PSA: LOD Slider Can Be Increased Past 200 - Dramatically Improves Photogrammatery

So glad I’m not the only on having such issues.

Going to try this today! Pics are Gold Coast Australia.

2 Likes

Could someone be kind enough to help me find the cfg file for the Steam version?

Users/name/AppData/Roaming/Microsoft Flight Simulator/UserCfg.opt

2 Likes

Yes! Thank you!
Thank you very much.

After testing intense I would also recommend for both 3.

I also recognized that the streaming data bandwidth punch harder than at 1. I got with setting 4 way above 35Mbit/s permanent and after one hour of flight in final it wasn’t smooth anymore.

But both (Terrain/Objects) on 3 gave a very nice looking smooth result @4K.
(High end rigs, over 5.0GHz, over 2000Mhz GPU core clock, above 8GB VRAM, 32 GB Ram,above 3000MHz Ram Speed, NVME, above 50/Mbits bandwidth speed).

Stability was no problem.

With the Ampere GPU generation there will be plenty more headroom to play and the 4 should work :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes::sunglasses:.

I would like also see DX12 and pixel package calculation and DLSS 2.0.

First I would ever make a backup of there user.cfg.

Pointing the upcoming update it’s the best way to get stock values back again. To be safe for the updating. Normally it should not affect the updating process.

I raised the rays also in the .cfg setting. Wow…need sunglasses…

Anybody tested the Film Grain setting ? I tested some values around and see with lower values slightly more grain and higher slightly less grain ? Edit: 0 is off 1 on.

After some more testing, here are my findings with non-Photogrammetry autogen as this is what I prefer.

Objects LOD makes no difference to the draw distance of objects. The last image is with Objects LOD = 8.0 and Terrain LOD = 2.0 and I can see no difference between it and the Objects LOD = 2.0 and Terrain LOD = 2.0 case

Terrain LOD does increase draw distance but at a huge Ram cost and definite frame rate loss.

System: 8700K @4.8 GHz HT On, 1080 TI, 64 GB Ram, 4K resolution

The settings for each are shown on the title of each image and are taken from the same position and altitude approaching Paris.

Note the GPU memory usage and the Ram usage !! The GPU is at max memory of 11 GB for the 1080 TI !!

Yes that is really is 44.5 GB of Ram in the Terrain LOD = 8.0 case !!!

The FPS is not indicative as I have the sim paused for the screenshot.

My conclusion is that present GPUs do not have sufficient memory at high terrain LODs. I will be buying the new Nvidia card with the most Vram !!

5 Likes

Awesome! This was my biggest gripe with the sim’s presentation is that until I fly the same area a few passes that it looks like the cities were all bombed out.
Maybe they can make this a separate option

I wouldn’t be opposed to some kind of option where the sim can pre-cache your flight planned areas, let it spend 10mins ‘loading’ your departure and arrival areas in detail

1 Like

What we need is the ability to pre-cache textures in high resolution and not photogrammetry data and/or objects.

6 Likes

Exists. look under managed cache and you can manually download scenery for regions between low, mid and high resolutions. Bring a large disk

This video looks like a LOD much higher than 200.
And a little of the footage appears from a fairly high altitude. The LOD at 3 did make a difference on my PC, but I need some new hardware to push this sim. Your thoughts on this vid and crispy clear scenery?

It exists but it sucks, sucks, sucks, to use. 2 Main Problems.

#1 It needs to allow you to preselect the resolution and just draw on the map. Zooming in and out takes way too long when you want a high res cache of a city
#2 Once you build a few caches, the map loading lags terribly

It needs to be fixed before it’s useful, unless you are only wanting to paint very very very small parts of the world. Even covering a airport alone with ‘high’ takes far too long as you scroll and paint, scroll and paint…

3 Likes

So the 3090Ti with 24Gb RAM will come in very handy :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Have mine set to 100 and although it doesn’t look that good higher up

My current setup cannot handle 200 LOD.Do not really notice a huge fps hit just stutters.

I might as well stick to flying 3000ft or below

Thanks for the feedback. Saved me whole lot of time!

Yes that’s the conclusion I’ve drawn on the GPU… Plus 64 GB OF RAM…(I saw 45 Gb used in one test !!!)

1 Like

For anyone that can’t get it to work, even after setting the usercfg to read only. Open the usercfg and look if the preset is saying Ultra (or any other preset) and remove that and type ‘Custom’

So now the user cfg should say: Preset: Custom

Save it, put it back to read only and now it works. At least for me. Somehow it won’t chage to custom if you have a preset applied in the settings. So it won’t read the new configured file with the higher lods.

2 Likes

Thank you, this turns out to be a good solution. It set both entries to 4.0 and it makes a huge difference. Ground looks so much better at high altitudes.

1 Like

I put this up to 3.0 today but still had this issue.

I don’t know what else to do, but when flying into smaller airports it’s rather annoying as there’s like 50/75 foot green walls (that are supposed to be trees) around the airport. The solution is turning off photogrammetry but I shouldn’t have to do that, and, the sim looks terrible without it in the areas that I’m flying.

I also have the entire area downloaded in high quality, and a rolling cache set up. Same problem.

Submitted a zendesk ticket 6 days ago, no response. This is the major issue for me right now, I have no problem waiting for the simconnect and wind issues to be sorted out, but this just makes the game completely unrealistic.

Does anybody else experience the same thing?

Done the same and it’s amazing now even at +30000 feet

I cant run even 3/3, and i have 9900k/2080ti/32GB… Takes too much FPS.