PMDG 737 Discussion (PC Version) (Part 1)

Explained in FCOM 11.31 Flight Management, Navigation - Flight Management System Operation - Manually Entered Latitude/ Longitude Waypoint Names

4 Likes

Two week into my 737-800 journey and I absolutely love it.
Been practicing the hardest part of the flight (IMO Approach) and sorted my speed-fu at final and touchdown.

Along the way I learned, arm spoilers pre landing, and also not at takeoff (it’s not the A320, dude :joy:). Carefully manage speed and flaps, ALT with LVL CHG and SPD options are your friends.
And at that point it’s just a bigger, faster C414 to me :+1:t2:.

Now for VATSIM, to have me make a right mess of things :nerd_face:

1 Like

Is this data entered in the RTE page or LEGS as mentioned above?

Dying for the 900 now. Can’t wait to do some longer flights!

1 Like

Appreciate I’m late to the party, just downloaded and installed the 737-600 which is the first PMDG title I have owned in 40 years of simming… I’m impressed, both with the ease of use and the minimal impact on frame rates.

I have the Fenix 320 and nice as it is it’s harder on the frames and does required a bit more work to get initialised (controls etc).

Looking forward to exploring the PMDG in more detail!

4 Likes

i was astonished when i saw how well it ran on my rig which is far from top notch

it’s really a pleasure to see how well such a high fidelity addon can be well optmized

3 Likes

Longer flights? The 900 has about the same range as the 800 and 700. The longest range unsurprisingly is the 600.

5 Likes

I understand , but it the USA they seem to use them a lot on the longer routes that were covered by the 757. Also is it not a 900ER as in Extended Range? version that PMDG are doing?

Maybe I have got that wrong about the 900ER, also might be denser routes, I dont know then I guess, but I will be happy doing Alaskan 900 routes :slight_smile:

I love doing the 767-400 Routes in X-plane

Yesterday I did a flight from Amsterdam to Gothenburg (EHAM-ESGG) and during my descent when I switched from standard barometic pressure to local it messed up my VNAV completely. The difference in altitude was so great that I ended up 1000 ft above the glide path and the VNAV never tried to catch up. I could have done a v/s-descent but I wanted to see if it would do something about it automatically. Even after capturing the glide slope I was 1000 ft above it so appearantly I wasn’t on the glide slope even if my PFD said so.

Am I doing something wrong here? I never had this before, the VNAV always handled the transition from standard to local barometic pressure itself.

The transition level of ESGG is 5000ft so there should of been time to adjust. At what altitude did you change to local pressure? I have a feeling this may of been a sim weather glitch.

The other day on climb from EGLL for a brief few minutes the air temp at FL270 was still 18 C and then it flipped to -37. I think sometimes the weather engine can have issues. I dont know, but I dont think it is the fault of the PMDG in your case.

Hi There’s definitly a problem assigning exterior lights to the Bravo or Alpha Honeycomb with the 737. Eventually the “best” compromise I have found to set it up is as follows : (Did it with the BRAVO buttons)

Go to MSFS CONTROLS OPTIONS
Select ALPHA FLIGHT CONTROL (BRAVO)
Select LIGHTS then EXTERIOR LIGHTS
Then, as an example for the TAXI LIGHTS select TOGGLE TAXI LIGHTS and scan button 25.

Once done and back into your VC (Considering that the button on BRAVO is positioned in 26) to start the taxi lights put it in position 25 and immediatly back in position 26. This should activate the taxi button into the VC. Same manipulation to put the taxi lights off .

Do the same for all buttons i.e BEACON/LANDING etc…

At least it works for me and although not quite realistic at least you get your VC looking like IRL:

1 Like

Were you making an ILS approach? If the FMA at the top-right of your PFD does not say “GS” in green, but instead says “GP”, that means you have not captured the glideslope signal for the ILS. Instead, the plane is telling you it’s flying a GPS route. Did you see the magenta diamond on the right side of the PFD? What altitude did you have set on the MCP at the time you changed back to local pressure? And did your FMC ever tell you DRAG REQUIRED?

Gotta say, if the transition level at that airport is realy 5,000’, it shows the advantage in this circumstance of the US-standard 18,000;. When there’s a substantial difference between local and standard pressure, you still have a long time for the VNAV to account for it.

Legs page. This is how you add points without there being a defined waypoint or navaid with a name. I have never had to enter a point in the legs page this way in real life for navigation purposes. This is because I fly short/medium haul over land where there are airways and points. I may have done it to draw an engine out route after a pilot created discontinuity at the end of the route for practical purposes. In Oceanic navigation it’s more common to enter points this way when flying in MNPS airspace.

In the RTE page you would always enter airways to a point and these points along airways are always defined by a proper name.

1 Like

The ER brought the range of the 900 to similar levels of the 700 and 800.

3 Likes

I don’t know if it’s okay to post a screenshot here, but I’ll upload it here. If it’s against the rules then administrators can remove it painlessly.
Decided to share with the community.
Once again - thanks for the plane!

13 Likes

When doing cold and dark start ups (in the 800) is there a reason why I can start the engines when all fuel pumps are off. I just noticed one time I forgot to turn the pumps on and the aircraft engines still start. Is this normal?

Yes, it’s normal. At low throttle settings, the engines can be suction-fed. If you tried to take off, you’d likely suffer an engine flame-out due to low fuel flow.

1 Like

thanks, interesting to know.

Screenshots are fine as far as I know. If you posted too many in one post, or complain about rivets all the time, someone may flag your post.

2 Likes

Lol I see what you did there.

2 Likes