Poll Survey - DC-6 PMDG - Price Tag

Lol. I’m very familiar with them. The Sim world has changed with FS2020. We aren’t I. Kansas anymore… Its the most ambitious and advanced sim to date. It’s buggy as hell but it’s still leaps and bounds ahead of others. If PDMG wants to stay a little boutique publisher then good for them. With this new market they have the potential to make lots of money vs just cater to 3‰ of the flight Sim market. Will see.

1 Like

Eh. Ya know… a soul of a company might be very important. Not every business owner (I am speaking from personal example here) strives to have as many customers as possible. Some of us actually are proud that we don’t cater to the masses. I know it’s hard to understand for some. But sometimes drastically changing what you and your products stand for can have a detrimental effect.

4 Likes

I don’t see the DC-6 a high volume plane. It is a niche market with all of the detailed operations one would have to do just to get the props started.

Lol. PDMG is no Ferrari. A Ferrari is a functional piece of hand made art. We are talking about a add on for a flight sim. Their first release for this platform.

Oh and when PDMG becomes a status symbol like a Ferrari, then they can charge whatever they want and people will pay it.

1 Like

they are the ferrari of the flight sim world tho

3 Likes

This is from a post about the CRJ. Aerosoft gets it. I think PDMG will see the light.

2 Likes

Sadly, this is already happening with PMDG, tons of people will pay whatever the amount when it releases today. But like aerosoft, I think PMDG is a premium developer and they probably have the same mindset. I expect it to be around 60-70 especially for their first release and not a modern day aircraft. But the 737 will be another story…

edit: And I guarantee you that the price will be higher than the CRJ for one good reason, they cannot put themselves behing aerosoft with a lower price… You need to keep the notoriety on every aspects and that includes the price. It gives people the impression that their products are better, and they probably are too.

1 Like

If I look at their prices for P3D (PD3?.. whatever) I can’t remember paying that much. I think their FSX airplanes (the same type) were cheaper. So that seems to indicate (quite logically) they base price partly on volume.

The pickle they might be in is that it’s hard for them to predict volume on this new platform.

1 Like

Even if they don’t change the price they will have much more volume in MSFS.

Karl

1 Like

I would expect so too… in which case it might be cheaper than 70. But if they’re unsure or don’t want to gamble, it might be higher.

In the meantime it’s still not released… I wish they did, so we can put this issue to rest :slight_smile:

Honestly, if they gave it away for free, I still wouldn’t take it. Zero interest. None at all.

In the end it’s all about strategic positioning. Porters concept of Cost Leadership and Quality Leadership might be old, but it’s still remains valid. Of course software is always a special product and it’s not possible to directly compare it with physical products. However the main idea stays the same.
Each company should find its individual market position which fits best. When Robert found PMDG, he took the decision to produce high quality planes. The whole company and all employees are working hard to follow this strategy. So somehow I can understand that they want to be seen as premium developer and that’s normally depicting in higher price.

2 Likes

Are you trying reverse psychology on PMDG?

I hope it works… :wink:

Well, with „a very fair price tag“ i meant something from 60-69$.
And, i feel very sorry that you have to buy from the Marketplace.
The encrypted files, especially the airport .bgl files will lead to problems when using certain 3rd party software.

1 Like

I do like the fact they made it a very short introduction. Not these hundreds of privileged ‘influencers’ flying this thing for weeks, like they did with MSFS, never mentioning anything negative. Shows they have confidence enough the thing can sell itself… only a few days of that ■■■■ and then for sale.

1 Like

I really like that too. I am absolutely no big fan of creating hype before the release. The way Aerosoft released their CRJ was super annoying and I am glad that PMDG is not doing that.

4 Likes

Not in the slightest. I am considering the 777 when it’s available but, at the prices they have, I’m definitely out for all of the rest of their stuff.

1 Like

No thanks to the DC6. I’m hanging out for the PMDG 737, 747, 777.

Agreed 100%. Hype has a negatively proportional impact on me.

1 Like

You really should get their 777 when they finally release it. Seriously. Don’t just consider it… get it. In FSX it was great. I also had their 737, but I could never really get used to that one. Landing was more difficult with it somehow. I was hoping for the 777 too, over a DC-6, but well… I still can’t make up my mind about this one. Doing a test flight before deciding would be nice…