Poor performance on the ground

reinstall windows, for this sim? sounds excessive. I have big stutters more on the ground at airports since this update, and some smaller ones in the air. It’s like they forgot to fix the panning problem we used to have a few updates back. I feel this might be totally on their end. It’s like there’s some kind of resource eating program running in the background from this program that should not be running.
I even get it on menus. It lags and isn’t always responsive to button pushes. So it’s not totally performance, but something else running that should not be. That’s just the way I feel. I feel it’s an issue that needs resolved with something executing that should not be, and it repeatedly does so.

I’m stilling having issues with bad performance. What helped me out at 4K resolution was increasing the render scale to 110 or more. It tools my gpu usage from around 50% to 80%. A little improvement but still a few stutters. Also I removed ground traffic density to 0 and it help. I use AIG so the live traffic is awesome.

Specs: 4K tv
I9-10900K, RTX 3080 TI, 32gb Ram 3600mhz, windows 11 on SSD. Latest Nvidia driver.

I have a high end PC. My CPU is an intel I9.900.
I think I got the stuttering under control now.

1 Like

What did you change?

Good to hear. That raises the point that if you use cpu intensive mods then really last thing you want to reduce is gpu settings (except LOD).

For you, yes, because you do not have the problem that this thread is about, the problem discussed here arose with WU5 and has nothing to do with SU7.

I’ve had this problem for several months now, as many others have. On takeoff FR drops to 1 or zero once I hit about 30 to 40 knots, and stutters very bad until I reach about 500 to 750 feet AGL. Same occurs on landing. I even note stuttering in the “pre-cinema” display zooming in to the airport/runway and then showing your airplane before you hit the “FLY” button. I have tried everything. I used to fly in VR (HP Reverb G2), but since this problem has occurred I am trying to fix it in 2D; if it doesn’t improve in 2D it sure won’t work well in VR. I’ve read about turning off Photogrammetry - interestingly when I checked that setting, it is “greyed out” and I can’t select it - can’t turn it off, or on… have no idea why… I Have lowered settings as low as they will go to no effect, have changed settings in MSFS, MS Mixed Reality (I know it is for VR but I’m trying everything), Steam, and Steam VR. Fellow simmer 1GeekTooMany in Discord/VRFS has been helping with the issue and on setting recommendations. He says the symptoms (which includes all I described, plus I get a weird “wobbling” of the scenery/terrain at altitude) also acts like the motion reprojection (I think that is what it is called) is on, but I checked and it is off. I am using the Steam version, PC, and my specs are: i-10850K @ 3.6GHz, 32GB RAM, RTX 3080. If anyone, anyone has the solution short of re-installing Windows please let us know! Thanks.

I just reduced the “ground level of detail” and that did the trick. Unfortunately, it seems many of us are willing to sacrifice performance for quality. Even though this sim looks a lot better than the others, we still have to tweak the settings even though, like in my case, default settings shows as ultra, which doesn’t work even on a high end pc, that is of course, unless you just want to fly in the open country and small airfields and nothing else. I want to be able to fly any aircraft anywhere and to any major airport without worrying about performance so much. I found out that with just some settings on ultra, and the others on high, at least for now, I can get the enjoyment I’m looking for.

1 Like

You seem to have the same problem that the thread is about, the only thing that helps is to turn off Photogrammetry or reinstall Windows from scratch, that Photogrammetry is greyed out seems that you are not connected to Asobo servers, are you sure you have checked online services in the settings?

Have you try this suggestions? Best Graphics Settings Guide - Flight Simulator Blog

1 Like

For me this issue is related to photogrammery.

KSAN, located next ot photogrammery city - on ground with photogrammery i have 12-19 FPS. without i have 37-38 FPS (1/2 vsync, so it is max).
LROP, no photogrammery near - i get with and without photogrammery 37-38 FPS

intel 6700 cpu
1070 gpu
16 gb ram

1 Like

Gonna tear my hair out. Its the same for me. It’s never been like this before SU7.

Even in a super low resource plane like a basic 172. Any airport near photogrammetry (KSAN, KPHX, CYTZ, KMIA) Im around 22-28 fps with photogrammetry with very low gpu usage and spiked mainthread. Turn off photogrammetry and I’m up near 60fps immediately. I have fast internet…restarted modem…Should I reinstall the game?

amd 5900x
3080ti
32gb ram

1 Like

YES. Something happened since SU7 to the terrain LOD slider. It is not optimized like it was when they first introduced it last update. If set at LOD 200, like thte original highest setting, sim is pretty smooth. Still not quite right, but much better than LOD 400. Before SU7, I could set the LOD to 400 and it ran ok. So it’s on their end.

2 Likes

I will just turn off photogrammery

Hi Guys,
I have also been struggling with performance since the last update.
I have turned off photogrammetry and the problems are now gone.

2 Likes

Anyone wondering. I did a clean install of windows 11 today. The issues I’m having with my gpu utilization is still there. Only fix that help was increasing the render scale to 110. Now it’s decent but still issues.

1 Like

I have low performance on the ground, especially after a flight. Weird thing is, i had about 30 fps, and when i focused (with mouse click) on my other monitor (With youtube running) i got 20 fps, and when i clicked back on MSFS i got 45 fps until i looked around again in the cockpit. Seems there is a problem with VRAM usage/management.

It seems logical to me that when i select the second screen the GPU will prioritize what’s happening on the second screen, but the strange thing is the performance going up when i go back to MSFS compared to before the switch to the second monitor.

I have 8GB VRAM by the way and i’m running hIgh settings, so that should be enough.

You are having a similar issue to us here. Strange that photogrammetry is greyed out. Make sure you have enabled online functionality and bing data ( they are all on the same screen in the options).

Do you have also stuttering and low fps in areas without any photogrammetry?

I have fixed my problem. Photogrammetry was definitely the issue, but it is only a problem because of my very low internet speed (6 Mbps). So the slow internet was the root cause as I’ll explain later. With photogrammetry on it will try to download a lot of terrain data, and my slow internet causes it to stutter very badly - like unflyable on takeoff and low to the ground. I had Bing data turned off (unknowingly), and once I turned it on Photogrammetry was no longer greyed out, and I then turned PhotoG off. I know it seems odd that I would have the problem with it greyed out, but I did. Once I turned off Photogrammetry, I started with very low settings across the board and slowly started upping the settings. At about mid level settings I turned Photogrammetry back on, and I got a message saying my internet speed was too slow to download so much data. So I turned it back off. I am now at Ultra settings almost across the board, and terrain level of detail is at 160 and object level of detail is at 90. Everything is very smooth and graphics are very good. And this is in VR using an HP Reverb G2! 2D and I could probably up terrain and object level of detail more (I am going to up object level of detail some more). I hope this helps others. Oh yeah, there is only one high speed internet solution coming to my area soon, so I’ll be dropping Elon a note saying sign me up for his Starlink. ; )

1 Like