Powerlines finally made it

ALL ROADS HAVE WIRES

ALL RTs HAVE AIRCRAFT

I made that clear in my post that some approaches these are needed. Iā€™m considering this more in the realm of airport enhancement rather than general implementation

1 Like

Theoretically,

they can be used as VFR navigation points, routes just like in reality. Simply not only roads, railway lines but also power lines can be used for VFR navigation, thatā€™s reality. Thinking about only airport condition is not good and correct idea.

2 Likes

I used power lines before the transmission towers in my VFR flights even were placed in the update because the clearcut in the ground imagery makes them easy to follow. I also explained this in my post. attaching the actual wires in general is just uneeded overkill

Sry,

donā€™t understand to you, Iā€™ve answered to your question due your text asking why users need cables. Simply if towers hasnā€™t cables between each other then is simply hard see them and logically not easy navigate. Nothing moreā€¦ Youā€™re used some power lines before patch? How it can be possible? You have some 3-rd party addon?

I didnā€™t need the actual power line and towers to be there. The clearcut is what you follow anyways. Example in poor flight conditions - Low & Slow is the Way to Go | South of Mt Pleasant and pickiā€¦ | Flickr I had no trouble using the clearcut from the power lines to follow it to my next airport destination (right in front of the nose heading off to the upper-left center)

Like i said - in previous flight sim versions the default ground scenery did not have these clearcuts, which meant that actually having the tower models to follow was essential. Now? Not so much.

1 Like

As Iā€™ve seen so far rigorous clear cutting for powerlines is something that Iā€™ve only ever really noticed in th US. In other countries powerlines often are built a lot less invasively to the environment.

ok thatā€™s something I did not know and would make sense under the current MSFS scenery

I can say from my experience,

comparing towers from sim and in my city (in real life), they are also attached on places like in real life :smiley: really fun.

I also realized out in the western US, for just one example, this idea of clearcut lines would certainly not be a thing

Bit OT, but has anyone found a big wind turbine farm thingy? I had a look at this location after it was posted, but I was only able to find one turbine there, maybe I missed them. Thereā€™s collection of them by CPH - Copenhagen in real life but last I checked there werenā€™t any there in game.

All they need to do is train the AI what a feature looks like and then implement what models to add to that detected feature. The future is endless for this! TV, mobile and other transmission towers, wind farms (already in there a bit), solar panels, piers and jetties. All of these could be trained. Iā€™m sure you guys can think of more.

One niche one could be road traffic direction detection. Then we wouldnā€™t have cars driving against the flow on highways.

1 Like

The roads should have directional info from the map data, as well as bridges, fly overs etc. No need to parse it from the often low res aerial imagery. Which is what makes it difficult to recognize different types of transmission towers. Without meta data it will be hard to figure out what those couple pixels mean or how high it should be.

But true, with time, source data will improve, as well as the AI to parse it. Iā€™m hoping for train tracks and bridges first as those are very recognizable from the air and great for VFR.

Are you being serious? Have you ever flown an aircraft in real life and done some old school VFR? Man fanboys are the worstā€¦Xplane has perfectly place powerline and trust me there are airfields with lines put in weird position on approach and instances where they are used for navigation.

Having a game that is made by a triple A developer without things available for free on Xplane 11 is a joke really quit fanboyingā€¦

Go take off from KMHV, tons of turbines to the west.

Thanks man. Thatā€™s a great spot indeed. A user uploaded it to the website a while back (disclosure, Iā€™m part of the team) so I checked it out as soon as I saw it, and I was not disappointed :slight_smile:

Nice! Now waiting for the addition of actual cables

did you read through the thread? I already stated powerlines would be nice for specific airports that require them.

can you confirm powerlines were in the base XPlane game? Itā€™s a much older platform thatā€™s been under development from the same developer. MSFS is an old franchise but this latest iteration is a new game. why ppl expect it to match XPlane or P3D on some features that have been added to these years-old products is a bit short-sighted IMO