PMDG 737 in VR

I guessed that I was having VRAM limitations when I tried a flight from KBFI north to KPAE which takes about 15 minutes. Performance with my 9700K@4.8Ghz and my RTX2070 with 8gb VRAM and Quest2+OXRTK started at 26.5 (one-third of 80) which was fine in complex city environments. However, the FPS dropped to 11 or so a few minutes later with a lot of stutter and this continued through the rest of the flight. I tried to reduce VRAM by setting the MSFS Texture Resolution from High to Medium (both VR and PC just in case) and repeated the flight and was able to maintain the 26.5 (ASW / Motion Reprojection - no SteamVR) pretty well. I am wondering if you other pilots with a similar video card and VRAM@8Gb have experienced the same issue. Anyway, the PMDG737 looks and feels great so far especially in VR.

Quality simulator
Quality aircraft
Quality experience in VR

Iā€™m happy !! love you all , Asobo, PMDG and my trusty G2, oh and openxr toolkit :fist:

3 Likes

I find the HUD in VR isnā€™t correctly aligned. Wish we had a way to adjust it (forward or back). For now I have to slew the view to get it positioned just right but that ruins the view without the HUD.

VR works really well. They have nailed VR zoom for me. You can zoom right through the Yoke. Unfortunately with BAE-146 you canā€™t do that. The flap handle animation and control column movement is a bit jerky. Happens even when I am showing FPS 40+ I would like that smoother.

Yeah, the animations have always had a low render rate for all of PMDGā€™s stuff. I hope that changes soon.

Here is a very simple quick tutorial that covers setting up a route directly on the CDU in five minutes or less.

I feel very at home in this PMDG cockpit in VR - I worked for over 20 years at Boeing in Seattle developing their engineering flight sim but retired in 2002. This sim just feels - and looks so correct.
We really have to feel bad for all the 2D flyers when it comes to this aircraft - I look out the side window and can see my winglet, the MCP works very well, and the displays are just so accurate and smooth. Iā€™ve enjoyed flying in VR for several years but this combo - super accurate cockpit and awesome view outside with great weather just makes you want to fly - especially low down to the terrain even if that isnā€™t the airline concept - think of it as a test flight or your own BBJ and you get to go where you want to go!

2 Likes

Very good VR experience given by pmdg (very smooth, very accurate).
Very bad experience with msfs mouse jerky movements. This issue was randomic with most of addons, but two pmdg flights, and in both cases the mouse in VR is unisable for 100% of the time.
This issue has been already reported by some users some SU ago, still thereā€¦
At least, after last SU I have no more CTD so now the problem is the mouse. Last update fixed also the flickering.
Lets hope in the futureā€¦ But actually pmdg is unflyable for me

I was thinking the same. It looked thinner than the real one to me.

Canā€™t grab yoke with VR controllersā€¦ Iā€™m so disappointedā€¦

1 Like

Performance is good. The scale is way too small and itā€™s blatantly obvious. Not great from a VR perspective.

Not for me, VR is excellent.

1 Like

If you donā€™t like the scale, which I agree seems too small, just change it using the OpenXR Toolkit.

4 Likes

VR is a dream come true! While the controlls are a bit of a hit or miss, I am able to setup most of the aircraft and fly.

Dials are virtually unusable as you cant select which direction you want to go to consistently. Toggle switches are easy as long as they only have 2 options, add 3 or 4 and it gets dicey.

With that being said, I have completed a few flights and I have enjoyed every one.

The scale also for me feels great.

I have flown with the Varjo Aero, Quest 2 and Reverb G2, 12900k + 3090 and the Aero provided the best performance and visuals, and somehow I am able to get great performance from the Quest 2 with decent visuals but the G2 has been hit or miss, some good flights others FPS drops which make no sense but overall, its been great.

I started a new community folder with only PMDG 737, C414, C310 and Navigraph files lol.

I find the view out of the cockpit to be completely washed out. I mean the view tends to be washed out in general in VR in this game for me, but the 737 seems especially prone to it. I have EyeAdaptation turned off but its still completely washed out. The colors in the outside world are so bland in VR its not funny. Surely I am not the only one who notices this?

The plane itselfā€¦ Awesome!

3 Likes

The yoke + cockpit dimensions are too small. The yoke looks like a little toy and the cockpit reminds me of the Cessna I used to fly, and im 6ā€™4 lol.The Pmdg 737 feels similar to the default 748 VR scale wise. It just feelsā€¦tiny. Comparatively speaking, the 146 feels perfect with regards to scale. The colors also seem a little washed out/bland appearing.

Ill check out open xr and mess with it there. :slight_smile:

Hopefully they fix the HUD. Itā€™s not aligned correctly in VR.

2 Likes

I also felt it seemed a lot smaller than the airbus in VR but googled the dimensions and found the cabin is indeed narrower. I imagine both aircraft are modelled using real world units so surely they would be consistent at the same world scale in the sim?

Anyway I have also bumped up the scale using the fantastic open xr toolkit to what ā€œfeels rightā€ - having never sat in the cockpit of a 737 and only a320 a couple of times I would be surprised if I have got it accurate though!

I use to fly the zibo in VR (RiftS) and the scale of this rendition is just ok in my opinion. Tight cockpit compared to the Bus.
Itā€™s all close to perfection, perfect plane, amazing sounds, awesome views outside. The only thing I miss is having my buddy in shared cockpit for a perfect vatsim experience.

What caused me to question the dimensions was not just the overly cramped space, but the size of the yoke. It looks like a toy. It feels like you are a giant when you sit inside lol

knowing PDMG, they have it right up to the milimeter. Guess itā€™s all in your personal perception, but the toolkit takes care of any size/scale issue you might have.

1 Like