[Polls] World Update XI: Canada Discussion

Whether it was this Bing PG data or not in the video, I can’t say with certainty.

What I can say for sure though is that what was shown in the trailer was not what we received with the world udpate. Anyone can verify this for themselves. And I’m not the only one who noticed and brought this up. The immediate telltale sign is the decent rendition of the CN Tower and the lack of post-apocalyptic buildings in downtown Toronto that we got with the final build of the Canada update.

2 Likes

I’m not sure what you mean by this. The version of the CN Tower which was included with the World Update was shown exactly as-is in the trailer, although it appears in the background and isn’t the focal point of the clips. See these two screenshots of Toronto from the trailer (starting from around 1:03):

Thanks,
MSFS Team

2 Likes

Not the whole video… There’s a portion of it where it’s most definitely not the same PG data.

2 Likes

I only see the final version of the trailers, same as anyone else, so this is pure speculation and absolutely should not be taken as an authoritative statement, but it’s possible that the shot of Billy Bishop Airport with the CN Tower in the background was recorded when the new bespoke airport was complete but before the new Toronto photogrammetry and POIs were added, hence the discrepancy.

2 Likes

That’s certainly a possibility. At best we can only speculate the reason why. But there’s no doubt that the Canada Update PG data was not used in that segment. The segments you pointed out are however.

Literally, that screen shot from the trailer I posted looks more like the current live Bing data than either the stock PG or WU data for Toronto. The CN tower (specifically) and surrounding buildings actually look a lot closer to what’s currently the live Bing PG data in the screenshot I posted a few posts up.

EDIT: To be clear, the stock Toronto data has some weirdness to the CN tower. It looks ok, but looks very “PG” with some messed up vertices. We know what the WU version of the CN tower looks like. The tower in that screen shot is clearly neither of those.

4 Likes

. . . . while they were standing on line to apply for unemployment benefits?

That would totally depend on their explanation. lol

1 Like

I remember to have seen those “promo” videos of Canada’s World Update which when showing the Billy Bishop airport the CN tower wasn’t the mess that it currently is.
So, I’m guessing that the devs knew about the CN tower problem and when editing the promo world update video they simply took the Billy Bishop airport shots without Canada’s World Update installed (instead of fixing the CN tower).
If this was true than this is too bad to be true! :rage:

1 Like

Well I finally got the CN tower fixed…by installing CYTZ Billy Bishop airport that finally just became available on market place on Xbox by FSimstudios. It fixed a few other buildings but the rest of Toronto is still a melted mess.

3 Likes

Can I assume you’re on Xbox, since there’s another fix for the tower on Flightsim.to?

1 Like

That’s a safe assumption.

2 Likes

Checking back in to stir up troub… Er… Umm… I mean check on progress and rumors?

So very pleased Asobo has added improvements to Toronto and Vancouver to the official TO DO list!!! Thanks for listening and working to make those as good as Asobo can make them, as good as they deserve to be. But I do hope they don’t limit Canada WU fixes to just Toronto and Vancouver???

There really needs to be some automated tools for Bing/Asobo to find wildly unrealistic topology around rivers and such. The crazy errors in altitude should be findable without rocket since or tons of human searching. ANY terrain that’s pretty much VERTICAL needs some human eyes on it!!! TWO YEARS after the sim released!!! That’s basic sanity checking and it’s really annoying that stuff is still rampant all over the world AND is left in place a moment’s flight from bespoke hand made POIs in a WU coming out at this point.

I have to say I was a bit excited to see there is now the SamScene3D Vancouver City Times, but on inspection, it really depends on tastes and expectations whether it’s worth a buy? There’s some things that look really nice to have modeled, but the materials/texturing/color is very primitive in many places and just looks unnatural and too visually distinct from the photogrammetry and default ground textures. I can only say I really hope Asobo’s improvements to Vancouver make most of that obsolete. I appreciate the effort and having the option, and people should certainly have a look at it, some people may find what that adds to be worth the money. I do really appreciate the more detailed seaplane ports and that the corresponding seaplane port in Victoria (CYWH) was included. I want to buy this to support the developer and anyone making add ons to support Western Canada and seaplane ports in general, but I just can’t for the money given the visual quality of the materials/colors. Maybe that will get major improvements after Asobo improves Vancouver?? I hope so.

Wasn’t FSimudios or some other devs rumored to be considering a Vancouver City add on? I sure hope we do get a very nice, really detailed, top notch city add on for Vancouver, but I want one that adds accuracy and details to Vancouver AFTER Asobo does a much better job on it. I have to worry the currently available add on was just a rush to cash in on Asobo’s failure on Vancouver before they fix it? I hope I’m wrong and once the dust settles, we end up with a gorgeous default Vancouver from Asobo and one or more paid add ons that really look like they match and greatly enhance the default WU Canda scenery around Vancouver, fix glaring issues like bridges and port cranes Asobo may miss (But please don’t miss any major ones Asobo!!!).

I think both CYVR Vancouver Airport paid add ons have advantages, one is less expensive and a lot lighter for those who don’t want a big FPS/VRAM hit, but it’s still a very nice visual improvement over default airport. The other is much more detailed and has great perks like the seaplane ports at the airport and downtown, but it can hit FPS pretty hard on modest systems and it costs more (still pretty reasonable for an amazing airport!). Point being, perhaps the market can bear two Vancouver City add ons, and maybe each could offer advantages.

I just want Vancouver looking amazing for everyone and truly exceptional for those willing to spend a bit of extra cash on it! It is really just a world class gem to fly around! Vancouver deserves to be one of the best done cities in the sim!!! I’m still so disappointed in Vancouver right now, really a drag on my motivation to Sim these days. All that waiting for SU Canada and it just felt like gut punch instead of a long awaited prize. Finally got an amazing Beaver (Thanks Asobo/Milviz/Blackbird, it’s truly gorgeous!) and my most favorite place to fly seaplanes is such a mess!

I’ll leave Toronto issues to those who know that city/area better. But seems like it’s much the same story!

5 Likes

Toronto is a mess. What makes things more aggravating is that the Toronto City Airport by the CN Tower was part of the Premium Content since launch. So, Premium content, Canada update and the biggest city in the country looks like an atomic bomb went off with a melted skyline and CN Tower.

4 Likes

I didnt download WUXI until today. I figured this would be fixed by now.
Boy was I wrong.

2 Likes

The world update is for New Zealand, not Canada. We’re going to have to wait for ours. The UK World update is 2 years old, and they’re still waiting for their promised update of the post-apocalyptic London PG data that was rolled out with that one. Take that as you will.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see both London and Toronto updated in the future as a City Update. Those are potentially some of the “surprises” that are were talked about for this year.

4 Likes

New World Update released and still no fix for Canada’s Word Update! :rage:

4 Likes

When a new World Update comes out for a country they usually update past world updates as separate downloads in the marketplace.

1 Like

Are Islands a WU by themselves ?

There are approximate 900,000 islands globally.

1 Like

This is false, as Jorg has explained several times.

2 Likes

Arch
You are correct and I found a video about it . And yes MSFS will continue after ten years.
Now lets talk about some islands. :zipper_mouth_face:

2 Likes