PMDG Douglas DC-6

PMDG don’t have neither manpower nor motivation to keep all of their products updated across all platforms and various updates to those platforms, much like Aerosoft.

I suspect 737 will meet similar fate once the last paid variant is released.

2 Likes

Yep…which is why I’ve decided to steer clear of the 737. It’s a pity about the DC6 because at one point it was the best AC in the sim by quite a margin.
The thing is though they are still selling it even though it’s mostly broken in its current state. I would be mighty confused if I had bought it recently unaware of it’s problems. And after being confused I’d be getting a refund.

Yeah the gyropilot issues were reported six months ago and there doesn’t seem to be light at the end of the tunnel yet.

Thanks, that was a great tip! Works like a charm

Interesting. I just tried this and the weaving from side to side was worse than ever. it got so bad the plane eventually fell out of the sky.

Oh wow, that sounds bad. Luckily never experienced it, but i hope it gets fixed.

Yeah I think I’ll put this plane away until PMDG do something about it.

From the famous mr PMDG on their forum:

PMDG DC-6 Cloudmaster Update Pending:
A few weeks back we released an update to the PMDG DC-6 that dramatically improved the airplane for some users, and dramatically unimproved the airplane for others. The DC-6 team has been hard at work researching/evaluating/developing through these teething issues and a new update is pending soon. We are unfortunately a bit tied to the avionics update that Asobo has pending for the simulation platform. Some of the improvements/changes to the DC-6 require an update that is not yet available to customers flying MSFS- so we are waiting for that update to drop before we release the next round of improvements for the DC-6. WIth this update you will have a greater range of GPS options available to you in the cockpit, as well as an improved trim and flight characteristic model and updates to make the autopilot more (possibly unrealistically) stable when tracking a course or an approach.)

6 Likes

Despite some Gyro Pilot issues, still enjoying this bird a lot. Did a nice flight from ST Gallen to Innsbruck.

Had to take a long way around to make room for the Loc 26 approach. She handled that steep approach really well but we had to use all available drag.
Helped a lot to get the screen of the WT GPS fixed.

3 Likes

This was my message to Rob…

DC-6 has a special place in my heart.

Rob, thanks for the update, it was overdue and I can tell you one thing… Passion for aviation and its simulation was never a thing I have ever doubted with you and the team. I have been trying to keep the hounds at bay since my recent return to flight simulation… I can relate to all the challenges as I have been through a separation with a long-term partner, followed by the loss of my grandmother (at 95 years old, but… the longer we have them, the more it hurts), and finally my cancer diagnosis and treatment (thankfully early caught and after surgery things look well)… It’s been a LOT. A whole bucket of stupid. But the great news is… I am now back to my passion of aviation. After my exodus, the 737-800 was my first purchase. I have done most flights with it since. I am looking forward to getting the others but the DC-6 gyro issue was a heartbreak. I loved that bird. I have flown procedures with my grandma watching and now that she is gone, it’s hurting that I can’t fly it for a while. That brings the message - what you guys do resontates on so many levels beyond what is commonly perceived. Like I said, PMDG had a direct influence on my relationship with grandma…who would have thought? She has been gone since Oct 24th and here I am, still flying PMDG. Thank you for that. I am looking forward to everything you have coming, but PLEASE, fix our DC-6… It’s THAT important to me personally. She loved it. I miss her and flying it. Clear skies to you, Captain,

11 Likes

By and large, they’re a good developer. They seem to care about the products they sell. This obviously translates into delays as they (I presume) want to make sure things are right. I do think they focus on the 737’s too much to the detriment of the DC-6, but that’s my opinion and of course I have nothing factual to back up that assertion.

2 Likes

Their heart is in the right place. I just wish they already announce end of life for P3D products (I own ALL of them)… Like it or not, P3D is dead in the water. Focus on MSFS DC-6 and 737 with EFB. Then bring on the other goodies. I can tell they give a ■■■■.

4 Likes

This DC6 is a mess for 3veryon3 not for some others as Randazzo says. It’s a shame a so good airplane left languishing since 6 months and more. This is not fair.

1 Like

They have a “DC-6 team”?! Where have they been…? Sounds like a nice chilled out job to have :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

This DC6 is a mess for 3veryon3

nonsense… I fly it almost every day and if treated like a 50’s aircraft it flys perfectly fine. The issues appear if you want to fly it like a 737 for reasons that are beyond me.

2 Likes

They have a team for everything they do. Doesn’t mean that’s the team’s only project though. ^^ The Dc6 is vastly different from a 737, obviously, and not everyone at PMDG knows about its details.

1 Like

I was flying my DC-6 VOR to VOR and since 6 months all of us have problems with this PMDG airplane. You are just the one saying she is perfect for you. No fanboys here, thanks.

1 Like

I understand their anger, since I have once gone thru the Op. handbook of CPA’s very first DC-6B in 1957.
Similar to C-118A manual (1962 military version of the DC-6A), it indicates the possiblity of autopiloting in long haul -

So it has some radio navigation to work at least in early 1960s, I believe?

1 Like

You right, and the old plane releases are abandoned ware like the X-Plane DC-6.

1 Like

Not before time. From the sounds of it though they are waiting on an Asobo update so they can make their changes. We might be waiting a while yet I’m thinking.

1 Like