Quest 2 - 42fps - FIX - don't use link cable

Bertoo did you use virtual desktop through Oculus?

I have exactly the same question…

To repeat from above - you have two options:

1. Oculus Quest 2 with Link cable - use Oculus regedit settings for OpenXR (use ODT or OTT and start Oculus Home)
  2. Oculus Quest 2 wireless with VD, use SteamVR regedit settings for OpenXR ( Start SteamVR and use Settings Tab - Oculus settings do not apply)

NOTE: OpenXR Dev Tool settings are then not used - only with WMR

2 Likes

Whitav8 thanks for sharing.

I will say, virtual desktop has much much better performance over the link setup tho. So I would recommend the VD!

@SwirlyMaple7, I don’t see any option in SteamVR Developer menu that looks anything like “change openxr runtime…”. Any chance you could take a peek and point me in the right direction? Thanks!

Don't set location of OpenXR runtime with the registry, use OpenXR Loader Specs instead This post has a screenshot of the button. Edit: also please note that if you already clicked that button, steamVR will be your chosen openXR runtime, and to change it back to anything else you have to edit the registry. It’s a one-time click.

Thanks, @SwirlyMaple7. For some reason, I don’t have any of those options on the left side of the menu in SteamVR. Check out my screenshot. Any ideas?

Just figured it out. If you don’t have the headset hooked up when opening settings in SteamVR, it won’t show any of the the options except the “Startup / Shutdown” tab. Hopefully this will help someone else. Thanks, @SwirlyMaple7, for the help! Happy New Year!

1 Like

I get better performance with link than virtual desktop,more frames and just looks better

1 Like

can confirm that now :slight_smile: - Link runs way better. No Matter which encoder i use in VD.
but im still having performance issues. even far from populated areas in a good old C172.

This thread is so confusing. Some people get better performance with VD and some people get better performance with Link. I don’t understand why people are getting different results…

1 Like

Must be the people who get good performance without the cable must have very fast internet speeds.

1 Like

Yes, but what are their performance (encode-decode-rates) settings for wireless - both on their Quest2 VD settings, and the game itself - it all works together!

Somehow while using the link cable (ASW disabled) when I start taxiing everything moves really unevenly. As if my frame rate jumps between 40 and 20 all the time. When using Virtual Desktop my frame rate seems to be pretty stable at around 32 FPS.

Now the link cable would be much better than Virtual Desktop if it could sustain 32 FPS like Virtual Desktop does as it would make ASW perform like it should. Now ASW is just a terrible glitchy/warping mess most of the time for me, even when turning it down to 30 fps or even 18 fps.

This frame rate jumping seems to be there even when turning all the settings and rendering resolutions down to very low. So there is definitely something ruining the experience for some of us. Might be the nVidia driver issue, they recently confirmed (yesterday?) on their forums that they are onto something causing the dropped frames in their newer drivers.

Alright, here goes.

I got my Quest 2 yesterday and set it up and it is very smooth with these settings.

I am using the official Oculus Link cable.

I installed the Oculus software and let it update to the latest version. Enabled Beta and it then downloaded I would assume the needed setup for OPENXR to work. I checked the registry and it was pointing to the right folder location.

I set it for 90hz refresh in the Oculus app and in the sim setup the VR settings in Graphics for 90 (at 100 it would stutter) scaling and Ultra for the buildings and terrain. Left grass at low as it was not critcal. Set clouds to Ultra and the other medium to low.

Ran the Oculus debug tool and set pixel scaling to 1.5

Disabled Adaptive GPU performance scale and set Asynchrous space warp to 45 fps ASW disabled.

Specs on my PC are i9-9900k overclocked to 5ghz custom water loop. Coolant does not exceed 34 celcius during the sim.

Graphic card is RTX 3070 founders edition.

16gb of 3200 corsair RGB Pro ram.

If i upscale to 1.5 it stutters when moving the headset in the cockpit but sure is clearer. I can only go up to 1.3.

Now I just need to order custom prescription lenses for the Quest 2. Getting tired of my glasses in the headset.

Do you mean by render resolution in Oculus PC app?

In the Oculus debug tool. I think it is the same though but the debug tool will override whatever scaling you have in the Oculus App. Since my post though I have been playing around and changed it back to 1.5 and lowered the sim VR scaliing settings to 90.

I am finding out the scaling slider setting in the MSFS2020 VR has a big impact on performance. By lowering it just by 10 I was no longer getting bad stutters when moving around looking at the instrument dash.

Hello,

I have vd and the ms store msfs2020 Version.

steam vr its working and the game is in vr

but my Problem is i cant change the Head Position because the complete Desktop its change the Position the complete Cockpit change the Position with my Head

I dont know why that.

everywhere have a Resolution for me?

Pls help me

Sorry for my Bad English im German.

with link its working but the result its not really Good its ok but i want to test with vd if its better than link

If you haven’t tried this already and if your running an Nvidia card, go to the Nvidia control panel and the last option in the graphics settings is Vsync. Set that to Fast. It’s currently a work around alot of us are using until the issue gets fixed. Without that, I had the same experience you are having, ASW not working. Mine is smooth even on the 18fps setting. I have been running 30 most of the time with a GTX 1070, PD at 1.1 and in game resolution at 70%.

1 Like

ok

I have the corect Word for my Problem.
the headtracking its with vd not working.

with link its working.