I’ve been flying the Baron G58 in MSFS a lot lately. Since it’s a deluxe plane, the config files are encrypted and there are currently no community mods for it. For whatever reason, Asobo configured the plane to always use automixture, so moving the mixture levers has no effect. In spite of that I find it very enjoyable to fly. It’s a great airplane for long cross-country flights – definitely faster than the DA62, although I find the DA62 easier to land.
From what I can see, here is a quick run-down of the pros and cons of the Baron:
- Fast and Powerful for a piston-driven plane – cruises at close to 200 ktas, climbs like a rocket.
- Large fuel capacity and long range
- Amazingly detailed and gorgeous 3D model – both interior and exterior
- Balanced flight characteristics of a twin engine (no torque effect)
- De-icing capability
- Mixture control is disabled
- Landing gear drag seems too minimal (hard to slow down)
- Cowl flaps don’t produce any drag (not noticeable in airspeed)
- High final approach speed at landing configuration compared to most other piston aircraft (This is not a bug. The real airplane’s Vapp = 96 kias)
I haven’t seen much discussion of the Baron, so I’d like to rectify that injustice! For any Baron pilots out there in MSFS, what do you like or dislike about it?