PMDG 737 Discussion (PC Version) (Part 1)

I do also hope when people give “constructive” criticism they don’t use P3D (or XP) as a reference. Again i saw people on streams asking if this thing flies like the P3D version. And the streamer giving feedback on it that never flew a 737 in real-life. We don’t want a 737 that handflies “as P3D as it gets”. We want one that handflies “as real as it gets”. Let’s stop using other simulators as references just because we are used to them. In my experience until now P3D has/had far more limitations when it comes to handflying than MSFS ever had.
Thats one one of the top reasons I switched over (above the visuals).

10 Likes

The recent British AVGeek stream seemed to show some odd behavior with approach mode. He was clicking fast and furious on the mode control panel so I’m not sure if he just got something out of order. It seemed like the PFD was showing he was locked to LOC and G/S, but the APPR button would not illuminate and he was not on the glide slope according to the diamonds on the PFD. He had to disconnect A/P on final and hand fly it in. He said he was close to just declaring a go around.

Again, hard to follow everything real time on a stream, so I don’t know what really happened.

1 Like

He also experienced the bounce bug on touchdown. Hopefully it allows the PMDG team to further pinpoint the cause

Ah, I didn’t watch his second landing. It seemed like it happened right when the front gear touched down? Just a guess on my part.

A bit off topic, but how did he rewind and try his landing again? I had no idea that was a thing.

Have to say that i was more leaning towards the 146, but from what i have seen so far and reports of the plane being very fos friendly i am swaying very hard towards the 737

FlightControlReplay maybe. This tool allows to rewind the last couple of minutes and re-take control at any point. I think other replay tools have the same feature. Pretty handy.

As far as the 737, I think they will have to put the planned release on hold for now and find out what’s causing this. It already happened far too often in the few streams I’ve watched so far.

1 Like

Where (time?) is the bounce bug in this video? Quickly scanned through the video, but could not find the time location of the bounce bug…

1 Like

4hr 11min in

2 Likes

Ow boy this is going to delay again

So sick and tired of all issues with the sim :frowning:
Everytime something is hyped and i am fired up … delays and disappointment and bugs

Am in flightsims since monochrome monitors and intel 8086 processors … but these last 1.5 years are killing the fun.

Also the fact that marketing is ruling … in this case releasing the less popular versions MONTHS before the popular models … despite they are 99.9% the same. Money money

Had the same with the CRJ … hyping like crazy … horrible customer service … still bugged

Realy hope this bug can be solved soon and the -800 will be released sooner … but money rules i am affraid ( understand that … but this is getting rediculous ).

2 Likes

I don’t expect the -800 anytime before August. That is, when the -700 releases early May (after SU9 release Tuesday), there will be 6 weeks to pass before the -600 is released and then another 6 weeks for the -800.

Hopefully I am wrong though.

With regards to your point of money and marketing dictating the 737 release schedule, I saw this addressed in a twitch stream from Chewwy94, a beta tester of the 737 and ‘good friend’ of the PMDG team. A viewer mentioned something about the release order and Chewwy explained that the -800 requires more development time than both the -600 & -700. Not sure about any systems differences but performance/flight model wise this makes sense that the -800 would be the most development intensive. Its not really a matter of ‘money rules I’m afraid’ but simply a matter of labor hours. The current release schedule gives the development team time to breathe and work properly on each individual variant. If marketing and money was dictating the schedule would they not wish to release the most popular variant first if they could, to maximize time on the market? I do agree with your point that the wait is painfully antagonizing but it was the same situation with PMDGs fsx release. It took them years to make. I implore you to have faith that our 737 is in good hands and the long wait will be more than worthwhile; the hardwork and sweat from the PMDG team will show when we can finally get our hands on it.

2 Likes

The Flying Fabio has just managed to replicate the 737 freaking out, multiple times.
Flaps 40 seems to be a definite trigger.

He got the freak out when landing. Slewed, and set flaps 30.
Stable.
Set flaps 40.
Freak out.
Slewed, and set flaps 30.
Stable.
Set flaps 40.
Freak out.
Set flaps 30.
Stable.

Hopefully that’ll get some traction on fixing this bug.

6 Likes

Here are examples of actual 337 wing flex IRL:

—Turbulence

—Extreme Turbulence, or more turbulence if you want to argue semantics. Lol

The turbulence exhibited by PMDG 737 looks more Extreme than it should be. It looks like it could use more dampening since it’s behaving like Jell-O.

2 Likes

Extreme turbulence?

4 Likes

Watching his stream now - looks to be related to Flaps 40 + spoilers being armed (or spoilers deploying, rather). He has a PMPG guy in his chat so hopefully this means this bug is close to being squashed.

5 Likes

That is disappointing. The web-based MCDU on a tablet is so awesome for the FBW A320. I don’t think I could live without it in an airliner!!

I think that you’ll surprise yourself.

Maybe carry on flying the FBW A320 and wait for the promised subsequent B737 update, to add the EFB, before you buy it?

I know you’re quoting what Chewwy said, but I honestly don’t buy this one bit. Avionics and systems wise a 737-800 and 737-700 are identical. The only difference is 3d modeling and the performance and flight model. The choice to release the 737-700 was a strategic one to increase sales plain and simple (had to reset putting plane for a nice pun :slight_smile: ).

If PMDG had concentrated on the 737-800 it would be releasing within the same timeline as the 700 version because there aren’t any more or less calculations flight model wise between the two. The honest truth is that most people are only interested in flying the 800 version since it represents ~73% of the NGs ever built and delivered. By releasing the 700 then 600 version first they will take advantage of the population who will be too impatient to wait for the 800. I saw a Ryanair livery in a stream, which gave me a chuckle, because Ryanair only has 1 737-700 variant that is used for training/charters. The other 400 plus are all the 800 variant (their normal flight ops). I don’t mean any of this in a negative way towards you, but PMDG made this strategic decision to increase their intake. I can’t blame the business sense it makes for their company, but on the customer side I am grumpy and to a small degree my grumpiness is justified.

5 Likes

You contradict yourself multiple times in this post. Specifically you say ‘the only difference is 3D modeling and the performance and flight model’ (which I also said almost verbatim in the post you replied to). Then you say ‘the 800 would be released within the same timeline if they had focused on it because there aren’t any more or less calculations between the two’. I’m sure in hindsight its easy for you to see this contradiction but maybe you missed it when you typed this post. Also you say you don’t buy what the developers have to say about it, then go on to use assert your own take with wordage like ‘plain and simple’. The only thing that is ‘plain and simple’ is what we know from the developers themselves which is that the -800 takes more time to develop, regardless of whether you believe them or not. We should be excited and happy that we are getting the -700 and -600. You’ve waited two years already, surely 12 more weeks after initial release won’t trouble you that much more for an aircraft of spectacular quality. Its important to keep our grumpiness in reserve for sim update chaos :sunglasses:

1 Like

I don’t actually think that I contradicted myself :slight_smile: . I said the avionics and systems are identical, and I made a point that there are some differences with 3D models and flight performance. I also made that point due to your post. Differences don’t automatically equal difficulty, in other words just because the 700 is slightly different from the 800 doesn’t mean the 800 is more difficult to make. My point is that if you are building a 700 vs 800 3D model, one isn’t harder than the other per se. The initial model is the hardest to build from scratch then you can make the modifications to either shorten or lengthen the fuselage, which is the ONLY difference 3D model wise. PMDG chose to do 700 to 600 to 800, but they could have within the same timeline on 3D models went 800-700-600. The 800 3D model doesn’t rely on the 700 so they could have reversed the order. Also PMDG already has the models although I’m sure extensive work went into updating them. Hence the 3D model doesn’t limit which one they can do first.

On that same note, flight performance and numbers need a base then they can be modified to meet the specs for the other model. Again, PMDG went the route they did for money. They could have within the same time frame went 800-700-600-900. Of course, I don’t know inside info here, but in my opinion the logic is decently sound. Also, they used to do the 737ngxu package of the 800/900 with an expansion for the 600/700 within Prepard3d to prove my point. They changed with msfs to adopt a pay for each variant approach and shifted which was released first.

3 Likes