Polygons on the edge of vision visibly unloading and loading - flickering in VR

My original topic about it was closed due to inactivity. So I open this one up again.
I had contact to the support. They stated that in the SU5 would include an option called “out of view data” Was anybody able to find it and fix the issue yet? I cant seem to find it.

Here is what they answered.
“This is due to changes made in SU5 to add performance. We have received feedback on this and will add an option in the coming update which will allow you to store “out of view” data depending on your preference.”

I texted the support again, but this time they did not respond. This is how it looks like in VR:

What the hell? I’ve never seen the cockpit instruments drop out like that. This doesn’t just look like the scenery culling issue introduced in SU5. This looks like something else.

Did you send Zendesk the video?.

It probably isn’t related to your graphics issue, but the slider was introduced with WU6. I’m at work right now, but look in the graphics menu for a slider with the word “precache” in its name. If this is totally wrong, I’m sure somebody else will soon step in. :sunglasses:

Thanks, I tested what the slider “precache” does, but it does not help in that issue.

Here is what Zendesk answered quite some time ago:
“This is due to changes made in SU5 to add performance. We have received feedback on this and will add an option in the coming update which will allow you to store “out of view” data depending on your preference.”

So I am looking for a slider called " out of view".

The issue is known and happens if someone uses wide FOV VR headsets like me with the Pimax. MSFS just does not render those polygons because it assumes they are not being seen.

So I guess the slider is not implemented (yet)

1 Like

Your guess is as good as mine, but to me it does sound like the “precache” slider is what the service worker was referring to. It controls how much of the currently out-of-view content to generate so that it’s ready for when your turn your head to look at it.

Why they brought it up in relation to your graphics anomaly I have no idea.

Precache has nothing to do with this issue you’re experiencing. Support probably did a look up on their knowledge base and 2+2=5.

The challenge you face is that this doesn’t seem to be a common issue (that I’ve seen or heard) and thus support will struggle to handle or acknowledge it.

But looks specific to wide fov like you say. Do all pimax users experience this or is there a setting for pinax that resolves it?

An older thread that was automatically closed was created by another Pimax user. So I guess its a common thing for Pimax users.
I tried different FOV settings and the effect is unchanged although you would expect it to be less visible with lower FOV settings.

A workaround is to activate parallel projections which costs around 30 % of performance which is not desireable for a hardware demanding sim ending up unplayable.

It affects all WideFOV HMDs that go beyond 115/120 degrees, Pimax, StarVR and XTAL.

The problem has already been recorded here, but nothing has been changed.
Support for Wide FOV VR headsets (removing Frustum Culling issue)- - Virtual Reality (VR) / VR Wishlist - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

Support for Wide FOV VR headsets (removing Frustum Culling issue) - Virtual Reality (VR) / Hardware & Performance - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

I’m already panicking about the day when my copilot no longer disappears like Houdini or instruments, buildings and trees stay in the places where they belong.

One solution, but with massive performance losses, is, as already mentioned, parallel projection.
Or sell your $ 9000 XTAL and use wmr diving goggles.

" it’s up to everyone else, but not us."

Well that just sucks… sorry to hear. Hope it gets recognition and gets sorted.

1 Like

Alright, well that means no fix (yet). The thing is you cant even fix it, by switching to a lower FOV in the Pimax Software. The amount of polygons popping stays the same.

1 Like

It was already in the top 10 on the VR to-do list.
But was moved back down.
There are probably more important things, like tapping with a stick.