Pmdg fs2024

Just one very simple question,

Will the PMDG work bought via there website using PMDG operations center?

-Bram

1 Like

I’m fairly sure it will.

It will likely require an update of the OC, to recognize the two MSFS versions, but I don’t see it any more difficult that having to recognize the MS store and the Steam versions of the sim.

2 Likes

I would be very surprised if they’ll try to sell you the plane again. But maybe they’ll include a EFB with the 2024 version? Or maybe that’s for the 2028 version.

You’ll have to wait for a statement from them.

3 Likes

Thank you for the reply’s. It makes sense.

Yes, PMDG will work.
From the FS2024 FAQ:
“Current aircraft and airports that are in Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020), as well as virtually all Marketplace add-ons, will be supported in Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024.”

6 Likes

Well, also for previous FS versions Microsoft confirmed the compatibility with previous add-ons but it was never the case so I wouldn’t count too much on this statement.

1 Like

What also comes to mind is the min. sys requirements to run the 2024.
I am in need for a new sim rig anyway and I guess that it should better be a top notch machine as well as solarpanels and a couple of home batteries.
Happy :small_airplane:

3 Likes

also for previous FS versions Microsoft confirmed the compatibility with previous add-ons but it was never the case so I wouldn’t count too much on this statement.

This situation is completely different.

Back then, add-ons could do very different things and, for example, run in-process as a .DLL, with the ability to access the simulator memory, resulting in add-ons that had to be updated even if the simulator version changed slightly, which was very rare in FSX, but very common in P3D.

MSFS doesn’t allow anything of that sort, all add-ons either runs in the WASM sand-box, completely isolated from the simulator memory area, or runs entirely external to it, making just a Simconnect connection and, even right now, it is possible to connect to MSFS even using a Simconnect client made for FSX.

In addition to that, the SDK in MSFS is way more structured and formalized, with not much rooms for hacks and/or developing sceneries using external tools that might have issues so no, I don’t think what has already happened in the past WRT backward compatibility when going from on version to the other, like from FS002 to FS2004 or to FSX, should happen again.

Otherwise Microsoft wouldn’t have said “you won’t have to purchase your add-ons again”, if they suspected a complex conversion might be involved.

3 Likes

From the PMDG forums

6 Likes

I found it interesting that unlike all of the third-party developers that have made comments on this and saying it will be free upgrade path, he specifically leaves out whether we will be charged for planes in MS 2024. I am very confident he did that on purpose. Not good at all.

look at the statement about “forward compatibility of your PMDG products” #1

if it was to be paid then that would not be the notion of the above, as if you have to pay again then that is not “forward compatibility of your PMDG products”.

#1 subject to future clarifications from MS on the intent of MSFS2024

1 Like

I don’t find that worrisome. Robert is very matter of fact. He’s waiting until they have more info, just like the rest of us.

1 Like

“…please refrain from arguing with other on things that nobody has answers to”

It’s like this guy has never actually seen the internet?!?!

It won’t be that much of a resource hogger as it will be available on Xbox on launch date

1 Like

Pmdg released a statement saying “business as usual” no change to anything on there part. All products are scheduled and will cross over. Good times ahead for simulation.

1 Like

I see something different in the FAQ:

“With very few exceptions, virtually all add-ons that work in Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) today will function in Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024. Add-ons that were purchased from the in-simulator Marketplace will not need to be re-purchased in Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024.”

The part you quoted from me is in the answer to the first question in the FAQ:

Will Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024 be a completely standalone sequel, or will it also be offered as a paid update for existing players?

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024 is a standalone simulator and the next-generation sequel to Microsoft Flight Simulator that launched in 2020. Current aircraft and airports that are in Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020), as well as virtually all Marketplace add-ons, will be supported in Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024.

The part you mention is in the answer to the third question.
Will all purchases users have made from the Marketplace be transferrable to the new simulator?

With very few exceptions, virtually all add-ons that work in Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) today will function in Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024. Add-ons that were purchased from the in-simulator Marketplace will not need to be re-purchased in Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024.

Both are basically saying the same thing.
Current addons should be compatible with MSFS2024.

2 Likes

I keep waiting for the internet to grow up.