening cinematic that plays with every flight. However, when I press Fly, the game just freezes. I can press escape to bring up the menu, but that’s it, the view is just stuck at whatever point it was at in the cinematic before I pressed Fly. I’ve tried multiple aircraft and multiple airfields in multiple countries, same problem every time. Anyone seen this.

Bonus question… is it actually possible to contact anyone from Microsoft or Asobo with issues, or does everything just get handled with the community? I LOVED this game when it released, and I think they converted me to a flight simmer, but the number of issues I’m getting are making me almost wish I could refund. It’s pretty bad.

Hey @Kergguz, and welcome to the forums.

There are quite a few threads on the forums where people are reporting crash to desktops and it seems there is no one single cause. Reports indicate that the ‘fix’ for one user doesn’t work for another user etc. Tracking down the cause is very time consuming. I suggest maybe using the forum search function to find other threads for this issue. If you wanted to be brave, even though it is time consuming, you could take the plunge and go ahead and reinstall windows. It might actually save you time in the long run. However, it doesn’t guarantee that it will solve your problem if the CTD is caused by hardware weaknesses (unlikely but possible) or driver issues.

To get you started, here are two links (Link1, Link2) to existing mega-threads about CTDs.

It would also be a good idea to check out the known issues post to see if you are affected by one of those.

For advanced troubleshooting, if none of the other fixes seem to work, then there may also be some useful information contained in this detailed thread: Community Troubleshooting Guide.

And finally, if you want to let MS/Asobo know directly, you can send a report via Zendesk. Be sure to include as much information as possible. Suggest you also attach a copy of your DxDiag.txt file to your report for the dev team’s reference. Select Win-Key+R, type “dxdiag” and hit Enter, select “Save all Information”, save the DxDiag.txt file to your Desktop, and then attach it to your Zendesk report.

2 Likes

I have the same issue, not a CTD, game still runs in background but unable to get into cockpit and fly.

if you have a solution…

Same problem. I have been able to fly a couple times but 99% of the time it just freezes when I hit “Fly”. (Not crashing to desktop.)

same for me i tried everything
it was working after patch 2
but with patch 3 i launch the game the plane is on the runway and that it no button respond i can do nothing
waiting for a new patch

I also discovered that the sim is still running - it’s just that the display is frozen/not updating. I can still hear the engine sounds and if I start in the air, on a landing challenge for example, I can pull up and stall the plane or push forward on the stick and crash or overstress the airframe.

Yeah, I won’t be reinstalling windows, especially when no other software is having trouble.

Since my post I tried verifying the steam game files. Now, MSFS doesn’t even think the game is installed, and wants to redownload the full 97GB again. It’s pretty poor this. Game bugs are one thing but this stuff should just work.

I will have to reinstall the game by the looks of it. But in the meantime I’ll try submitting the dxdiag as you’ve suggested. I also looked in other forums and found some with the same issue. None were reporting a reliable fix so far. Looks like I’ll have to wait for Microsoft to get their sh#t together.

One thing to try which has worked for me a couple of times is, before loading a flight plan, go to Options-Sound and switch off the text to speech from Azure to Off, once in game and clicked ‘press to fly’ you can then Esc-Options-Sound and switch Azure back on if you so wish.
As I say, it worked a few times for me…worth a try.

Just discovered from elsewhere on the forum that its nothing to do with the above, delete FaceTrackNoIr and the issue goes away.

1 Like