Poor Performance with RTX 3080 and 3900X CPU " Limited by MainThread"

You can test how much a performance boost DLSS would give you, lower your resolution in game (or resolution scale). That’s what DLSS does, lowers the render resolution then upscales the rendered image back to your target resolution. It works great on GPU bound games to not waste the GPU perf budget on pixel count.

While you will gain some FPS (mostly at 4k), you likely won’t get anywhere near what you were expecting. That’s because MSFS is CPU bound, not GPU bound.

2 Likes

Will check that out in war thunder, as that game does make use of DLSS 2.0, will let you know the difference in fps :+1:

Things like DLSS will only do something for people with a very fast CPU and an old GPU.

Virtually everyone is CPU limited.

What if you have a powerful CPU paired with an underpowered GPU? Does that include being CPU limited too? :eyes:

No, but that’s rare I think. People tend to upgrade the GPU only because they think that’s more important (which is true for most other games), and because a cpu upgrade is more expensive when they have to buy a new motherboard too. Then they find out their FPS didn’t improve at all.

10700K here and a 2060super and I am extremely GPU bound during flight its around 17% 100% GPU but overall the sim is very smooth.Only kept my GPU because of the shortages.Maybe when I get my hands on one of those shiny 30series it may change.

10700k at 5.1ghz 32mb of ram n EVGA 3080 n i am CPU limited

The CPU, memory, GPU, and monitor should be balanced as best as possible. The top end CPU/GPU combination is wasted using a 1080p 30hz monitor. A 4K monitor is wasted using a low end CPU/GPU combo. This is why Intel, AMD, NVIDIA, and monitor/mono/memory manufacturers have product lines from low end to top end. They are VERY aware that everyone cannot buy only top end gear.

Glad to hear, I have a similar rig, i9-10900K MSI Ventus RTX 3080 X3 OC and believe it or not 64GB GSKILL DDR$ 3600MHZ ram and Samsung SSD m.2 (970 EVO Plus 1TB) (the 980 that is now current is even faster)
But regardless… when i do set my settings to Ultra, and most part all is ok, i can accept the occasional 28 FPS … but the landing challenge in NYC I stutter all the way down to like 12 FPS - quite discouraging after spending darned near 7000$ just for a flight sim rig — I know Flight Sim is not on the list of supported games with Nvidias new resizeable bar thing , but i just did those upgrades now and will have a look if i notice ANYTHING at all in terms of improvement … I’ve been flight simming since their first version a long time ago, this is still pretty great if you have ultra settings and are getting over 30 FPS … life is good !

1 Like

Its so disappointing that the sim doesn’t run that smooth at complex areas like large airports.
I too have spend a lot of bucks building a pc that exceeds the ideal requirements and still the performance is not where I expected it to be.

5900X, 6800XT, 32GB G.Skill @3600.
Temperatures are stable 56-62C during flight.
Running the sim at 3840X1600 native resolution.
Graphics settings set to high end.

The performance is awesome while enjoying bushtrips. Steady 60fps.

But when I’m on the ground at a bigger airport like Nice in France in a Beechcraft Kingair, the performance drops with 20fps.
Approaching airports on short final isn’t that immersive anymore at that framerate when trees and buildings stutter by looking out your side window.

I really do hope that the team is able to improve the sim’s performance, especially at larger airports so that we all can enjoy approaching KLAS in a PMDG 737 with a butter smooth experience.

:crossed_fingers:t3:

3 Likes

I managed to improve up to 36FPS and average 28 or 30 for the JFK 747 landing activity - I’d be curious what others are getting and their system specs if anyone feels like chiming in …

It worked flawlessly before the release… from this point onwards it is becoming unusable update after update

1 Like

I have a similar config, Core i7 10700, 32GB RAM, RTX 3080 running at 4k (dual 4k monitors) running all Ultimate settings. Lately, I have been seeing RAM peek and Swap file increasing with lots of drive activity (Had HD set, switched to SSD to experiment).

It is so bad, frame rate drops low and the landing runway is chopped such that it breaks my landing gear. I tried to enable screen recording, but that crashed (first time ever. due to no RAM left).

Boston - Logan, night landing in TBM 930 was the worst, clocking in at 4 fps. So bad, another plane was landing passed me up and my plane did a flip, like getting hit with wake turbulence.

Twice in the past couple days, landing the Longitude. I had landed and was almost ready to turn off the runway when I saw a crack in the runway… and boom! crashed due to landing gear damage.

I am going to set my graphics to High-End so I am able to fly the sim. Will see if that helps.

Hey, i have an average good Performance
38-44fps at 1440p

BUT i get stutters while landing, it is so Frustrating… i Flyer over an hour from LOWW to LOWI everything is fine and i have always bad landings because i cant correct the plane while “flare” without stutters…

Any solutions?

My Specs:
I7-9700k
Rtx3070
32GB Ram

Hey Marcyvr,

I run almost the exact same build. only 32gb ram instead of 64.

I have optimized my settings using the digital foundry youtube movie. This greatly optimized my performance I must admit.
I do however agree its dissapointing that I can’t run the sim smooth on Ultra all the time.
These settings I have now I feel is the best of both worlds.

Flight Simulator 2020: The Best Settings For Next-Gen Visuals + Best Performance! - YouTube

I do have another question… Will switching off the AI traffic improve performance a lot ?

Cheers.

1 Like

This didn’t work for me though…

I have a i710700 32gb ram, rtx2070 8gb, ssd512, monitor 27" 144hz and i try everything…

I was having pretty big performance issues, and 2 things helped me.

1. Glass Cockpit Refresh Rate = low
  2. In Chase Camera settings, disabled the HUD

After making those two changes, my frames went way up and the game runs great for me with everything else in ultra.

Chase Camera HUD keeps running once you initialize it, even in when you’re back in the cockpit. This incurs 10+ FPS hit on my machine.

1 Like

I can’t find a “Chase Camera” HUD to disable.

Where is it?

Thanks

In Options → Camera Settings → Chase Camera Settings (section in Camera Settings, scroll down a bit) - it should be the first option. It’s what displays the altitude, speed, etc in third person mode and for me was costing a good deal of frames permanently for me once it was enabled the first time I went into third person. I fly mostly in the cockpit and use my instruments for determining those things, so disabling it actually made third person mode better for me.

Cheers

1 Like