Power supply (PSU) fans spinning maximum speed

Over the weekend I built a new PC and installed MSFS fresh.
I also installed afterburner to monitor temps during a flight around EHLE in the 152.
Windows energy scheme maximum performance. MSFS priority set to high.

• CPU 67, GPU 61

but…
The fan of my PSU (Sharkoon Silent Storm Zero 850W) spins on max speed all the time.
In the menu it is silent. MSFS Power save mode is on.
As soon as I open the world map or a flight, it´s like an airplane starting up.
Also when I press alt~tab from the menu the fans spin up to max.
Also when I purchase something from the marketplace (when you need to type pin code) the same happens.
Does someone have an idea what could cause this and if this can be remedied in any way?
Thanks for your advice!

Do you mean you have Zero RPM mode enabled, and it still ramps to max speed under light loads? Hate to suggest it, but that sounds defective.

Thanks for your reaction. Both switches are turned off.
I have the two cpu plugs connected to the mobo, and two gpu plugs to the gpu.
And I meant MSFS power save mode.

Sounds wierd, is there anything in your bios fan settings you can play with?

That’s only for cpu fans afaik. So maybe return and go for a different brand…

Erp ready? … I’m not sure what it can and can’t do.

I can personally recommend the 850w BeQuiet straightpower 11 … I literally don’t hear it but if you are pushing big hardware you might want a higher wattage

As far as I’m aware, there is no way for the motherboard and power supply to communicate. There are no dedicated communication channels on the 24 pin MoBo connector, for example, so as long as this power supply does not have it’s own unique connector, there’s no way for your OS or BIOS to tell it how to run the fan. This means the power supply itself is determining that the fans need to run at 100%. If this is happening often, then yes, I think something is wrong with it.

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve ever heard my PSU fan. It’s always quieter than the case fans and CPU fans.

2 Likes

I agree entirely but as long as powerplug networking exists I think I’ll hold back on the no way :wink:

Does this exist on PC motherboards?

Who knows? some motherboards are pretty bespoke nowadays

Changed the PSU for an ASUS ROG STRIX 1000W. Delightful silence.
Sharkoon blew it for me with their PSU.

2 Likes