PMDG 737 Discussion (PC Version) (Part 1)

Just to chime in with others here with my unsolicited .02, I initially thought it was overdone also, but having flown on a pair of -700s this past weekend with wing seats, it is indeed pretty accurate. I was surprised.

5 Likes

Well, if it’s not able to land at Saba it’s a no go for me.

3 Likes

Fabio did several Flap 40 landings in his stream that just ended. No trampolining 737 on any of them, so maybe they’re getting to the bottom of it. Obviously they’re going to have to do a lot more testing, but I’m going to take it as a positive.

3 Likes

I was thinking “over the hill” on Runway 10 at St. Bart but pick your poison. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m not so sure of that. The arcade players will think it’s too expensive and stick to the A320 and the extremely annoying F/A-18.

Totally agree. Not realistic at all.

1 Like

In case you missed it, check out this video. I’d say the PMDG simulated wing flex is quite realistic.

3 Likes

This wing flex topic is very interesting. We’ve got people saying it’s realistic, people saying it’s exaggerated and then the plebs like me who have no idea which is correct lol.

I’m sure I remember a stream where someone in chat said they’re a 737 captain and the flex was realistic and in fact they don’t like looking at the wings when they fly because of the way they flex and shake. I’m 90% sure I remember that, although I’ve watched a lot of streams of this plane now.

1 Like

I was on a 737 in rough air a little over a week ago. The wing flex in the videos I’ve seen for the PMDG isn’t exaggerated.

7 Likes

In pmdg it happens all the time, not just in extreme turbulence, that’s why it looks a bit over the top to me.

1 Like

Yes, this was one of Fabio’s streams. Got to say that if that’s the worst that people can come up with to complain about…

2 Likes

Was the captain saying they were bad, or that they’re good because in the real plane the flex so much they don’t like looking at them?

The wings flexes quite a bit IRL even in pretty smooth air. Sat in one tis easter.

1 Like

I’m probably in one next Wednesday. Will have a look then. It’s the frequency of the flutter (by lack of a better word) that looked a bit weird to me in the streams I watched.

2 Likes

“Flutter” is actually a term of art in aerodynamics and structural analysis. What we see in the PMDG videos is not “flutter,” as an engineer uses the term. Flutter generally refers to chaotic, a-periodic oscillations of varying magnitude that can cause structural damage or outright failure. Don’t @‘me with a textbook definition, please - I’m giving a lay explanation based on my decades-ago education, not trying lecture future engineers in a classroom. :wink:

Anyway, the flex shown in the video seems pretty realistic to me, an aerospace engineer who has flown in a lot of Seven-Three’s over the years watching the wings out of professional interest.

6 Likes

Thanks, you guys convinced me. I’ll stay silent on the 737 wingflex from now on :slight_smile:

Me too. Just I want to fly that bird :wink:

1 Like

This is making me want to go fly somewhere on a 737 in real life because the last time I flew somewhere, US, AirTran, Continental, and Northwest were all still airlines :slight_smile: getting back on subject I hope we eventually get an AirTran paint scheme for the 737 700

I feel like the 737-700 is the best version for me. I like short airline flights and until the ATR comes out this should be perfect for that.

1 Like

The -700 is good for small airports like KASE using the BBJ and KEYW with the United livery, both are realistic. You’ll never see an -800 at those airports

1 Like