Quest 1 users, anyone?

I am using a quest on an HP omen 15 laptop. 10th Gen I7, RTX 2060, 16 gigs of Ram. It has been very difficult and time consuming to get VR performance up to decent playability, but it can be done. Whether that is due to the quest or the 2060 is tough to sort out, but after reading just about every tuning thread on this site and a ton of experimentation I’ve come to the following conclusions:

A specific driver is not the right answer for all systems. Lots of folks love Nvidia driver 457.30. It was terrible on my machine. The latest driver is not the fastest frame rate for me, but it is definitely the smoothest.

Using GPU overclocking such as MSI’s program may speed up frame rate but induce stutters, or not. Depends on the driver and the system.

Using the Oculus Tray Tool (OTT) may work well or not. Again, depends on the system and the driver in use. Likewise with the Oculus debug tool (ODT). Within those tools, setting super sampling rates and using ASW may make things better or worse for both stutters and frame rates. Depends on the system and the driver.

Using Windows Hardawre Accelerated Graphics (HAG) may make thing worse or better. Again, depends on the driver and the system.

Are you starting to see a pattern here? Thought so. Having said that, after so many hours of testing that I am embarrassed to admit I have figured out what currently works best for MY SYSTEM:

I use MSI overclocking for the GPU. I also use the built in Omen gaming program to unservolt the CPU a bit, just to reduce overall heat load.

I use ODT to set the following parameters:
Supersampling rate is 1.4
FOV is .7;.7
ASW is force 45 fps, ASW disabled
Distortion curvature is set to low
Encode resolution is 2912
Bit rate 200

After setting all of that, minimize (don’t close) ODT.

Open the oculus link software, start MSFS, and go to settings. Reset everything to default. Set TAA TO 70, building and terrain to 70, and everything else that is set to low should be set to medium. Those items that are off by default can be left off for the time being.

Launch the game from the airport of your choice. Once you are there, ctrl tab to start VR.

Hope it works for you. If not, we can start discussing Nvidia driver settings. I have tweaked some of those as well but I’m not convinced they matter that much.

Since you have a 3080 you should be able to get away with much higher resolution than I can, but I don’t know at what point the quest becomes the bottleneck.

1 Like