Pressure smoothing

Brief description of the issue: Air pressure is changing instantaneously

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detail steps to reproduce the issue encountered:flying with live weather data

I have over 8,300 real flight hours and this is not what happens. We need to figure out a way to make these changes in weather less instantaneous and more of a realistic manner. As it is now, all aircraft has altimeters that move about and APs that continuously over compensate for this change. Same applies to winds, however, they should be allowed a little bit of latitude because that does happen sometimes with sudden changes, ie windshear.

3 Likes

Hi @SandBass892502,
I agree with you on this. If you have not done so, file a zendesk report. File it as a bug.

2 Likes

Done. Filler

1 Like

Glad someone mentioned it. It drives me crazy on big sudden pressure changes while cruising along at altitude.

1 Like

It does this a lot with winds aloft as well; you’d be casually zipping along at 35,000’ and then conditions suddenly change, your 75 knot tailwind becomes an 80 knot crosswind, the altimeter jumps 400’, and then 10 seconds later the exact opposite happens.

There needs to be better smoothing of weather data. I suspect part of the issue is due to passing METAR stations with outdated weather info (possibly by hours).

1 Like

I just filed a ticket about this. Super annoying to suddenly find yourself flying with severe overspeed, especially with OnAir where it gives you a considerable drop on reputation :confused:

2 Likes

Hello,

Thank you @Beechc23 for reopening this.

This is still an issue. I am constantly getting jumps of 0.3-0.5 inHg in flights, going from one value to the other in less than a second. Sometimes the jump is so sudden the autopilot kicks out because it can’t track the altitude, which varies by more than 500ft in some cases.

I hope Asobo are looking into this. Since it involves smoothing conditions over a large volume of air, i can’t imagine it being a trivial fix, but it’s something they need to do anyways.

1 Like

Thank you for raising this issue! Very important, should be made a priority by Asobo… sure hope this gains traction and increased visibility.

Thanks again!!!

It really seems like it’s very dependent on location. Two days ago i was flying over Zion National Park in the US and i was getting extremely violent pressure changes. Yesterday i was flying around Hawaii and it was pretty smooth. At least in terms of pressure. I was still getting violent wind changes every now and then.

This might have one of two root causes, maybe both:

1. There is little or no interpolation being done between different weather areas. We know MeteoBlue’s map doesn’t have meter accuracy, so there are bound to be transitions.
  2. There is little or no interpolation being done between weather updates, so that when a new weather state is downloaded it gets immediately replaced, with no transition.

The above would explain the wind better than the pressure. It is a bit unlikely that you’d get 0.3 inHg change in pressure either over a few miles (for the weather area interpolation) or over a few minutes (or however often weather is updated, for the weather update interpolation).

1 Like

Had another jump in pressure just now, with it jumping to 30.23 inHg. That is not the first time i saw it jump to this value, and it has happened in completely different parts of the world. That sounds like some sort of default value used when something breaks.

1 Like

I’ve noticed a lot of big swings up at cruise lately. Before they were just annoying, now they’re getting pretty out of hand. I hope we can get a fix for this in order to keep the immersion alive. That and my pax and crew in the back:-)

1 Like

Just tried to do a flight from EGLL to EDDF on Monday, 12th of April 09:00Z take off time with life weather. At CRZ LVL 390 my FBW A320 got smashed around every time the sim switched to the next weather station. Deviation of appr. 800ft from CRZ ALT kept the AP busy. Every time the ALT DEV horn sounded and the AP tried to follow with up to 1800ft/min climb or descend. The best plane doesn’t make sense in a sim like this. Topic is as old as this thread at least. xPlane can handle this since years/ever. Boy oh boy this sim is still in Alpha stage about a year from release. Very frustrating looking at the prize. Still stops me from buying any addons.

Press B as soon as it happens and that should prevent the plane from going crazy chasing the altitude. Sure, pressing B isn’t very realistic, but neither are these huge pressure changes.

1 Like

Bumping again, this is still an issue.

1 Like

I just had my plane overspeed and crash after a weather change. The plane’s airspeed speed instantly changed by something like 100 KIAS and I didn’t even get 1 second to react before the crash screen. I see this happen pretty often with live weather and I just adjust the throttle to try to get speed back to normal, but this is the first time it’s happened so drastically that it’s actually caused my plane to crash. This seems like a major game breaking bug that makes live weather unusable. Has Asobo indicated anything about working to fix the these weather transition issues?

1 Like

Nope. This is why I haven’t flown MSFS by Asobo for a long time and won’t be until this has been addressed. Not buying anything for it, not wasting my time with it.

Evidently this is so low on the priority list, its not not even spoken of by the Devs, yet the Mods here speak highly of it.

2 Likes

This is more and more often and brutal flying under 18000 is nearly impossible. Pressure is going from 2990 to 3044 instantaneously… Flying a plane like a DC6 in these conditions is a real pain.
Voted… and will fill a ticket.

2 Likes

This has still not been addressed in SU5. I also just experienced a bug where ISA DEV was +60C at FL300. Very disappointing. Weather accuracy should be a very high priority for a Flight Simulator.

2 Likes

Especially if the devs refuse to not open it to 3rd parties…

3 Likes