Poor performance on the ground

The problem with performance is that there are many variables that can have impact. After many, many hours tweaking I was quite happy with performance. Dialed down lod a fair bit, upped graphics settings to find a good balance between a busy GPU while not being CPU bound.
Then I started having stuttering on the ground and while on final. Again a lot of tweaking but did not help.

When I needed to reinstall the sim I noticed that the download speed was really slow. After reading some other threads I noticed that my network settings had changed and managed to get speeds back up to normal. Since then I haven’t seen this poor behavior so must have been a download problem.

Well, as I wrote, reducing the LOD is not the root cause. The root cause is what you described. The LOD is like a bubble and when you’re on the ground it reaches the furthest horizontally, thus the game renders MUCH more buildings and terrain then when you’re higher in the air.

Fun Fact: If LOD 50 in the air is too low for you, on the ground it will be too much for you, simply because you cannot see all those buildings.

So if your LOD is 200 the “on the ground LOD” should be 20 or so. This may negatively effect a few areas where you can see 200 miles even when on the ground but I don’t think “being able to see or being not able so see” a small mountain in the far distance is really important.

Exactly. But luckily it isn’t tough. You only need to know how far you can see at what height and then you have a nice formula to dynamically adjust the LOD internally based on the user selected LOD value. And if then the user still struggles with poor fps near ground, then yes, he’s at fault for setting a too high LOD.

1 Like

I still not sure about what we discuss here. We know with which setting ( = LOD ) users can avoid stuttering at ground / generally. The topic ‘limited by one core / main thread’ is discussed so often in forum, that it becomes in meanwhile borring ( may you not know it, because you are not so long member of community ). There is a search in function in forum which you can use. So, just reduce the LOD so that is match with your CPU and thats for the moment. The topic is marked as feedback-logged, so developers get informed and I’am pretty sure that they allways work at optimizations.

1 Like

Oh so we are not allowed to have a discussion … in a forum? I am so sorry for not knowing this.

1 Like

Performance is definitely worse since SU 8, especially on the ground I’m starting to get really tired of this now.

1 Like

I not wrote that we not should discuss, I asked about what we discuss… ( what brings us further in the topic ).

We found already settings which works for users related to the topic:

• LOD : is confirmed by many users that it is currently THE helpful setting
  • airport ground density : well it is not a magic hidden secret that the amount of ground vehicles, ground personal,… is at cost of cpu and thus adjusting of this might help too
  • feedback-logged : the meaning New Tag System

Such things:

we not need to discuss, because the developers know what they have to do and what not.
We here can report issues ( which must not necessarly a bug ) and can try to find helpfull settings to avoid the issue, or in case it is a bug find workarounds. More we can not do, because we not know a single line from the source-code. Guesses about a magic root-cause which developers must fix, will help no users which are searching for a solution for now, or ?
A discussion is just more than a negatation of all the experience from former posts in this and other topics.

And yes, of course is these setting a user setting only. We all hope allways that developers find a way to optimize the engine. Code opimization is just an allways ongoing process.

3 Likes

This is a very nice video about the Xbox launch but gives some more insight about what’s multi-threaded, what’s single-threaded and how something is done.

Do the new Iberia photogrammetry cities drop the FPS/performance like the others?

If so, I would disable it for the moment, since I only fly on the USA.

1 Like

@TechyCentipede6 I will do some testing later and only enable it when flying in that area as usual if it does affect performance in the USA. I normally test all of them again when a new WU is released just in case maybe we get lucky and the issue gets resolved.

2 Likes

In my usual test, Iberia 3D photogrammetry cities by itself costs me 9 FPS on the ground at JFK. With all the other 3D photogrammetry cities installed it only adds 1 fps to the more than 26 fps loss that I get with the others.

I will keep them all uninstalled as usual and only install a specific one when I decide to fly there.

1 Like

Thanks for the test and info. Yeah, definitely will keep those unused PG cities disabled until Asobo fix it.

1 Like

I created a bug log. I wish they could interact with the topic. I was able to identify what could be causing the stutters.

Tks!

1 Like

And even more importantly: Does anybody know if the devs have recognized and confirmed this issue with WU photogrammetry cities?

1 Like

I very much agree with what you say.
It is quite likely that some sound issue is causing the stutter on takeoffs and landings from SU8 onwards.
I can’t upvote your post because I don’t have any votes available. I’ll do it as soon as I get them back.

1 Like

I guess you already know this. It is useful while another solution appears

I read about it. My opinion is that if I have to enter the simulator every time to execute a procedure like this, my patience will burst…lol… But it would be important for people to be able to interact with the post I created in Bug Report to give visibility to him before the development team.

Hugs

1 Like

They have never recognized this as a bug. And it has a cumulative effect (the more PG cities you have installed the worse it gets) Curiously, I have this issue flying in the US around photogrammetry cities as well. I uninstall them all unless I want to fly in them. But yesterday I installed the new Iberia update with the PG cities and was flying my group flight in northern India and didn’t notice a downgrade.

@f14billy Have we done any tests to see if having the PG WU cities installed affects flights OUTSIDE of the US?

Actually, yes they have.
Pasted further back in this thread.

I think I did but don’t remember since JFK was my go to for that. I would need to find a big handcrafted airport with a Photogrammetry City nearby. I’m thinking Heathrow would be a good candidate. I normally do a second test in London once all my settings are tweaked at JFK. I will try it later and see what happens. Ideally I would need similar airports in every WU location to test.

Even though it is annoying to have to play with which PG cities to have installed depending on the flight, I am still glad the workaround works, the performance is great in my system when doing it this way.

Well this was an interesting find… The 3D photogrammetry cities only affect the performance of airports in the USA. I tested airports in London, Japan, Spain, Germany, Japan and Australia and no apparent performance issues.