Quest 2 + 3090... bad performance

Hi all,

I recently got a long-awaited 3090RTX, thinking it would solve all my flight sim problems, and lo and behold I’m not getting the performance I expected!

The software is patched to the latest, as is my Nvidia drivers.

My PC details are:

Windows 10
CPU: Intel Xeon W2155 3.30 GHz
RAM: 96 GB
HDD: (hosting MSFS) SSD
GPU: Asus 3090 RTX
SteamVR (via Virtual Desktop)

But I’m getting 21fps on the runway at Queenstown, or so the developer window says.

2021-08-11 19_42_07-Microsoft Flight Simulator - 1.18.15.0

My settings are the same as this guy’s, which seem quite middling really: MSFS *BEST* VR SETTINGS GUIDE | HP REVERB G2 - YouTube

Any ideas? Is it a bottleneck issue with the CPU?

Thanks in advance.

You need a better cpu to match your gf card.

The specs of my CPU don’t seem much different to an Intel i9 in terms of cores, threads, frequency, hyperthreading etc.

You need something running at 5Ghz + …on min 8 physical cores. I do reccomend HT disabled.
An I9900K or similar OC @5.1 or 5.2 will give you the result you need.

What VR headset are you using and what resolution are you running it at? It looks like you are GPU limited.

Quest 2, and resolution in terms of what configuration? The default for Virtual Desktop etc.

My GPU utilisation goes up to about 90% when flying

And my CPU seems to do nothing
CPU

For best performance when using a Quest 2, I recommend connecting to your PC via Oculus Link and using only the Oculus runtime (you will need to set Oculus as the OpenXR runtime via the Beta menu in the Oculus PC app). Using SteamVR and Virtual Desktop introduces additional performance overhead.

For resolution, I was referring to any super sampling you were applying in the VR runtime or in the game via the Renderscale slider in graphics settings.

I just tried the link cable and Oculus app, but I bought MSFS through Steam, so I have to load SteamVR up from Oculus in order to play it. It was different in terms of it actually looked worse. Very pixelated around the menus and edges of things. It was also wobbly… as in, my visuals wobbled a lot, as if I was looking at the menu, my plane and surroundings through a heat haze.

It didn’t use up as much GPU, around 60%, and my CPU was used more, around 50%, but this time I had everything on Ultra.

My renderscale is set to 110.

I’ve just compared both AirLink and Virtual Desktop. They both consume much more GPU than the cable, over 90%, but AirLink performed better, giving me around 30-40fps in the developer window. AirLink’s menus didn’t look as nice as VD, but the game did. VD gave me around 20fps. Very strange! I haven’t tweaked any AirLink settings (not sure if there are any), but in VD I have set the quality to Ultra and the bitrate to maximum (I was getting 141mbps)

I have the Q2 and the same card and have smooth performance; Fs2020 still likes single core clock speed in the highest IPC possible. Unsure on the all core turbo with a Skylake based server CPU that may yield limiting returns in a game-like scenario. I get less fps in VR; all I care about is smoothness and no stuttering, which I get on an i 5 with the same card on med-high settings.

FOV to .70 via OTT or debug helps give fps.

You do not need to run the game using SteamVR if you bought it on Steam. I bought mine on Steam and I only use the Oculus app. Did you set the Oculus app to be your OpenXR runtime via the Beta menu? If you don’t do this, the game will force launch SteamVR since it will be likely your default OpenXR runtime. MSFS only supports OpenXR runtime, which is why this step is needed.

The low resolution issues and the wobble effect (likely Steam VR’s motion reprojection tech) can be resolved easily once you set your Oculus app to be the Open XR runtime.

Open steam but do not open steam vr, just run oculus app

Absolutely! Beside the fact that you dont need more than 4 cores. Msfs dont act like other contemporary games. The code core comes from the 2000‘s and run single threaded. The game only utilize two cores but those to the max. This are the main thread and the render thread. The answer is brute force on this threads.

Proof: I have 11900k running on 4 cores HT off. In this setup all cores boost permanently to 5.1 Ghz with the 2 most stressed running at 5.3.

This two cores are always maxed out. The both other cores do the OS stuff and are loaded between 60% and 90%.

I have constant fps above 30 with oxr85, rr100, TAA, Lod200, medium - ultra mixed, outside airports I stay between 35 and 40 fps with reverb G2.

I bought the 11900k only for its improved IPC and the 5,3 Ghz boost. Have had oc‘d 8600k before, got ca. 20% improvement. Dont ask for the cost per frame…its simply insane but that was the 3090 investment also :crazy_face::crazy_face::crazy_face:

Thanks all, it seems to work better with Open XR as the runtime so it doesn’t load SteamVR. Also, I notice that if I set the Oculus settings to 72hz (instead of 90 as I originally had it), it’s a lot less stuttery, which is odd, but if it works I’m sticking with it.

I get about 40fps now with everything on Ultra and render scaling at 110. My GPU does go into overdrive though, like maxes out at 99/100% but the temp doesn’t go over 70c. Think it is the CPU that’s causing that problem, and I may look at getting a Ryzen or something in future.

Thanks again

If you can hit half the headset refresh rate, that will give you the most smooth VR experience. And so, if you set it to 90 hz means you need to hit 45 fps to get a smooth experience. If you set it to 72hz, then you only need to hit 36 fps. This explains why 72hz gives you a much smoother experience. If you are able to hit 40 fps consistently, could be worth setting refresh rate to 80hz.

Also, if you find the instruments in the cockpit to be blurry, you can try increasing the Per Pixel Override value via the Oculus Debug Tool and reducing your Renderscale in game.

1 Like

+1 for Ryzen, got a 5900X and it runs so much better. Even got ECC RAM support with a good mainboard if you are into that sort of thing.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.