PMDG 737 Discussion (PC Version) (Part 1)

Same thought… this is exactly what happens when disconnecting ground power while the APU is not on the bus or disconnecting APU power when the engines are not on the bus.

Just completed my first flight (aside from the tutorial which honestly wasn’t up to PMDG standards) and it left me feeling incredibly satisfied. When I first got this product, I was a bit overwhelmed about the complexity of the systems on this jet (coming from the CRJ which is a jet with a very crew-friendly, highly automated cockpit). I think I’m getting the hang of this! I can actually run through the flows without having to pause for 5 minutes while I read up on the process. I still need to get more familiar with the FMS / autopilot. I can make the jet do what I need it to do but I know there are better ways.

My only complaint is with the setup process (both the individual jet and all the ground servicing options) via the FMC. I would much prefer that PMDG transfers all of this to the EFB once that is introducted. Aerosoft has these features on the EFB and it’s much more intuitive with a semi-graphical interface, instead of going though the FMC.

All in all, a very satisfying product.

3 Likes

I’d be very surprised/disappointed if most, if not all, of the aircraft setup options weren’t transferred to the EFB when it appears.

That would leave the systems you would normally find in the real aircraft as realistic as possible.

1 Like

HDG mode pointing a few degrees off selected Heading?
Anyone have this issue…

Do you mean the nose of the plane is offset or that the plane is actually flying a different track? If you have a substantial crosswind, the nose will weathervane a bit but the ground track should match your selected heading.

2 Likes

I did consider crosswind ive just never seen the behavior before, the track on the Navigation display is slightly off of selection, where i can see the heading i have selected and the aircraft is actually pointing away left/right a few degrees.

It adjusts for wind

My understanding is that when you load these performance details it takes values programmed to the livery. It takes nothing from Simbrief.

It’s a good idea to research the CI used by your preferred airlines and also to customise the pax and cargo values in a dedicated Simbrief profile. All explained very well here by the excellent 737ng driver:

1 Like

Ah - that makes sense now. Thank you!

NP. I had the same confusion at first! I’m still finding I cant get the ZFW etc to match exactly between what Simbrief gives and what the 737 calculates even if I make sure all the Simbrief values for airframe and pax weight are aligned with what PMDG uses in the .cfg. But the difference (possibly related to fuel density) is minor enough.

I have stopped trying to get the Simbrief pax numbers to match at all. I use Block Fuel and ZFW and just go with that. If you add in as much other stuff as you can (TO winds, leg winds, descent winds for instance) my flights go pretty much right according to plan, absent pilot errors. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yeah, the difference is trivial. I’m more exercised usually why I can’t get VNAV to arm…

I get that too, and was hoping it wasn’t me. :slight_smile:

It’s usually on the climb out where I’ve set a de-rated take-off and climb, so was wondering if it’s probably to do with that?

So not only am I watching the temperature to see if the fuel density makes sense, I’m now saving virtual fuel and working my cost index. At this point, I’m thinking of buying a rakish pilot hat and just be done with it… :wink: :clown_face:

Unrelated, but on this topic, saw a preview of the upcoming updates here:

99% of the time it’s pilot error in my case. You have to have all T/O data correctly set, including wind. I also usually have a 22K and CLB-2 derate. Never considered that might be an issue. Hmm.

That’s not been a problem for me. Make sure you have a DEST and ARR airport filled in; that you request a PERF INIT and execute that, and that once that is completed, every waypoint in your LEGS page has full data listed.

1 Like

As you say. I usually put in TO winds and use Simbrief to give me descent wind, but I use the average wind values from Simbrief rather than for each leg. Will try with all legs. It’s getting it to arm on the ground for a VNAV departure that has usually been my issue.

Hmm. I’ve never armed VNAV on the ground. I simply line up, advance throttles to 40% standing on the brakes until thrust on both engines is up and stable, then hit TOGA.

Once the gear is up and I’m climbing through 2,000’ AGL or so, I turn toward the first SID waypoint, engage LNAV, engage VNAV, then hit CMD A to get the automation going. The AP finishes the climb and transitions into cruise as expected. Reduce the altitude in the MCP about 10 - 20 miles ahead of TOD, and VNAV handles the descent all the way to the final approach fix.

1 Like

I cannot arm VNAV on the ground when I select a cutback(i think the setting was called) departure.

1 Like

I’ve run into the same issue, and what I found is that although I thought I entered/executed everything correctly (the LED above the execute button is not lit), if I go back to the INIT REF page the LED suddenly lights up, and then after I press ‘EXEC’ the VNAV will arm for me.

Dunno, could be that I do really miss the exec at some point and then the indicator just resets so I don’t notice, just thought I’d mention this…

1 Like

Good to hear. Will test this also. Maybe there is a bug? As sometimes I’ve triple checked my settings and still not been able to get VNAV to arm.