Poor performance on the ground

Very true! I have just removed PG and reinstalled without GOTY Cities to start as a test.

When I check task manager I have loads of tasks running aswell but I don’t know which ones I can exit

ähmm… just stop applications you not need. It should not necessary to “kill” tasks with help of taskmanger. Also we have a multi-core cpu and the problem we currently often have is mainly that a single thread must manage lots of work. If your CPU is in 100% you can think about to check more detailed whether some applications limits the performance. You can of course sort the applications in task-manager by “cpu load” to check whether some app is running in parallel with a high load.
But I still wonder a bit about the timing-factor… these often points to memory related issues.

1 Like

Anything listed in task manager/ startup can be disabled … simply put, if they were critical you wouldn’t have the choice.

1 Like

Yeah I read something about memory leaks but not sure about that.

Secondly, I have fast Internet and my buildings look all melted which doesn’t warrant my low FPS.

The issue is the same PG 3D cities bug many of us have. It was confirmed in testing. Such a weird bug. Now we are trying to get the PG to look better.

are you on the beta? if so you need to apply the sound workaround fix.

No not on BETA. I’ve had this for awhile.

you need to specify where, londodn yes is melted for many users.
but elsewhere certainly not, in australia all looks very nice, same in italy e.o.
some pg cities seem to have bad data.

True. London has a lot of data to download and it takes a few passes for the buildings to start rendering better.

Per a discussion with @f14billy on an Xbox-related thread, where I stated I’d removed all WUs minus USA and had turned off the Rolling Cache to cure heavy FPS loss in highly populated areas (Los Angeles & Inland Empire area), I’d agreed to reinstall the WUs and confirm if their presence had had any bearing on the FPS issues.

I have done that this AM and I see no difference with them installed. Therefore, I have to conclude the FPS issues I experienced on a Series X were solely due to the Rolling Cache.

1 Like

I was suffering from poor performance, with a heavy cpu load, and stutters. Seeing the value in another thread, make a ramdrive and put a 16GB rolling cache on it. This very much helped to smooth things out some, but didn’t relieve the heavier cpu load. With some advice @f14billy , I removed all photogrammetry cities from MS/Asobo, restarted the sim, and loaded up CYTZ Billy Bishop as I already had a reference from this location. Sure enough, it works. Smooth on the ground, and in flight. Almost half the cpu load lightened. From now on, like others have stated, I’ll just be loading in the cities in the area I plan to fly in.

1 Like

Thank you so much for your testing. This issue seems to be more widespread than I thought. Some people with great cpus and others with older cpus like me seem to be able to improve performance deleting the 3d photogrammetry cities from the world updates in the content manager.

1 Like

So, I reverted my Nvidia driver from the latest update and back to the one released in january. 511.23 - Release Date: Fri Jan 14, 2022.

All my stutters went away and the simulator is finally working normal on Ultra mode… :slight_smile:

1 Like

I might try this aswell!

I’ve read every post here, but I’m not sure if I saw this, specifically.

What is interesting is the USA and Nordics WUs do not have a “3D Photogrammetry Cities” file unlike all the other WUs & GOTY.

Therefore, it comes as no surprise why these two WUs don’t cause the FPS drop.

I just stumbled over this when I was deleting the photogrammetry cities on my PC after reinstalling all the WUs.

2 Likes

Wait what? So there is separate addons for cities and overall PG updates?

So for example we have UK PG and is there a UK PG Cities aswell?

No. One update made of many files (well, technically 7 updates).

Each of the WUs is a “package”. Inside each package are files. All the WUs except USA and Nordics have a file called “3D Photogrammetry Cities”. These files being installed is what causes the FPS drop, along with the “GOTY - 3D Photogrammetry Cities” file

The solution is to either uninstall the entire WU or just the files “3D Photogrammetry Cities” themselves.

One is more drastic than the other.

1 Like

But the question is why only some seems have this problem and not all, I myself have no problem with photogrammetry at all.

Well, yes. Like many aspects of this sim as outlined in a myriad of posts, there are some inconsistencies in performance across the board that are perplexing, to say the least.

Take the Xbox — a fixed piece of hardware running fixed versions of software — some have horrific stutters or constant CTDs, others have neither.

1 Like

I think most of these problems are related to network problems.