PMDG 737 Discussion (PC Version) (Part 1)

You don’t be worry,

your Center will tell you if new version is released. I expect maybe some betatesters can be here…

If some one bought 737 after last update, no logical confusions…

OK I am not worried I just wanted to know if the Version I have (3.0.20) is the original version that the PMDG was released.

1 Like

If i can say,

i just load after while Center and also read here Forum, if Center update addon check says no new update, i don’t care, I have last version. Sry forgot to say, if my version is pmdg original is depended to Center sw, you don’t have other choices probably.

No we don’t have HGS even on the MAX. As far as I know they’re not very cost effective. The HGS is normally only used for take off and landing and it only serves a purpose during low visibility operations. Of course the pilot may choose to unfold it anytime but why. The excitement of having these toys wears off very quickly. They only allow you to use the LTS minimums (lower than standard) available in some places for landing and the lowest LVTO minimums (low visibility take off) when the airport has defined and enforced LVOs (low visibility operations). The advantage is not huge.

There aren’t many places with LTS minimums. For example in EGSS you’d be ok for takeoff with 125m RVR but if you have the HGS you can take off with 75m if LVP are enforced by the airport and reflected on the ATIS. On another example, for landing CATI in EGSS you need 550m RVR. If you have the HGS you can shoot a CATI with 400m RVR. But then again why would you not just land CATIII?

With CATIIIA operations approved, there are very few places where we can’t land in fog. A notorious one would be EPKK, which doesn’t have LVOs and has a very persistent fog season (diversion season). Having the HGS would still not make that landing possible because the airport does not have LVOs and 400m RVR is required for take off no matter what (550mRVR for landing). So all in all, the HGS is heavy and expensive, it’s one more thing that can break down and possibly ground the airplane (It’s probably MEL category C) and the advantage of having it is really not that big.

6 Likes

Yes, as of today, 3.0.20 is current release version. A higher version was handed to the beta testers to make sure nothing big was broken and it will be released in days. When the new version comes out, you’ll see it in the PMDG Operations Center.

1 Like

You say that but USAF pilots have HUDs in some of their long-haul aircraft (transports and aerial tankers) now. There was a maintenance issue a number of years ago when the HUD electronics were failing much sooner (calendar time) than expected. When Boeing investigated as part of their support contract, they determined that pilots were using the HUD pretty much full-time in flight. Flight crews said they loved having that info available in their natural sight lines all the time and once they got used to it, they didn’t want to do without it.

No, the current version is the first update that was released a couple weeks ago. There was an initial version with a lower revision number at launch.

I don’t know how they fly in the USAF but I can guarantee you that in an airliner the natural line of sight in cruise does not go through the windows. In fact most of the times those windows are covered in the cruise to block the sun.

I don’t know about the particular case you’re talking about but it wouldn’t hard to imagine that Boeing said that as an excuse for the failing HUDs. Pilots can love something but if the airline doesn’t find that thing to be cost effective or a tangible improvement to safety, if it’s an optional item most likely they will not invest in it.

The way we fly LOW VIS approaches in companies with modern SOPs is as a “monitored approach”. The first officer does the approach staring at the instruments down to taxi speeds and the captain will look inside and outside and he will take over control as soon as he acquires visual reference. We do this on marginal CATI conditions and on all approaches requiring an autoland.

[quote=“FormerSnail5736, post:4448, topic:423051”]
In fact most of the times those windows are covered in the cruise to block the sun.
Oh dear - what happened to look out!!

1 Like

any news on the upcoming update? we are in mid week just randazzo said i would be released

It stayed in VFR operations.
What are you expecting to see outside during the cruise? And at night? All the information comes in through the instruments (FMC, TCAS, WxRADAR). There’s little need to look outside all the time during cruise.

Hey all, looking for some guidance on takeoff performance and settings/parameters within the FMC.

I’ve been flying this bird exclusively for over 6 weeks now and recently purchased A Pilot’s LIfe 2 as a career addon. It’s a pretty good addition to the sim and adds some really nice features if you’re into building a virtual career as an airline pilot.

One of the main features is a grading (rating) system that evaluates several main aspects of each flight and then awards points based on those performance measures. Basically you start with 100 points for each flight and then get dinged for a variety of mistakes bringing your total score down with each violation. Obviously if you make zero mistakes you score 100. My high score to date is 91 and after 15 flights I’m averaging just over 85.

Which brings me to my point. My biggest and most consistent violation is not allowing the nose to pitch greater than +20 degrees or -10 degrees. So far I’ve not had any problem on the nose down but on takeoff I’ve only managed one flight where I didn’t pitch up over 20 degrees and that particular flight I kept the A/P off for longer than I normally would and hand flew until I felt comfortable engaging the A/P and on that particular flight it held below the pitch angle. However subsequent flights have not been so good for me. The second I engage A/P the plane shoots up on a 30 degree pitch like it can’t wait to get to indicated alt.

Note: Flight plans are being developed in Simbrief and imported into the FMC.

When you engage AP, are you using VNAV, V/S, or LVL CHG?

Update is out. Current version will be 3.0.24 after the update.

4 Likes

I use VNAV.

Do you use a derate? I’m no expert but I usually do a TO 2 derate (i.e. less engine power) to keep things a little less rocketship-like.

That has been discussed here a few times before. Real world pilots mostly don’t use VNAV for initial climbs. I use V/S mode and I engage VNAV above 4,000 feet. Mostly in derated climb too.

I’ve not messed with that setting. I shall explore that, thank you!

This is a good thought. I will try this on my next flight. Something around 2500’-3000’/min.? I think that should be good.

2 Likes

Yes, you got it, 2500-3000 fpm. And for derate/flex settings I use this calculator:

Virtual Performance Tool

It’s for free now but they will change to a subscription model later on. You can just try it. They have only a calculator for 737-800 but for derate/flex it works fine. Then you can use V-speeds that are calculated by your FMS. I hope this calculation comes with the EFB that PMDG are working on. Fenix A320 got it and it’s great.

I’ll check it out too. Thanks a bunch for the help! :beers:

1 Like