PMS50 GNS530 mod

What WAAS capability are you thinking of that is currently missing?

The two Biggest things missing are

1. OBS
  2. Missed approach procedures and holding patterns,

Both are waiting on Asobo, to provide the base Kernel functionality, although I believe that some other GPS Mod groups, are going ahead and implementing these two functions with their own base code.

The other things we seem to be waiting on Asobo for are

1. The correct Information to accompany Airport and airspace frequencies,
  2. A way to get the correct Airport ICAO code for a given Runways/ILS
3 Likes

But none of that depends on ā€œWAASā€ as far as I know. I keep hearing people asking about WAAS related features, and Iā€™m wondering what they are? I just donā€™t know.

It seems to me, since the sim knows exactly within mm of where the plane is, well, WAAS is built in automatically. I wasnā€™t aware of any difference in interface or features related to WAAS. But maybe there are?

Forgive my ignorance, but does WAAS facilitate RNAV approaches? When flying an RNAV approach, the GS indicator is Magenta, not Green, and you can stay in GPS mode, rather than switch to VLOC as you would for an ILS approach.

It gives you lateral guidance, I think.

Hereā€™s a decent description of the difference.

What this doesnā€™t cover is what is the MSFS Kernel capable of supporting for vertical guidance with RNAV approaches. As I noted, the sim knows exactly where the plane is. So WAAS already is there in spades.

1 Like

RNAV with vertical Guidance

Does the G1000 or G3000 support that?

I just did on into KCXY on the 3000. The autopilot did not but the vertical GP did work hand flying

@ScorpionFilm422 will have to comment on the capabilities of the kernel. Itā€™s possible the javascript could be written to support it (???), but I have no idea how complicated that would be, or if the kernel supports that.

Hereā€™s another good link that explains the difference between ILS, LPV, and LNAV/RNAV approaches and minima.

ILS - LPV - LNAV/RNAV Approach Differences

1 Like

I have had this happen a time or two, and take ninety or more seconds to resolve. Then - as if by magic - Flight Sim reverts as though the freeze never happened.

Even the moving map (actually the moving aircraft) on Little NavMap freezes in place, but resolves when Flight Sim begins to work again.

I used to force my way out (CTL_ALT_DEL) but Iā€™ve discovered that the ā€œstallā€ ultimately resolves. At least it has in the half-dozen times it has happened to me.

Interesting ā€¦ there may be a Time-out mechanism, if the JS gets in a tight loop ?

Iā€™ve thought thatā€¦ I used to get impatient with it, figuring it was just another freeze or system hang. But since Iā€™ve started waiting it out it has turned out well.

I think @ScorpionFilm422 fixed the bug that made it freeze on Metars, but do you recall, when it Froze, and then later came back, did it stay on the same frozen screen, or did the GPS restart ?

Ahā€¦ yesā€¦ when it comes back all is exactly as it was before the freeze, as though it never even happened. It is as though the software needs ā€œa momentā€ to catch up. In the meantime, Little NavMap (for example) remains fully functional, except for the ā€œfrozenā€ aircraft. This was initially how I deduced that the freeze was limited to Flight Sim code, and not an OS or vcruntime glitch.

2 different things here probably.
The METAR menu freeze (same with directTO menu) is a kind of infinite loop in the java code. It has been fixed and will be available in the next release. When it occurs, the only way is to hardly kill the process.
Temporary freeze: this is a kernel issue that occurs often when starting to select the first letter of an icao waypoint. The freeze is temporary and is fixed after one minute. It usually occurs only one time per fly.

2 Likes

For me WAAS is not relevant at GPS level but at simā€™s level.
The LPV approaches are working well with the GNS530. You just have to be at the correct point and altitude to capture the descent and set the approach mode on the autopilot. Tested with the carenado m20r (that do not display a GPS glidescope in HSI but the plane descends correctly to the runway)

4 Likes

I can confirm that LPV approaches work correctly in the Carenado M20R, and fly both course and glidepath once established. That last bit is important: capture the localizer at the IAF, making certain you are flying to the correct coordinates and at the correct altitude. I use FltPlnGo on my phone or my tablet to get the approach plates for the destination airport.

You can also find downloadable (pdf) approach plates like the one shown below at AirNav.com

Annotation 2021-01-26 113343

Iā€™m practicing for my ifr rating and using the autopilot is not the way to learn, I have to had fly it to pass the check ride

Maybe the plate you showed isnā€™t the best example, being an ILS and all, but is there a way to tell if a non-ILS approach has vertical guidance just based on the chart? The whole GPS/RNAV thing is new since I stopped flying, so Iā€™m still figuring stuff out.

Also, just so you know, a Navigraph subscription gets you Jeppesen plates instead of the default FAA ones, but itā€™s not free. But I prefer Jeppesen plates enough to justify (if only to myself) the $10 a month (give or take, itā€™s actually priced in Euros). But they need to figure out a way for me to see them inside of VR STAT!! Iā€™ve tried a couple of duct tape and bailing wire methods of doing that, but though theyā€™ve come close, none have quite worked as they should to date.

Anyway, my rambling aside, the question (being repetitive) is can you tell just from the approach plate that a non-precision approach has GPS vertical guidance?

1 Like