PMDG 737 Discussion (PC Version) (Part 1)

I think this is the cause that made my speed high on final:) Thank you for this. When do i start deploy the first stages of flaps?

1 Like

The PMDG DC-6 is super easy to fly because you can let the Artificial Flight Engineer do most of the work for you. The CRJ is more complicated than the DC-6 in some respects, but it is quite a bit less complicated than the PMDG 737 due to the fact that it has far less systems depth and implementation. The FBW A32NX is the least complicated aircraft to fly because the Airbus model is to automate everything. Between the systems depth and the “gotchas” with the 737 it requires quite a bit of study and forum research. Obtaining copies of the FCOM, FTCM, and QRH are extremely helpful, as is watching 737NG Driver’s youtube tutorials. The other thing about this aircraft is that it takes a bit longer to prepare for flying from cold and dark, though there are prebuilt configurations that you can use like taxi or runway. Highly recommended if you are interested in systems depth, but that is what you are paying for. If you aren’t interested in learning the systems at a high level, then you will likely find this aircraft frustrating to fly as there is quite a bit that you have to know about it. Aerosoft is sort of the middle ground–if you are satisfied with the CRJ, you may want to wait for their A330. OTOH, if you are willing to embrace the complexity and do the necessary work, the PMDG 737 is accessible, and the experience is highly worthwhile.

4 Likes

If you google “B737 FCTM” you will find plenty of .pdf file results, in those documents you find charts just like that one.

1 Like

It’s important to take your simbrief data first and put it manually in the fuel and payload pages.

You can just set the zero fuel weight straight into the payload page.

The init request page takes the data from those menu’s that you need to set first.

(Or of course do it through the ground services menu’s but they’re a bit too fsx for me to be honest)

2 Likes

Right, Thank you. How is the flightlevel decided on that request thing. It sets a different flightlevel than i have on my simbrief plan. Does it sets the best flight level for my route? I just wonder if it’s better to use the request flight level or the simbrief? I know i have got a route planned with simbrief but maybe it’s better to use the flightlevel the fmc sets and maybe that is a more realistic flightlevel to use?

I find simbrief pretty accurate on deciding upon flight levels.

Flight Dispatchers that prepare your flightplan don’t only look at the weight of the aircraft but also at atmospheric conditions and winds. And so does Simbrief, more or less.

So sometimes the FMS could calculate a flight optimum at FL380, but if you have a headwind there of -80 and only -50 on FL340, guess where your dispatcher is assigning you to. :wink:

4 Likes

This was a short flight I have planned, IFR under 10.000ft. Unfortunately one of the airports was not in the PMDG FMC database so the flight had to be done without fog and rain and by hand with some autopilot help :smiley:

Have you ever tried taking place on the first officer´s seat? It´s so unusual that even an already well-known cockpit has to be familiarized with because every switch and know is either mirrored or placed in different spots…

Even the best add-on developer like PMDG has to enhance some lower polygon low detail “weak spots” in their cockpit and make even the small details beautyful and high polygon to compete with the new DLC-god Fenix. :wink:
By the way… what is this thing in the eyebrow window? Antenna or de-icing device?

With this Honeywell autopilot control panel some real sharp banking is possible!

I was not able to land her by hand-flying with 100% freight in the cargo room. The nose begun oscillating like crazy when the speed went down. But the view was nice, and next time 50% freight weight and 20% fuel is better to get used to her flight dynamics.

2 Likes

Thank you @OMICO4146 but i found what i’m looking for in a 737 manual i found online. I wasn’t asking about a specific approach.

Does anyone get CTD doing a turn around??

I’ve been getting basically a 100% chance of a CTD whenever I have completed my flight and going through the FMC doing all the procedures for another flight… Last night I got all the way to push back and hmmm…

Everything else is great and works very well (can’t wait to be “factually” flying with the 737-800) but like the many suckers here…“oh im not falking out $£€ for… they can…” nek minute… “oh that looks kinda good… maybe I will… OMG this is (something fiting with king) awesome!!!” The suspence got to me in the end and yup… Absolutely loving it… !!!

1 Like

Lots of factors for this. Normally around 15NM or when it’s needed for speed.

2 Likes

I always get a “traffic, traffic” alert when on final and close to the ground. Is that supposed to be like that?

2 Likes

Can someone tell me how I can get rid of portable airstairs being attached to the airplane every time I start up. Have tried various states like cold and dark, apron etc. Its annoying! @PathlessSpore60 I also get that alert, I don’t think its normal.

1 Like

I think,

if you have saved some cfg with that stairs, this cfg can appear on option that will load every time you load b737. This option is lower to Load right side on FMC screen.

I don’t know if it’s supposed to be like that (depends on if you have traffic around you) but i think you should turn this to TA only on final or maybe to xpndr.

If you have traffic around you on final it should say traffic, traffic and automatically correct the aircraft to avoid the traffic if TA/RA is activated i think It also communicate with the other traffic IRL. Don’t know if it does that in the sim though. If you not have traffic around you and it says like that i think it’s an issue.

I think @Hiflyer737 has a much better answere :slight_smile: Also want to know the real procedure for that thing :smiley:

2 Likes

This has happened to me too a few times, not sure what causes it as I have traffic turned off.

1 Like

Newbie for the 737 here. Please can someone advise why the magenta ILS display suddenly disappears when I’m on final? It happens when I disconnect the AP.

I fear you may be needlessly scaring people of with that kind of summary.
The 737 does has depth (if you want it), and yes from cold and dark it may have a different learning experience/curve if you want that too.

BUT

I have flown CRJ, A320NX a lot and the 737 is equally as easy to fly as the A320NX say and is easier than the CRJ in many respects as it has an auto throttle.
As you correctly point out there are in game option states other than cold & dark from which to start it from.
I am currently starting from ‘taxi’ config, and the automation available in the aircraft allows me to fly it much like I’d fly the A320NX. Landing is an absolute breeze with this aircraft too.

It would appear to me the 737 is as complex an experience as you want/tailor it to be, but very little in depth knowledge is required to get something out of using it from the get go. Maybe just some A320NX time, simbrief and FMC SID/STAR editing experience is enough to get going.

I would not be put off with scare stories of complexity to be embraced first. Sure, complexity is there if you want it, but if you don’t want it it’s usable/flyable like any other aircraft in the sim. It’s a very automated aircraft so once airborne with a flight plan much like flying the A320NX there is very little to do until approach, and even then it lands fairly easily compared to say the CRJ where you have to monitor it’s speed all the time.

8 Likes

Flying the tutorial flight on flight setup I can’t seem to set takeoff pitch as the pitch wheel seems to be stuck whether I use the click spots or the buttons on my yoke. It’s not unresponsive it jerks around like it is stuck. What have I done to cause this?

1 Like

Check the assistance options in MSFS, as for me at least, they somehow got reset to easy mode. Your AI co-pilot might be effectively countermanding what you’re trying to do.

2 Likes

I am really addicted to the HUD in the 737. Chasing the SID waypoints in HUD mode at TOGA power while climbing at around 5000 ft/min is immensely cool. In the A320 I turn on AP as soon as possible after taking off but in the 737 I hand fly almost the whole SID. It’s just too hard to see the flight director on the PFD. I’m hoping the Fenix A320 has a HUD.

1 Like