Pop out windows causing CTD every time

I have tried in vain to open a pop out window of the Garmin 1000NXI and also the Garmin 3000 in fullscreen or windowed mode, using the right alt, left click method, PFD and MFD give same result, a black window opens for several seconds the sound stops and then the sim shuts down. I have tried it with two planes the Baron G58 and the TBM330.
I have a relatively new pc…
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core Processor 3.80 GHz
32 GB RAM
1TB SSD
NVIDEA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti
Windows 11
I searched but did not see a topic where this was happening, anyone have any ideas?

TIA

3 Likes

Are you trying to move the undocked window to another monitor? If so, is that monitor the same resolution as your sim’s monitor?

I have two identical monitors with all settings matching. So far I have tried to pop out to second monitor and the main one. I think I will see if there are any update drivers for my GPU and try that. Seems odd that I have found no one else with this issue, and the box is only a few months old.
I do have all sim settings on Ultra, the card seems to cope with that, but maybe reduce those settings and see. Sorry talking out aloud here.
Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Well I updated the drivers and reduced sim settings to medium, but it made no difference. Seems there’s some one’s or zero’s in there I need to squeeze the life out of :joy:

There’s no requirement for the monitors to be the same resolution, many of us who use Air Manager are moving the pop-outs to iPads, smaller touchscreens, etc… And this all works fine.

I was curious as to whether one might be running a magnification setting other than 100%. In my work in corporate IT, I know that there are some programs that refuse to work correctly on any monitor if only even one us running anything other than 100% in the Display Settings interface. Personally, I’m running two monitors as well, both at 1080 resolution. One happens to be my TUF Gaming FX505DT’s 15.6" display, and the other is an old 40" Samsung TV. Many people in my situation might opt for 125% magnification on the laptop to keep things more readable, but I opt for 100 on both.

Try a start of MSFS with no add ones meaning with an empty community folder. Clear the rolling cache before. Enter development Mode, reset all development options to default and go back to normal mode.

Yes I should try that, I had planned on next crash to try in safe mode which is more or less the same thing is it not? But I will try your suggestion, thanks for your reply.

I too have this issue, in Dx11 and also DX12. Did you ever fix it?

No, I gave up up, nothing I tried worked. Now trying to forget it’s even a thing.

Hmmm still a massive issue in the sim, I can’t even pop out the atc menu to another screen anymore. Instant CTD

1 Like

Pop out panels causing CTD for me in FBW A320nx. Both DX11 and DX12.

Same problem. Thought it was other add-ons like GSX but I’m pretty sure it’s the pop-out screens. Never happened until SU 10. Workaround is simply not to pop out screens but that’s lame…

So having given up on being able to pop out windows, I installed SkyElite MSFS software as an alternative. It’s by no means the same, but it manages most things just fine. Only my second night with it, but thought it worth posting for those with the same problem as me.
Below is a screen grab of my two monitors to give you folk the idea. you can try out a demo version though it’s quite limited.
Bottom right elevation profile is actually a part of littlenavmap underneath the other two.

My issue is when I close the popup windows, it cause CTD.

Never had any issues before.

Just started using twitch and noticed that fps dropped massively when windows were popped out and twitch studio was running, not streaming, but running… followed a guide on YouTube to keep fps decent and maintain good visuals. One of the options was setting to dx11, NOT dx12.

Now the whole sim crashes instantly when i start popout.

Switch back to dx12…

… working again.

So for anyone having total ctd the moment you pop out a window… try switching dx version

::EDIT::

just to note that, by “working again”, I mean that it’s not crashing anymore…still hasn’t fixed the very bad frame rate when windows are popped out AND twitch studio is running, so I basically am unable to stream flight sim at all.

I had this same CTD on pop-out issue. I was able locate the source of the issue. The problem wasn’t any add-ons to MSFS. It was the OSD application I was using to print system statistics on the screen, such as CPU and GPU temps. I use a combination of RivaTunerStatistics Server and HWInfo for this purpose. Once I excluded MSFS from RTSS, it was fine… no CTD. All that extra text on each pop-up didn’t look good anyway. I wish there was a way to have RTSS exclude OSD from the pop-ups while keeping it for the main display only, but I didn’t see a way of doing this.

4 Likes

Thank you! Yes I can confirm the same scenario, been making me crazy could not figure out which addon or config was causing this. I use a keyboard shortcut to turn on/off the RTSS display of my temps and fps. When off, all is well and I can pop out any screen without issues. When it’s activated, immediate CTD popping out any screen, even in the default Cessna. Did not use to do this before SU11 or SU10, anybody know of a work-around?

1 Like

I am also seeing the same behaviour using an overlay with MSI afterburner. Pop out windows cause a CTD when the overlay is active

1 Like

If you’re on D3D12, revert to D3D11. Worked for me.