Freeware Embraer Aircraft Blog

Ouroboros Jets is working on an Embraer E170, E175, E190, E195 for Microsoft Flight Simulator!

Check out our website here: https://ouroborosjets.com/

Watch our youtube videos here: Ouroboros Jets - YouTube

Join the Community Discord here: Ouroboros Jets

Preface;
Ouroboros Jets is a small development team making high quality, free aircraft for the game Microsoft Flight Simulator. The group was founded in the beginning of 2021. The team consists of individuals with varying skill sets and talent. Some joined to learn more about asset development, and some are veteran modelers with aspirations to make their first usable product. The simple mission is to be the first team to bring a high quality freeware airplane to the sim’s marketplace. With the recent degradation in payware quality products, the need for competition and a perspective change is needed evermore. Ouroboros Jets is happy to share with you our most recent progress.

Project Update Publish [March, 13, 2022]

Hello MSFS Forum! I haven’t forgotten about you all. Instead of the usual update board I will keep this one purely to the update from our discord again due to the long nature of the post. Enjoy.

#Developer Connections #1 [03|12|22]

Today we’re going to try a new format of updates. This will include many of our developers pitching in to help explain the jet and our process in greater detail. We will host more devleoper connections if we receive posistive feedback from this initial trial, but we will not perform them as often as our typical update logs & screenshots. The time it takes to prepare something nice has restricted us only to the simple picture and comment. We have been developing for over a year now and having a proper benchmark for the community felt like the right thing to do. Enough blabber and enjoy the presentations from our fantastic volunteer developers.

You all know me already, but I’ll give a brief description of my current tasks as the other developers will be doing likewise. Right now I am busy managing the group and helping to plan the future layout of how an aircraft is made. I am driving the group to make “Standards” we can end up replicating throughout the lifecycle of an Ouroboros Jets add on. I have also kept up working on the XML files for the jet so users can interact with the jet in the most logical way possible. Bringing the jet to life has been serious fun for me to do after the stressful environment of real flying. With Taco’s assistance, we will together be remaking the large majority of asset topology now that we have most of the objects in the correct physical locations as per real life. Having a quickly built model solo was a great thing to keep the ball moving as each developer learnt the ropes of the new sim, and uses the current model in game to test their work. Now we can refine the work to be accurate and well suited for the game engine. Reducing poly counts and addressing shading errors from my previously bad models will ensure the best jet we can possibly make. Below is a picture showing the newly formed topology on an existing asset(s). Extensive research is also underway to understand the game and it’s limitations. What may exist from FSX does not always apply to the new engine.

Other methods for the creation of generalized aircraft within the simulator have cropped up over the past year, and I’m willing to show you a new method we will soon apply to our favorited Ejet family to increase it’s accuracy. Thanks to our fantastic @embraercrew , we have received information on a scale we can’t even begin to use, but we will apply it to the visualized parts of the aircraft for the simulator. Anything not imminently visible to the user will not be created to save time and performance. While ripping up the floorboards of the jet would be a fun addition, it is rather impractical. (If any other dev does this though hey my hats off!) Below you can see my funky test of a fuselage creation. While the cross sections of the test subject are inaccurate for a hobbyist model, with the information we now have for the Ejet it is likely possible to get the shape and dimensions of the fuselage accurate within inches, as we cannot afford the time or money to spend on the prized “3D Scan” of an aircraft.

Hello everyone, my name is Taco and I am a screen dev working on the PFD and EICAS for the E-170. Today I will be showcasing our Honeywell Primus Load 27.1 PFD. In the video below you can see the PFD in action during takeoff, Landing, as well as some footage of excessive pitch markings, overspeed logic, and the stall warning markings

-Completed Features:

• Artificial Horizon
  • Airspeed Tape
  • V-Speed Bugs
  • Recommended flap speed bug
  • AP speed && altitude bugs
  • Altimiter
  • Vertical Speed Needle
  • Radio Altimiter (including terrain warning on altitude tape)
  • Baro adjustment
  • GPS and VOR navigation via HSI
  • Working overspeed, stall, excessive slip/skid and excessive pitch warnings
  • Current NAV and COM frequencies displayed on the bottom of PFD

-Tasks that I have started:

• Vertical and horizontal guidence bugs (currently just static)
  • FMA (waiting for more AP information, only static for the showcase)
  • Projected speed (this needs some fixes)

-Tasks that are planned for the future:

• Alternate map mode (waiting for shared component with MFD)
  • Declutter under excesive pitch or bank

Hi, my name is Lincoln and I work with SDK and systems development. I am currently reworking the aircraft systems and the flight model to be as close to the real aircraft as possible. We are always looking for real references for development and soon we should demonstrate more in depth how everything works. The fuel system was made based on the real diagram and following the logic from the manuals. As you can see in the image below, the fuel system is very simple when compared to other aircraft. Much of the process is also automated, making the operation of the aircraft even easier. Soon we will show the complete operation in the cockpit along with the electrical system. The flight model is also being redone over the course of more documents so that we can have the correct real-life performance from day one.

Hello there, my name’s Vitor and i’m the lead Graphical Artist responsible for the visual identity of the Ouroboros team, decals for the cockpit, font for the screens, EFB’s UI concept and planning, i’m also providing help to our screen developers when needed and now i am starting to work with textures in Substance Painter.

Founder and Chief developer at Ouroboros Jets ~jerj100

39 Likes

Great news! The E195 is one of the aircraft I’m most keen to see in MSFS. I really appreciate the free E170 so we can try before we buy as such.

Good luck!

3 Likes

Sounds great! The E-Series are wonderful aircrafts!

2 Likes

We think so too!

1 Like

Project looks really good. Especially with the updated renders today! Can’t wait to take flight in this amazing plane.

2 Likes

Lets see if this project will see the light of the day somewhen. I learned to not get excited anymore abour 3D renders. So many projects got cancelled when it comes to actually code the systems. A 3D model alone does not make a plane.

I wish you good luck with further development :crossed_fingers:

4 Likes

Hi HXArdito,

We see it all too often in the community. I really appreciate your support as always. The bigger worry our group was internalliy discussing is the near scam like quality of payware hitting the market all of the sudden. This could give us a chance to truly prove what freeware can be similar to FBW’s goal.

P.S. We are about to drop a nice update within the preceeding few days. I kind of let this thread die as we dive deep into the most difficult parts of development.

Stay safe and happy flying!

8 Likes

Mod Comment:

A number of posts were removed from this thread as they were not MSFS related and seemed to be of no benefit to the MSFS community.

Please keep all posts directly releated to the topic at hand.

Thanks for everyone’s continued cooperation in this!

6 Likes

Looking forward to it, good luck with the development!

2 Likes

Thanks Hugo! Writing up the next update now.

2 Likes

New update stuff looks great! Excited to see what the plane is like in the sim.
I’ll probably do a lot of short haul to regional flights in this plane.

3 Likes

Excellent update, progress is being made and it looks great.
If you manage to program a good PFD, MFD, EICAS and a good flight model this will be one of the most used planes in the sim. Take your time and don’t rush things whatever people say!
Best regards

2 Likes

Thank you Hugo! The team really appreciated your comment.

2 Likes

Been following you guys on discord, like I follow many other freeware devs. And I have to say, you guys are among few that I feel like do a great job, are committed to what you do and will follow through.

I have never had the pleasure to fly an E-Jet. But I, like many others, do the short hauls quite a bit. And this bird will actually make trips to smaller fields so much more immersive (I mean, who flies a A320 from Chicago to Louisville)

2 Likes

Hey mynolix, I’m glad we might be the first to get you in the Embraer cockpit! Short hops are more exciting in my opinion. There’s a lot of action happening in rapid succession. The Ejets have a unique style that you can’t find on small regional aircraft. An Embraer is needed next to so many Boeing and Airbus products.

1 Like

Well hello! I’m doing today’s major update post

Over the last month or so we have been hard at work on the plane. In today’s update I’m proud to announce that all exterior animations are almost finished with working doors, cargo door, flaps, and spoilers. On the model itself we have our unique radome as well as a RAT that will deploy.
The model itself has had the windows reworked with now a galley view when the doors open up. We even went ahead and accurately modeled the cargo space with lighting to make it that even better of a model.

Moving into the interior, we have started to rework the cockpit, enhancing our original design while also streamlining the model. Right now the main control panels and screens have been completely redone, next will be the side panels then the seats. This process is to not only enhance the visuals of the cockpit but also to give you guys an amazing experience in the plane.

With the screens, our EICAS has made great strides with moving parts with engines and flaps moving on screen besides just changing numbers. A lot is being done with these screens that text can’t do them justice so below is a photo of the amazing screens.

As for texturing, we are going with a hybrid between textures and materials so we can deliver a high quality model without having to sacrifice detail for textures. Our graphic designer who helps with the visuals of the screens will be helping with texturing when it’s time, and that time is pretty soon with how close the physical model is to being done.

While I know all these pictures look like the plane is close to being done, we still have a lot of work to go with coding and things like sounds (which has proved to be a bit tricky) but we will continue to give you guys updates every so often on our progress.
We can’t wait for you guys to take off and fly in this amazing plane one day!
Until next time,

Ouroboros Jets Development team

15 Likes

Fantastic progress, Kudos to the team! Can’t wait to fly another proper airliner in the sim.

Do you know if on the project roadmap things like SimBrief integration with the FMS along with VNAV are included?

Would love to add this to my VatSim fleet one day.

2 Likes

We have yet to announce any sort of 3rd party integration. It’s certainly something to consider moving forward! We are putting all of our resources into getting a solid base to build off of before we introduce any complex systems to the jet. Thanks for all the support!

2 Likes

I would buy this if you decided to sell it! Looks great! Much better than virtualcol’s attempt!

1 Like

Greatly Appreciated AZFlyGuy1! I’m still a little upset with the quality of that work in the marketplace but that’s what we hope to fix. The power of open source groups are still yet to be seen in these “hay days” of development.

2 Likes