[Polls] World Update XI: Canada Discussion

Yes. That is what I had expected with all the talk about the correction for Calgary being finished and other cities almost done. Just before WUXII release I reinstalled the CDN city photogrammetery in anticipation of the update becoming available as a content manager update. Guess I was too much of an optimist. No updates have appeared. Perhaps when the team got a look at things more closely they realized just how offensively bad the PG really was.

I just deleted the WUXI city PG again as I can’t stand running with the mess it makes. Hopefully there will be some form of announcement when, and if, the mess is actually fixed.

4 Likes

GIven everything that’s planned, I’d expect it’s at least a year before any fixes are implemented.

And, will essentially be never that everyone is satisified.

1 Like

Have to give the guys at FSimStudios a huge thanks. their CYTZ was approved for marketplace a while back which includes a BUNCH of extra buildings and although most of toronto looks apocalyptic still downtown looks a lot better now.

pretty easy to tell which buildings are included and which are still photogrametry lol.

closer look at how massive the difference is

and finally the airport itself

includes the concrete silos to the right (I never did figure out what they were for honestly)

Still, I wish I didn’t have to get anyones payware to fix the city. Fingers crossed Toronto and Vancouver don’t wind up like a London 2.0

2 Likes

I know its not the beta’s forum, but there was quite a large update for multiples World update in today’s patch, including Canada

Anybody tested Canada’s fixes?

1 Like

I got 8 updates to the various World Updates in content manager. Canada was not among them. Have not had time to check for the updates mentioned in the release notes.

1 Like

Would you want to wait until the whole world was “completed?” This is software - by definition it is almost NEVER completed. Hardware changes, software changes to take advantage of it. A decade ago there were no smart TVs, 4k sets were rare as all heck and really expensive. Now 65" 4k name brand smart tvs are going for under a grand “because they were released in 2021, and we have to make way for the 2023 stock”.

I mean, they could continue developing for lower resolutions and slower hardware, but even the Sony Playstation and XBox X support 4k. And many of us use 4k or more because the hardware supports it.

And in a decade when they have enough data at ground level (and beneath - think of tunnels) from smart cars and 6g connections, they’ll probably extend the flight sim into a sim that can also do drag racing along city streets, skateboarding and cycling, and walkabouts. I’m looking forward to it. It’s one way to keep the sim in production, and evolving, into the next decade and beyond.

1 Like

Today I got a very small (35kb) Canada update in the content manager. Curious what that might contain
:slight_smile:

3 Likes

Just fired MSFS but I didn’t get any update for World Update Canada or for any other World Update for that matter.

2 Likes

I haven’t seen any world updates for quite a while. The WUXI fixes for Calgary, Toronto, etc. that were indicated to be almost finished seem to have been absorbed into a general Radio Silence about progress. Is it possible that someone came to the conclusion that the release mess was part of a much bigger issue and are dealing with it from a wider perspective? Perhaps as part of the “fix photogrammetry and / or LOD” issue that the latest feedback snapshot refers to as "Started (Bridges)* - Whatever that means.

Sadly, the marketplace indicated that most of the WU packages, including Canada, are “updated”. I haven’t seen anything in content manager.

It would be great for the sim if there is a wider ranging improvement that benefits everyone. Having some form of meaningful update or clarification on the issue would be very welcome.

1 Like

Yes, small update to the World Update 11 Canada… but it did not fix anything visible. Perhaps just in preparation for fixing the photogrammetry of WU11.

WU11 was September 2022… now 6 months ago.

2 Likes

I don’t see any improvement with the last update, Toronto and Vancouver are still messy

2 Likes

You won’t see anything after a local content manager update in such case as long as they did not change the photogrammetry server side.

The client side update affected only discovery flights, bushtrips and landing challenges. PG is always streamed from what I know.

2 Likes

There was a large Canada update today with SU12. I downloaded it, cleaned out my cache and re-started the sim. To my huge disappointment, Toronto has STILL not been fixed. The biggest POI in Canada, the CN Tower is still a melted mess along with all of the waterfront. Premium content, world update, patch and still not fixed. Unreal!

5 Likes

Yes, same. Activated my Canadian Cities Photogammetry which I’ve had off since the Canadian WU release, and quite disappointed to find the nuclear aftermath was identical to the initial release. Got a little scare after deleting the City Photogammetry once again and finding it did not improve the scenery. A sim restart sorted that out. It’s staying off until we get something even remotely resembling ‘normal’ city scenery in Canada.

3 Likes

If you look at the list of fixes in the release notes, there’s no indication of any of the major issues with the Canada update being fixed. They mostly fixed a lot of small things here and there. The major issues are all still alive and well.

3 Likes

WU Canada fixes are as follows:

Copied from the release notes.

• Fixed TIN buildings exclusion near Hatley Park National Historic Site.
  • Fixed blend of Samuel de Champlain Bridge surrounding terrain.
  • Fixed the double markers of the One on the World map.
  • Fixed Cars floating above Pierre-Laporte Bridge.
  • Fixed Cars flow over Jacques Cartier Bridge and Angus L. Macdonald Bridge.
  • Fixed big Nickel POI name.
  • Fixed the vegetation clipping through Burrard Street Bridge.
  • Fixed Z fighting on the Canadian Museum for Human Rights.
  • Fixed LOD popping of Cape Bonavista Lighthouse cliffs and Cape Spear Lighthouse National Historic cliffs.
  • Fixed the vegetation clipping into the zipline at the Cape Enrage Lighthouse.
  • Fixes Pierre-Laporte Bridge terrain alignment.
  • Fixed the vegetation clipping into the A. Murray MacKay Bridge and Thousand Islands Bridge.
  • Fixed Lions Gate Bridge alignment with tterrain and road.
  • Fixed terrain spikes going through Jacques Cartier Bridge.
  • Fixed Holes in terrain all around Citadel Hill (Fort George).
  • Fixed terrain LOD popping around Parliament of Canada.
  • Fixed terraforming at the Canadian Museum for Human Rights.
  • Fixed TIN data displays next to Fisgard Lighthouse.
  • Added missing building on the Canadian High Arctic Research Station.
  • Added missing building for the Cambridge Bay Radar Station.
  • Fixed collisions of Jacques Cartier Bridge, The Lions Gate Bridge and The Canadian Museum for Human Rights.

so a bit of love for Winnipeg, albeit a rather controversial building a lot of locals aren’t a fan of and no mention of Toronto or Vancouver. Don’t think I’ll be removing the Toronto or Vancouver City Times anytime soon.

4 Likes

They fixed vegetation clipping through a bridge but not the freaking CN Tower! The whole shoreline looks like a nuclear blast went off.

3 Likes

CN Tower fix here:

3 Likes

I have a 3rd party fix but I removed it for the supposed Canadian update.

1 Like

I’m waiting for the Eiffel Tower fix.  It would show King Kong swinging from the top, swatting at a swarm of bi-planes with Asobo livery!
:wink:

P.S.
This looks like an EXCELLENT fix.  I wonder if Asobo/MS are hiring? :wink:

1 Like