Possible USB freeze up fix

Here is something that you all may want to try. For months when using FS2020 I would hear some USB device disconnecting (or several) and then the program would hang and sometimes it would spring back to life and sometimes not. This is mainly with AMD processors.

It seemed to be the worst with B550 chipsets but also occurred with the E570 variant as well. It got to the point where I have a new MB on order to see if that would rectify the situation. This am I was exploring a couple of sites discussing the USB situation and someone posted that the issue was the PCI-4 protocol was the culprit. On my Aorus motherboard I am able to configure all the pci-4 slots back to PCI-3. Gave it a shot and have not had a freeze up since. Still have occasion stutters but no USB issues at all. This could possibly help those with controller problems hooked up to USB ports.

Hope it helps.

I had this on my older Intel based board which was PCIe 3 only.

Switching off the usb energy saving mode does not help? I have a PCIe 4.0 board (GIGABYTE B550 Gaming X V2) and no problems with USB. I also had no USB problems before with my old board because of USB disconnect (GIGABYTE GA-H77-DS3H).

Have you already tried this? And then this?

Thanks for reaching out. I did try all your suggestions prior to your post and sad to say they did not work. Anytime I switch the to PCI-4 I get hangups and apparently I was not the only one. Since the switch no hangups. I ordered an ASUS Crosshair Hero and am tempted to try it to see what happens.

FWIW I ran bench marks with my 3080 card in the slot with both PCI-4 and then PCI-3. If there were a difference in frame rates I did not see it.

Then maybe you belong to the “small group” with this problem. If you already have a current BIOS, then you probably have no choice but to hope for a new BIOS and use PCIe 3.0 instead of 4.0 until then. I hope your MB manufacturer gets the problem fixed with a BIOS update.

@DaringMean88327 I just remembered that on my first day with my GIGABYTE B550 Gaming X V2 I had the problem that the mouse (Logitech G305 wireless) regularly hung up for a second. The mouse was connected to a USB hub along with the keyboard and a printer. I then plugged everything directly into the USB ports of the mainboard. From then on, the problem was eliminated. Maybe the boards can’t meet the power requirements of USB when PCIe 4.0 is enabled and a USB hub is connected.

AMD said it will contact various people on Reddit who are experiencing the phenomenon in the coming days. By sharing the hardware configuration, certain log files, other system information and a reproduction of the error, the error should be narrowed down.

As a workaround, it seems to work to connect the devices directly to the USB ports of the Ryzen CPU instead of using the sockets provided by the B550 chip.

Thanks again for the reach out. I replaced the motherboard with an Asus E570 . So far it has been flawless. Still stutters but no total freezes.