[PSA] XPForce force-feedback will be coming to FS2020!

Hi Jim,

Do you think you would be able to include a fast launch (skip intros) on the next version?

Thanks very much

Sorry, I’m not sure what you mean? There’s no forced startup delay or intros as it is?

I mean when launching the sim can you include a -FastLaunch to be able to skip the Asobo game studios, etc intro videos? When we use the XPForce exe to launch the sim, we currently have to sit through the intros. Thanks!

Please see:

2 Likes

Oh, sorry, I didn’t know that. Yes, I can add that very quickly. Thanks for the heads-up.

2 Likes

Fantastic! Really looking forward to the new version. I’ve got my DIY FFB yoke on the go.

Thanks for the command line option.

1 Like

Once again, I’m convinced I posted this a few days ago…

Thanks, I see both the X-Plane and MSFS changelogs

Thanks Jim, I’ve been using your software on XPlane for a couple years and I’m very glad you’re supporting FS2020 as well.

This may not be the proper place for a feature request, but I wonder if you would consider adding a confirmation dialog for quitting XPForce? On a couple instances I have accidentally closed out the app while FS2020 is still running and there doesn’t appear to be a way to re-enable without quitting FS2020. I’ve hit the esc key not thinking it would quit out the app, and another time I thought hitting the close “X” would minimize the app back down to the system tray… not that it’s the best convention ever, but I think I’ve become trained by other applications that make use of the system tray.

Unrelated to all of the above, but I had an issue getting the latest FS2020 version to work last night, where the XPForce app would hang when FS2020 launched, shortly after the nvidia experience popup faded out. It would remain on a black screen (similar to other FS2020 bugs) until I closed out XPForce, at which point FS2020 would launch as normal. In this scenario I could consistently get XPForce to crash if I clicked the ‘rescan’ button. Dxdiag reported the correct driver was loaded, and forceTest.exe worked every time… The only error I could find in the XPForce log was something like: “Exception: ???”, and I was just about to contact your via support, until I tried a different USB port and suddenly everything worked fine. Makes no sense to me, but it was the last thing I could think to try (I had also clean-installed every archived version of XPForce, rebooted in between, tried administrator mode, etc). Not sure why I’m telling you all this, but maybe someone in the future will run into the same trouble I had and after you’ve gone through all the logical steps to troubleshoot, you can tell 'em to try another USB port :slight_smile: :wink:

edit: accidentally nested this response, whoops.

2 Likes

Hello Jim
Hope you as very well!
I would like to sincerely apologize for speaking rudely to you last year.
One thing that’s clear is that, I didn’t just have a problem with my DIY Yoke like you said.
It also has one MS FFB2 and I tested both of them, and I was very disappointed because nothing changed At that time but But I shouldn’t have said that. Sorry again to you. I was so bad.

Thank you for making a great application.

Best Regards,

Younghoon

1 Like

The change of USB socket, for me too, was the answer to a problem with FFB2 continuously powered on. As I was about to accuse XPFORCE

Interesting on the change of USB port, on both counts. It’s not something I’ve come across before. As you say, well worth noting as another thing to test. Close confirmation when the sim’s still running makes sense, I’ll get that added.

@Younghoon1982 Thank you, it’s appreciated. I believe that the problems you had reported are now all fixed, I just needed accurate information on what to look for.

2 Likes

I just bought this little tool and paired with my SFFP2. Incredible! Just took my MSFS experience next level. Had to adjust setting for AP not to disconnect once engaged, everything works like a charm. Completed a short IFR flight with the 737 max, you can feel drag as if the airframe is swimming through dense air, not to mention all the taxiway and runway bumbs as if reading Braille! Best $15 I spent in a while :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Jim,

I just tried your mod for the first time and I’ve encountered a pretty substantial issue.

Let me preface this by saying that – when I’ve been able to get it to work – this feels incredible, with the forces feeling more realistic than I ever expected from a sim. Some seriously impressive work, especially when I compare it to the more primitive FFB implementations I’ve used in the past.

My issue is that my stick vibrates almost constantly both on the ground or in flight. I’m using a Logitech Wingman Force 3d. The shaking abates sometimes for a period of seconds (over which the effects are perfect) but always seems to return. I tried disabling the stick shaker effect in the XPForce menu, but it didn’t seem to make a difference. I don’t have any particular steps to replicate this glitch as it happens almost constantly for me without doing anything in particular – though I’m happy to perform any tests you might need in order to diagnose. I should also note that I haven’t yet bought the full version – as if this is going to be something I experience everytime I fly I’d rather go without for the time being – so I guess it’s possible it’s something to do with the demo.

If there’s already a fix in the works, or I’ve configured something wrong, or I’m just missing something obvious, I apologise for bringing this up – I’m just trying to get your excellent plugin working for the best sim experience possible.

All the best

The change of USB socket, for me too, was the answer to a problem with FFB2 continuously powered on. As I was about to accuse XPFORCE

I’m not sure if this comment was meant for me, but I tried to switch the USB port and the shaking (mostly - but not entirely) disappears.

Now I have a perhaps even stranger problem where the force pushes away from centre instead of towards it.

I was going to suggest that the vibration sounds like you’ve blocked up the grip sensor and aren’t holding the stick, this is a guaranteed way of setting up an oscillation. I don’t have the Logitech to test with but there’s no reason for it to be different to any other controller, and I do know that many people are using them successfully. I’d suggest posting the exact aircraft you’re using - this makes a huge difference - and how you’re testing with enough detail for someone else to do exactly the same thing. It will either ring a bell with me, or somebody who does have the same stick can do the same test and let you know what happens for them.

Yeah, I read through the whole thread and noticed that not holding the stick seemed to be a common factor in other complaints of shaking, so I made sure when testing to keep a hand on it… In any case the oscillations seem to have disappeared (perhaps I was gripping slightly harder and providing more damping today, and that’s what fixed it rather than changing USB ports).

I’m able to replicate these new ‘reversed’ forces with so far every aircraft I’ve tried. e.g. the current iconic flight (westray/papa westray in the Bonanza), or a new flight I set up (I tried with the c172 and Savage Cub). On the ground with no airspeed, elevator droop pushes the stick forward, but once in the air the problem begins. If I move my stick away from the centre deadzone, the force acts outwards (at least in the pitch axis – I wasn’t noticing too much in roll). This means that if I were to let go, the stick would go to its extreme position.

Similarly, the trim (at least with the alternate trim enabled) exhibits some very strange behaviour (though it’s a bit harder to describe).

I actually do have a backup Logitech stick, so I’ll give that a try and see if it does the same – though I think if it were something specific to the Logitech sticks in particular, someone else would have noticed this too! Other FFB plugins or FFB-supporting games seem to function as normal.

If it would help, I’d be able to produce a video demonstrating the effect.

Anyone have an issue with XPForce causing MSFS2020 to hang during startup?

Yes, it does that quite often. But not always. I can’t work out what the difference is when it will and won’t let MSFS finish starting up.