Quest 1, Ryzen 5 5600x, RTX3080: CPU & GPU heavily underutilized

Hi,

I have been tweaking around with my Quest 1 and tried everything with Link and Virtual Desktop. Eventually I ended up with a pretty steady framerate of around 30fps. Which is basically fine, BUT…when I check my taskmanager I see that my CPU (Ryzen 5 5600x) is only utilized for 25% and my GPU (RTX3080) even less than 20%.

I found out that the solution with virtual Desktop delivers the best performance and most steady framerate.

My settings in VD are 60Hz, Medium graphics quality and VR bitrate of around 70Mbps. Steam VR I have disabled motion smoothing and classic reprojection. My frametimes in SteamVR are around 21ms.

Does anyone of you have any idea on how I can crank more fps out of my GPU with the Quest 1? I mean, this system should be able to deliver at least a steady 40fps and my Quest should also be able to deliver such framerates.

Thanks for your response.

I have a quest 2 with 3700x/3070. I run the 90fps preset with High quality in VD.

I set settings in game back to default.

30 fps in the heaviest areas (new york, tokyo, etc). Goes up higher in less insane areas.

GPU usage 80%, cpu 20%. Can’t get it above that sadly, also around 20ms (steamVR).

Game latency is still poor, but overall I get 60ms which is playable.

I could not get it to work with link.

As for your system, perhaps consider cranking up the settings one by one? First try max quality + fps in VD settings. Then increase the in game settings as well. You should be able to go pretty high with that system.

Though, I am not sure about quest 1 - I think it is limited by how fast the chip can decode. Not sure if that’s a problem.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.