Poll Time: Please no more than 5 things you want the sim fixed this year in 2022. Just 5

1. ATC
  2. ATC
  3. ATC
  4. ATC
  5. ATC & Traffic

A lot of the ATC weirdness I tend to find is on how the World Map interprets the en-route starting point transition point for an arrival (a STAR). You can load up a route from simbrief and the map shows it correctly, but the way ATC understands it is different, and rarely right.

Example: If I want to go to KSAN via the LUCKI1 27 arrival, and I’m starting from KLAS to the North, then it’s going to come from something like LVELL. MSFS and the ATC always wants to pick a default transition (in this case entry point HOGGZ, way over to the East). ATC then essentially wants you to go to the start en-route transition it thinks is right, and it’s pretty rare that this single one is going to line up with what you are doing. To get there it wants you to climb to the first restriction it finds, so it makes no sense for where you really are.

The TL;DR is that when you get a lot of ‘Climb to FL240’ and you’re 60 miles out and should be descending, then it’s because of this. Until ATC understands SID/STAR entry and exit transition points better then we’re not getting decent instructions.

For VFR and visual, just ATC vectoring would also be a huge add, so hopefully that is easier and comes first (FSX did it after-all).

1 Like