PSA: Reverb G2 small sweet spots, observations and solutions

Really weird. @CptLucky8 and I have gone completely in opposite directions on the possible need for +OD help for presbyopia. Initially based on fooling around with a smartphone VR headset and a kiddie Google Cardboard VR education science kit lab, I thought I’d need plenty of +OD correction - +2 OD seemed to help with the smartphone VR headset vs. no glasses. My normal prescription for reading at 40 cm is a +2.5 OD correction.

Now that I actually have a HP Reverb G2 headset, my conclusion is that no additional +OD correction helps my native unaided vision, the +0.5 OD reading glasses ordered from Amazon are worse, and +1 OD worse still. And trying unaided vs. my normal prescription lenses with graduated progressive bifocals again, the unaided vision is better because the increasingly progressive bifocals mess up the lower part of the visual field. My left unaided eye is definitely worse than the right so I think ultimately prescription inserts to correct both eyes individually, both for myopia/hyperopia and astigmatism, will work best.

Although I downloaded both the Steam free version of TestHMD and the paid version bought on the TestHMD itch.io website, since one has to run those under SteamVR, I decided standing out on the terrace of the Windows Mixed-Reality Portal Cliff House and looking back inside toward a display of Windows Store offerings was the best and easiest test for static visual acuity, as shown by the picture below. I moved the Store object to the distance shown and looked at the finest text on the popped-up Store offerings. For me, unaided viewing plus the physical IPD distance displayed in the Settings, Mixed Reality, Headset Display slider box gave the clearest view of the finest text on the Store pop-ups. I use the white roof support and the white background of the Windows Store logo as a test of chromatic aberration and didn’t notice any (maybe I’m visually “tone deaf?!”). Looking at the individual blades of grass on the green terrace lawn and also to the right and up into the sky to see the stars (or whatever they are) helped confirm that my viewing conditions were pretty good.

BTW, if anyone knows how to save a VR screen capture efficiently, I’d love to know. After calling up the Windows VR “Start” screen with the Windows button on the controller, taking a picture, getting a floating screen capture window, the only way I could figure out how to save the picture was from the title bar middle right sharing icon to share the picture to Snip & Sketch! Then save the pix from there.

CptLucky8 recommends in his settings advice to use low-resolution and 720p as the settings for the Windows Mixed-Reality Portal screen to have more resources for MSFS. For the purposes of such an eye test, if you otherwise use CptLucky8’s settings, remember to be sure you have your Settings, Mixed-Headset Display, Quality of My Home settings set to High for level of detail and quality of effect and 1080p for window resolution for the purpose of using the Cliff House as a visual acuity chart.

P.S. The sharpness of the image in the G2 headset is quite a bit better than captured here in the picture and saved as a .JPG and then site-processed after upload.