Poll Time: Please no more than 5 things you want the sim fixed this year in 2022. Just 5

1, No white dot ever. If I want to see a cursor I’ll go into cursor mode.
2, GA and helicopter traffic, lots of busy little small fields and airports. All the small fields in the sim are dead. It’s lonely under 5000AGL. Doesn’t need to be live at all - just get some Cessnas in the air.
3, More customisation of traffic/multiplayer banners - distance range, size, etc. Let these be toggled with a button.
4, AI traffic roll-out/taxi fix so they get off the runways and stop all the go-arounds.
5, Fix the broken ground steering on the Diamond DA40.

This list will be about game breaking bugs right down to quality of life improvements.

1:
Top of the list, these random CTDs that many people are experiencing. Yes I know they are extremely difficult to pinpoint, but Asobo keep saying that they have addressed numerous CTDs, yet myself, and many others aren’t seeing any improvement. The most puzzling aspect is that they usually happen when the sim is running smoothly, so the CTD will happen completely out of the blue. And if they are still too difficult to pinpoint, at least give us a visible crash report, so we will at least have some clue as to what is causing it. The Windows event view doesn’t tell us much, and you’d need a bachelor’s degree in programming to be able to figure it out.

2: Disappearing people in multiplayer. We’re coming up to the 2 year anniversary now, and this issue still hasn’t been fixed. The sim is being marketed as multiplayer friendly. But the simple fact is that multiplayer is completely broken. It makes large group flying with our favourite streamers quite a chore, and it makes formation flying even with just a few friends pretty much impossible. It happens without warning too. Maybe there is a certain criteria which needs to be met in order for us to see a certain person? If so I’d love to know what it is. I know just before Christmas there was a server update announced, which claimed to have fixed the issue. It massively improved the situation, but it didn’t fix it. There seems to be 2 variations of this issue. The first being where people just randomly disappear, and the second being where 28 out of 30 people disappear, and the two that are left can only see each other, almost like we’re on the different server. The latter is far less common thankfully.

3:
This is more a quality of life one, but we need to be able bind keys to stuff like toggling nameplates and toggling the external HUD. While on the subject of nameplates, please allow us some customisation options. The default nameplates are hugely intrusive. Yes, there are mods to take care of this, but most UI mods tend to cause incompatibilities with other add ons, so it’s really just a workaround. Also, get rid of that annoying handlebar on the top menu. We don’t need it. We all know where the menu is. It can really ruin a nice screenshot. Again, I know there is a mod to get rid of it, but it’s the same story, it’s a UI mod and it causes conflicts with other mods

4:
We need options to customise buttons and switches on our external peripherals, such as Logitech panels and Honeycomb Bravo switches. These peripherals work well with the default aircraft as one would expect, but when trying to use them with 3rd party aircraft, they can yield some very unexpected results. For example, lowering the landing gear lever on the Logitech switch panel while flying the Fenix A320 kills all electrical power. Not a situation one wants to be on final. Controlling the autopilot on the Just Flight Piper aircraft is laborious at best, and ■■■■ near impossible at worst. And that’s only a couple of small examples. If we could customise these switches within the sim we could fix these issues.

5:
I’m not really sure what causes this, as it seems to only happen on some flights, and usually if I’m in a group doing the same flight, other people will report the same issue. And it’s the issue where nav mode just refuses to work. Other times it will “work” but it won’t be on the line. I mean this one is low priority for me compared with the others, but it is one of those infuriating bugs that needs to be addressed properly.

There are plenty of other things that need to be fixed, but I don’t consider any of them to be “game breaking”. When I look at the bug fix snapshot, it worries me to see that most of what’s at the top of the list isn’t actually all that critical to me.

1 Like

You get extra credit for “melt-y”.

Quick look at most frequent:

1. ATC. When you consider how important it is to the flow of the game, this is my #1. Not just lingo, but Azure interruptions, and nagging to go to an impossible altitude create stress. (I’m supposed to be having fun, right?)
  2. Nav systems came up often, and is my #2. As with ATC, Nav systems that make wrong turns, calculate ILS from a location you are not occupying at the moment, ruins an otherwise enjoyable piloting experience.

Those are my two… though this was an excellent thread. Most every observation others have made I am in agreement with. I say Asobo and MS need to read this thread before going to bed, so they know what to work on tomorrow.

This one is fixed in SU10 I believe. Just a small quality of life enhancement but much appreciated.

I’m with you all the way on the CTD. Progress there has been very poor and having the game crash randomly has to be the #1 game breaking problem.

1 Like
  1. Fix the VFR map / ATC window reload-on-open bug. The VFR map is now so anoying to use, it’s basically useless.
  2. Fix all the bugs / QOL issues with the world map. So many annoyances before every flight! (ETA not shown, annoying reset of plane fliters, airport names get “lost”, left-click sometimes bugged, …)
  3. Fix startup time: load Community folder scenery addons on the fly (pun intended?) rather than at sim start.
  4. Fix menu performance: Reduce idle menu CPU / GPU load from “full CPU / GPU load” to near-zero. Do they run the full 3D sim for that blurry hangar background? Make it a static image and let’s safe some energy!
  5. Make it possible to hide every kind of structure (e.g. wind turbines, landmark models) through the SDK. By itself, this will fix nothing, but it will allow users to implement some World fixes themselves.

Of course, my number one wish would be to allow users to post-pone / rollback updates, but sadly they’re never going to make this happen, so I won’t even put it on this list.

1 and partly 2 have been broken by previous updates. 3 and 4 are essential performance optimizations which should have been there from the very start. We’re two years in now, please make this better.

One detail is feeling so off when flying airliners.

It´s the speed how turbines spool up when starting an engine, and the speed how fast an engine is spooling up from idle to max.

I cannot launch the Flight Simulator right now and use my stopwatch app because XBox Game service / Game Pass will never again be functional on this PC and I have not bought my favorite Flight Sim on Steam yet.
But handling the CFM56 turbines on the Zibo737 feel so incredible realistic because they really take their time to start. That huge fan in the engine inlet really takes it´s time and almost needs half a minute or so spinning with 21% N1 after a cold start.
Not “wosh” and three inlet fan full turns later the blades are getting blurred with N1 stable. :wink:

The start of the left engine begins at 1:26 and ends and it is making the idle sound at 2:42.

And it takes several seconds from idle to full thrust.

Go around command 1:24, full turbines thrust at 1:27

1:10 from 50% forward to full thrust, 1:15 full thrust:

The CFM56 in the 737 from idle to full thrust, beginning to set full thrust at 1:26, the engines need till 1:33 to achieve full thrust which is the typical 7-9 seconds the CFM56 takes to fully spool up (it takes in fact longer, 1:37 until N1 is maxed out but I have not counted crawling up the last 2% or so.)

So please to give flying airliners the extra-oomph of realism and the feeling of controlling an extremely large oversized and slightly slugghish machine - please add the realistic 7-9 seconds of turbine engine sluggishness and spool up time from idle to 100% N1, and 5 seconds spool up time from half power to full power :slight_smile:

And don´t forget that it takes almost a minute to start a turbine until N1 is stabilized.

Fixing the engine parameters to give these huge turbines the necessary amount of inertia and sluggish heavy weight that needs to be accelerated when spooling up, and make these oversized machines feel less like flooring almost instant-responding car engine RPM gauges when adding full thrust, would add so much immersion to flying airliners.

1 Like

We also have to remember that the MSFS is a GAME. Gamers may not want to wait 1 full minute until N1 is Stable. They want to get on with the game.

I think the game part is Reno air races.

1 Like

It should be very important for every study-level addon developers not taking in account what some “action gamers want” in a simulator that should simulate REAL aircraft costing 59 - 100€ per high quality DLC addon.
Because this audience would never buy one of their DLC airliners anyway.

(Yes I know I have the word “game” in my own name but this is because I am a decade long fan of great games like Witcher 3, Resident Evil and others, and I would personally NEVER support any dumbing down or simplifying any realism aspects of a flight simulator.)
Simulators should simulate to the utmost accuracy starting, flying and observing the functionality and safety of these complex flying machines. With perfect flight physics.
Waiting eight minutes for the heading align is nothing compared to wait a minute until the turbines are stabilized, isn´t it? ;D

But we all know there are people who love realism but are impatient and not always in the mood to program the FMC or wait until the turbines are stabilized.
These pilots being in a hurry to enjoy some nice view from above the clouds should have zero problems with too long and realistic turbine starting procedures because in all flights the turbines are already running anyway and the plane is ready-to-go.
And all realism hounds are starting cold and dark on the gate and spend 20 minutes on the MCDU and appreciate a realistic start-up procedure.
So the best of two worlds is available with one mouseclick in this fine sim, therefore there is no need to speed up the starting and stabilizing process :wink:

So I think most people want a better ATC, I would also love realistic start-up and gyro alignment times, the return of the icing effects, and a functional weather radar.

Actually, the MSFS was advertised as MSFS Game of the Year.
That was the designation about the time it was released. The Reno Air Races were not part of the game at that time. I suppose one might call it a Flight Simulation Game.

1: RE-WORK and FIX the TRAINING LESSONS to set up new users for success, NOT FAILURE! Make sure they actually work as intended. I’ve never seen such awful tutorials! If you can’t fix them GET RID OF THEM! They are THAT BAD! You should have brought in MACHADO from the start! OI!

2: FIX THE TRAINING LESSONS!

3: FIX THE TRAINING LESSONS!

4: FIX THE TRAINING LESSONS!

5: FIX THE TRAINING LESSONS!

2 Likes
  1. Fix remove objects from runways. IMAGE from Red Dog Alaska PADG.
  2. Change loading flight plan on the Gate, Tarmac, or Ramp.
  3. Fix Jetways not attached to terminals.
  4. Remove fictitions wayspoints from flight plans like DO, and DLAST.
  5. Remove the to many layers for Payware aircraft to put flight plans.
    EX:C:\Users\XXXX\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState\packages\pmdg-aircraft-737\work\Flightplans
  1. Controls. When mouse hovering over vfr map or other panels in bush flights I loose all control over the plane. Maybe there is a workaround to this issue?

2. crash physics? Landings in particular just feel odd I get away with murder and they just don´t feel right somehow.

3. career mode

Flight Simulation for home use has always been considered part of the gaming category.

Doesn’t much matter how much gameplay is involved (Landing Challenges for points…).

Back in the late 70’s and early 80’s, “Gaming” simply separated leisure and graphical software from the business related stuff. The communities overlap, the hardware overlaps… so, it’s just gaming. Sims just strive for a level of realism most games ignore, and often take winning entirely out of the equation.

Part of the confusion stems from the earliest sims not being very realistic at all… so classifying them as games was a simpler leap of logic to make at the time.

Funny, we don’t have this debate as often in car racing communities because the sims simulate the game of racing.

I agree, that is why I answered meh1951 with : Actually, the MSFS was advertised as MSFS Game of the Year. I suppose there may be many sim users that wish the MSFS was listed only as a Flight Simulator rather than as a Flight Simulartor Game.

There are plenty such users in these parts. :joy:

I’m always happy to call it a game. It feels more inclusive and inviting to casuals. We can’t all start out hard core simmers. It can take a few years of gaming in sim to self-teach enough of the flying fundamentals to really start doing everything by the book.

Another detail I found: These windfarms are truly disturbing the immersion.
No not because how they look like, the 3D model is awesome - but I doubt there are several dozen or hundreds of windmills crowded on the area of a football stadium :smiley: and I doubt that every small 5x10 kilometers island has at least 500 windmills placed on the area of a medium-sized farm.

The amount of windmills (or what are these things called, wind power pants?) and the space between them should be made realistic looking.

1- Better preformance for VR
2- Fix the washed out colours in VR
3- Fix stuters in general
4- Rework ATC its painful to listen too
5- Make the premium aircraft premium

ATC and working VNAV in the airliners.

1 Like