[Polls] World Update XI: Canada Discussion

This is simple UNBELIEVABLE!!! :rage: :rage: :rage:

Who the heck does these devs hire to fix the issues?? Only small stuff gets fixed. The huge and “in your face” issues/bugs never get fixed!

I’m just this close to uninstall this sim. It’s a petty that I can’t get a refund because this sim is actually WORSE now than when I bought it!!! And no, this is not an “overstatement”!

3 Likes

Have you looked at the change log fur SU12? It’s huge. WASM fox XBox is a big deal, if nothing else.

1 Like

I think he means that small things get priority over complete international airports and runways missing (for example Hong Kong). When they showed MSFS for the first time they showed how easy it is to fix these things but in some way they don’t address these issues.

Sometimes small things get picked up as low hanging fruit. They are often easier to fix than the larger things. But not always. We still have the SU5 introduced bug where holding the right mouse button to look around locks primary controls. I’d say that’s small, yet here we are.

Regarding Hong Kong, I’m not sure what that refers to exactly, but they did include a fair chunk of fixes for airports:

Airport

There are way more than that if you look though all the world updates they went back to fix things for.

What this smacks of to me, referring to the other post, is they didn’t fix my personal gripe i.e. the CN Tower, therefore they are somehow asleep on the job. Let’s ignore the fact that 21 or so other things did get fixed for the Canada update alone, that one didn’t so they’re terrible.

Sorry, they’ve lost me there.

If they want it so bad there is a CN Tower replacement on flightsim.to, for free. Get that, and enjoy what they did include in the hundreds of other fixes SU12 comes with.

1 Like

COMMON!! :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
Fixing the CN Tower and making it a POI is something that would take the devs how long implement/fix? Maybe a single day? Perhaps a little bit more (like two days or so)?

BTW, they released an update for World Update Canada and again the CN Tower wasn’t fixed! And this is what I’m complaining about - I’m complaining about the update for World Update Canada and not about SU12 as a whole!

Moreover this is the World Update XI: Canada Discussion thread so, I fail to see the point of bringing the “WASM for XBox” (whatever that is since I don’t use or have XBox) to this thread?

Finally, being a sucker for Asobo and/or Microsoft doesn’t help improving MSFS in any way. By the contrary…

1 Like

Nothing in your post mentioned “Canada”.

Feel free to uninstall this sim because a single building in Canada isn’t good enough.

Remember there is a freeware replacement for this. What would you rather do? Replace that building yourself, or uninstall the sim.

It’s possible there wasn’t an alternative hand built model to replace it with that MS/Asobo have/had access to. If you look on flightsim.to, you will see that the person who made it did this themselves in Blender, then uploaded it. 3.5 hours work for one building. And you’ll notice in the comments its never enough because many people jumped in to say “Do you plan on doing such, and such a building?” That’s what happens when you make stuff for free. It becomes an accepted norm.

So yes, it can be done. But perhaps MS/Asobo didn’t have access to anyone that had a model to hand.

Not a sucker, just appreciative of what we have, and not being ungrateful about what we don’t.

4 Likes

@RicHornet:

I agree that MSFS has a long way to go.

However:

1. Have you played FSX or FS2004 (Century of Flight) recently?

2. Have you tried XP-11?

3. FlightGear is absolutely free, as in “without cost”

Try one of these, then come back to MSFS and see what they’ve accomplished.  Then, if you can do better, show us what you can do instead of complaining about what hasn’t been done.

As I see it, the glass is either half empty or half full.  If the glass is half empty for you, than - by all means - get a refund, uninstall it, and move on to a happier place in your life.

Life is too short to get all wound up over things like this.

In the meantime, I am sure that there are clever people who will step up to the plate and work on fixing things up instead of complaining endlessly about it, and I am willing to wait while people who are smarter than me do things to help.

7 Likes

I can’t wait for Asobo to get that scenery gateway online. Developers will be able to leverage this to deliver updated content to end users quicker than waiting for 1st parties to update content. I wouldn’t suggest replace, but certainly supplement.

There will no doubt be legal aspects to this, probably along the lines of anything submitted to that gateway gives MS/Asobo rights to utilise as they see fit, as in distribute to a global user base.

1 Like

Well maybe his age is 18 so plenty of time :wink:

1 Like

I have said things similar to this in other threads.

I really don’t think it’s possible for MS/Asobo/Blackshark to do EVERYTHING.

Think of it this way:  Even with a virtually bottomless budget, NASA itself has had some impressive screw-ups over the years - and I can absolutely guarantee you that MSFS doesn’t have anything like NASA’s budget.

I would love to see some way for those of us who are more clever than I am to be able to contribute toward making things better for all of us.

If MS & Co. concentrated on a reasonably stable platform and allowed 3rd parties to fill in the details, I think that would be a win-win for all of us.

1 Like

It’s how X-Plane has has so many accurate airports world wide. The community was involved.

https://gateway.x-plane.com/

It’s a fair bet to claim that of those 37,000+ airports, there won’t be many where a taxi way marker is incorrect. We cannot make that same claim, not even close, but with time, perhaps.

2 Likes

@Jimrh1993

I’m not saying that FSX, F2004, XP11 or FlightGear are better. And this wasn’t what I meant. What I meant was that there’s been a trend with MSFS which is to break what previously worked well and so older versions of MSFS actually worked and looked better (on my end) than the most recent versions. But now that you mention, at least this didn’t happen with FSX or FS2004 before it.
Don’t know about XP11 or FlightGear. Never played them.
Anyway, just because MSFS is probably the best of its genre, this is not a reason to accept that MSFS devs constantly break things that used to work well. Actually and mostly for similar reasons, I stopped playing DCS.

And it’s not only the “broken” CN Tower which again is unforgivable giving that again is Canada’s most recognizable landmark BY FAR (sorry to all other Canadians from outside GTA) and was “broken” due to a WORLD UPDATE CANADA which was supposed to improve Canada (and again not breaking it!!). Like I previously said either in this thread or in another one of this forum, having the CN like it currently is would be the same as having for example a melted Eiffel Tower or a melted Empire State Building. If this happened would you be so forgiving??

Another example was the player/pilot speech on the A310 which becomes mute after the player speaks the first word (to Ground, ATC, whatever…) which was a bug introduced back in last December.
After several updates it seems that now with SU12 this issue appears to be solved (4 months after the bug appeared) but I’m not sure as I didn’t have the time (and neither the will) to test it yet.
And I could go on with other examples…

Regarding refund, no I don’t think that I can’t ask for a refund since I bought this sim back in 2020, just a few months after the sim came up. As such, I don’t think I’m eligible for a refund.

Regarding what others have said about “fixing” the CN Tower using 3rd party addons, yes I know this and yes, I did this. In my case, I use “Toronto and Greater Toronto Area by Roman Design” which is great and free. But this doesn’t mean that the CN Tower mustn’t be fixed ASAP thru an update for World Update Canada (instead of fixing what is mostly not noticeable bugs/issues).

1 Like

Exactly my point.

It’s also why I have been such a long-time advocate for active community involvement.

Instead of complaining about what’s not available or working, let’s get together and make it happen!

2 Likes

No, I’m not 18 but and for what’s worth, I wouldn’t mind being 18! :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

Did you see my comment about the King Kong update to the Eiffel Tower?

I want to see bi-planes with Asobo livery with the gorilla waving a Canadian flag. :wink:

1 Like

I would steer clear of RomanDesign’s Toronto. He utilizes google data/models, quotes google’s rules on “fair use” of their data stating no monetary gain can be had (and flightsim.to’s rules state the same), yet has a link to donation sights and has taken money from sponsors on that scenery package. Yes, I know this from first hand experience, it takes work to convert those google models and clean them up for use in the sim, but he’s still using other’s work/data and gaining monetarily for it. Shady.

2 Likes

So, you’re saying that he takes donations. What’s wrong with that?? You don’t think that his work is worth donating money? Ok, so don’t donate! Really, what’s the deal??
And you’re saying that he takes money from sponsors. What’s wrong with that?? No-one is forced to be a sponsor, or is it?

And what’s wrong with using Google data/models specially for a free mod? Google data/models are vastly superior to Bing ones.
I wish MSFS used Google data/models instead of the vastly inferior Bing. For instance and just as a tiny example, my old home in Toronto is fully modeled in 3D in Google but not in Bing. But for very well known reasons we know this will never happen.

Getting back to RomanDesign’s Toronto, it helps (me, at least) A LOT in mitigating the “Apocalyptic Toronto scenario” which World Update Canada made Toronto look like, including of course the CN Tower (which with RomanDesign’s Toronto looks great and it’s even illuminated at night!). And I didn’t have to pay a single dime for this (which fixes things that Asobo/MS shouldn’t have broken!). So I simply don’t get the self-righteousness here.

Actually, one of the reasons why I use RomanDesign’s Toronto since it came out was precisely because of the CN Tower which even pre-World Update Canada didn’t look good (for instance the top spike/cone seems misaligned which look bad specially at a distance and the tower isn’t illuminated at night) but then World Update Canada made it even and much worse!

Resuming, the guy shares his work for free and people complain! And people complain that some willingly give money to the guy! :roll_eyes:
Really, no wonder why the world is a messy place nowadays…

3 Likes

Totally agree with you !!!
People complain a lot (I include myself too)
Without really knowing how things are outside here.
No simulator has risked doing what MSFS 2020 has been capable of doing (as you say, there is still a long way to go)
But why haven’t other Simulators (or Games as they also call MSFS 2020) risked doing what they have done with MSFS 2020…?
The cheap excuse is… not me, I’m focused on…
(One thing…?)
MSFS 2020 focuses on a thousand things (Forgive me anyway I fall short)
This Simulator has not been made in a garage 4 friends.
This Simulator has a development behind it that is impressive, I can’t even imagine it and for me today it has been perfect for a long time.
So if something goes wrong, don’t worry, they’ll fix it as soon as possible.
(That is, I advise you not to install things to be installed, make sure first if it is compatible, it is not worth putting everything we see on the internet since it can break our MSFS 2020 and then we will come running here to complain and fill the forum)

2 Likes

OK Folks, this discussion is about WUXI Canada, not a discussion about a particular developer.
You may talk about the product in its relation to WUXI, but not about an individual.
Discussions about an individual are not permitted in these forums.
Lets keep this on topic.

3 Likes

I have to say RicH, I have been following your threads and agree with you wholeheartedly. I, too, was disappointed after installing SU12 and seeing that the CN Tower STILL wasn’t fixed. Yes … there are free fix options available at flightsim.to but THAT’S NOT THE POINT! Asobo/Micorsoft failure to fix it YET AGAIN is another slap in the face to Canadians!

2 Likes