Quest 2 users that have moved to Reverb G2 - Feedback

Hi,

The question I would like to ask (advice):

For those Quest 2 users that have moved to Reverb G2, did you get a better or worse experience?

I am keen to get feedback on users that have a RTX 3070 or lower GFX card.

In your response could you provide insight on the following:
CPU
GPU
RAM
Headset
Typical frame rates
Any stand out configuration/s that gave you the best experience

If you are a G2 user that had migrated the other way i.e to Quest 2 or have insight on both, it would be great to hear from you as well.

1 Like

Once set up properly they are all roughly the same. Q2 VD and Airlink are super special but the G2 has slightly richer colours. If you have money to spend go for it, if your on a budget don’t waste it chasing some nirvana that is simply not there. VR is awesome and once your used to it’s awesomeness you go looking for better but there’s only 5% separating the top headsets so unless your a YouTube Influenza:-) You’ll just lose money chasing something that does not exist.

4 Likes

I now use G2 for MSFS and still own Q2 for games like Half Life: Alyx for it’s Air Link. Q2 is easier on the graphic card, but G2’s clarity is much much better, even at lower rendering scale.

2 Likes

I have both a Quest 2 and a G2. It’s a noticable difference. The wide FOV of the Quest 2 is nice, but the clarity just isn’t there.

Especially if you’re an IFR kinda guy or gal, the G2 makes everything in the cockpit readable for me. It’s the way to go.

Some of the downsides for me is that the stock G2 has a noticeably smaller sweet spot and FOV than the Quest 2. Antidotal, but it feels to me as if the G2 runs hotter on my head/face than the Quest 2.

I was able to overcome the FOV and sweet spot issue on the G2 using my 3D printer to print a replacement gasket that brings the lenses closer to your eyes. If you don’t have a 3D printer, there’s a guy selling his design out there, including the magnets, velcro, replacement pads, etc. for a reasonable price. It makes a big difference on the G2.

5 Likes

@fizz306 thank you for the response. This was the type of info I was interested in.

I feel that I have pushed the limits of what my Q2 can do on my setup and wondered if it would be considerable benefit to move to G2

it also depends on which gpu you have. if you have an AMD GPU, forget about G2, that combination is plagued with ctd issues in MSFS.

I have an AMD system an had the incompatibility issues with the G2. Drove me nuts. Tried everything for over a week, including installing a standalone USB card. What fixed it was updating the Bios on my motherboard. No issues since.

By the looks of things when we get these new performance optimisations at the end of July from Asobo we’ll be able to push all these headsets that little bit further and still get decent frame rates.

I’m a Quest 2 user with a decent PC (RTX3080, 5600X) and I was looking at upgrading to a G2. I really only got the Quest 2 back at the start of the year because the G2 just wasn’t available anywhere, and is still quite hard to find by the looks of things. I’ve decided not to upgrade now though. I’d rather do it when there’s a bigger jump in performance. There are rumours of a Quest Pro coming out early next year so I’ll wait and see what that brings.

1 Like

that’s good news, at least you found a fix. i have a z370 mb, and my bios is the latest already.

Quest line will never get the clarity of G2 since they rely on gpu to encode h.264/265 on the fly in order to send images over usb or wifi.

Hello everybody,

I don’t want to open a new topic, that’s why I’m writing here. I’m planning to buy an Oculus Quest 2. Question is my system sufficient to play it in a reasonably good quality? I have an Intel I7 9700, RTX2060, 32GB Ram and the game is stored on an SSD. I think my system is too weak for an HP Reverb G2.

@CrashA1 Hey,

I have a 10700k and a 3070 and get a pretty ok experience. Things have definitely improved in the last week with the latest nvidia driver 471.11. We are also about a month away from a possible bump in performance for the Sim.

I feel that with your setup you will still be able to play in VR with it but at a further reduced quality than what I have. If you like Garmin screens over steam gauges I think you will get a little frustrated with blurry view. If you prefer the steam gauges you’ll be fine.

All in all the quest 2 is an awesome headset. So even if you don’t get the enjoyment for msfs you will love all the other oculus games and things you can do with it.

At the moment I prefer to fly with the TBM930.
As long as I can see everything to some extent and it runs smoothly, that would be great. do you think this could work with my system and the oculus?

I don’t want to steer you down the wrong path.

Your gonna have to search through all the quest 2 optimisation posts and find people that have your similar set up and PM them.

Hopefully someone with your specs can provide input on this thread.

Amd and G2 folks having issues, try using an intermediate USB hub. I had many problems getting my g2 to work and they were solved by just using a simple usb hub from Amazon that, I suppose, was better at managing the power than the garbage mobo. Hth.

I have a Quest 2 and haven’t tried a G2. I did buy a Vive Pro 2 however, and that got returned quickly. I was massively underwhelmed by that headset, I would have chosen the Quest 2 even had they been priced the same.

Right now I have a high-end PC with a 10850k and a 3090 and a decent flight sim rig so I’m looking for the best PCVR experience. The Quest 2’s link capabilites have improved so much in recent updates however that it makes the current gen of dedicated PCVR headsets rather unappealing as upgrades.

For the OP looking for advice to use with a GPU of 3070 or lower, I would say you can boost your VR experience more with a better GPU than through buying a better headset. It’s really important to have the right GPU to drive your headset.

Because we view VR headsets through curved lenses the screens suffer from geometric distortion, known as barrel distortion. Essentially it results in the image being subsampled in the centre, less pixels are being rendered than are physicall present on the panel, resulting in a less than stellar image.

To get the best out of a VR headset you shouldn’t be running it at its native panel resolution, but rather its proper render resolution, For the Quest 2, it’s panel resolution is 3664 x 1920. It looks like ■■■■■■■ at this resolution, barely as good as a Rift S. Now, it’s barrel corrected render resolution is 5408 x 2736. This is resolution you should be running it at for maximum affect. On a 3090 running at this resolution, it looks incredibly sharp, it’s a headset upgrade in itself.

If you already have a Quest 2 I’d stick with that and work on improving your PC to get the most out of it. If you buy a G2 and only have a 3070 or lower you can’t even run that headset at is panel resolution, so you’re losiong the benefits of owning it in the first place.

Most people rocking 1080s and 2070s know not to buy a 4K monitor as they can barely run at 1440p but still make the mistake of buying VR headsets, that are far more demanding than 4K to run and then turning the resolution right down to make it playable, not realising that had they spent the money on the graphics card they can get the performance they want out of their exisiting headset, plus have a valuable upgrade that benefits their entire computer and will work with future headsets too.

TLDR IF you don’t have a 4K capable GPU 3090 or 3080 as a minimum, you’re wasting money buying 4k headsets in the same way you’d be wasting money buying a 4k monitor.

The best upgrade to your VR experience comes from having a PC capable of running your existing VR headset to its maximum potential.

8 Likes

An update to my opinions having just bought a Reverb G2. This is based on tonight’s first impressions only, having used it for a couple hours. As you can see from my post above I have a Quest 2, 10850k and 3090 and previously tried and returned the Vive Pro 2.

G2 First impressions versus Quest 2

VISUALS

G2 has great clarity, noticeably sharper than the Quest 2 in the centre, with slightly better colours too. MSFS looks far sharper and clearer in the distance.

FOV out of the box is terrible, lower than the Rift S, and about 25% less than my Quest 2. Note I am using a VRCover facial interface with their minimal foam pad, newly released, which really maximises the Quest 2 FOV, whereas I’m still using the G2 with the face gasket that came with it, so I’m hopeful of seeing improvements with G2 face mods. I think the gasket is a major part of the problem here, it’s huge in terms of how far it protrudes, and also really narrow so your face can’t get right into it.

I prefer the lenses on the Quest 2. Much better sweet spot, much better edge to edge clarity. This might be due in part to the fact that the G2 is so clear in the centre, the deterioration around the edges is more noticeable.

TIE but might lean to G2 with better FOV. Colours and centre clarity are a lot better on G2, FOV, sweet spot, edge to edge clarity much better on Quest 2. I’m not sure which I prefer at present although if I can get a bigger FOV out of the G2 that will decisively swing the overall visual appeal in its favour, the centre clarity really is fantastic.

AUDIO

This disappointed me a bit. I have heard so much about Valve’s over the ear speakers over the last couple years I was super excited to hear them. Very underwhelming. Clearly better than the Quest 2 strap audio, but not as good as the Quest 2 with £15 earphones plugged in. They are decent for MSFS but I tried Beat Saber and that sounds better on my Quest with earphones. In future I’d rather headsets just came with an audio jack only as if this is the best sound they can make, I’d rather they not bother and knock the money off the headset instead.

TIE - G2 better audio from headset, but not as good as audio on Quest 2 with earphones.

COMFORT

This is difficult as I have a heavily modded Quest 2 with the elite strap, VRCover facial interface and VRCover rear pad for the elite strap. Currently I find the Quest more comfortable but I think the horrible gasket on the G2 plays a part so once I fix that the G2 might have better comfort.

TIE - Quest 2 currently with its mods, G2 might pull away here with facial interface replacement…

CONTROLLERS

Quest 2 much better, The G2 ones are ■■■■, light up like disco lights, very front heavy because of the giant halos you need to wear the straps in case they fall forwards out of your hands. No haptic feedback that I could notice. Way prefer my Quest 2 ones.

Quest 2 wins for controllers.

TRACKING

Quest 2 obviously better but I haven’t run into any problems with the G2 yet. I obviously won’t ultimately care about this anyway as I bought the headset for MSFS and am happy to use the Quest 2 for everything else.

Quest 2 wins for tracking.

EARLY CONCLUSION

As an overall PCVR headset, the Quest 2 wins hands down. The controllers and tracking are better which is important for room-scale and active games. The lenses are nicer, with a larger FOV, although this might change when I mod the G2.

The G2 audio is overrated. It’s nice but no better than putting in earphones, although it does save you that step.

WILL I KEEP IT?

At the moment I’m not sure. It really does have great clarity, and if I can improve the FOV it will be better for MSFS which is why I bought it. If I could only have one it would be the Quest 2 hands down, but the G2 might turn out to be great for the niche of flight and racing simulation. If I can mod the FOV and improve it, I will likely be happy.

Also, it’s MUCH better than the Vive Pro 2. The clarity is so much better than that crappy headset.

4 Likes

Thank you for keeping this thread up to date and your insight.

Another update after a 2 hour flight. I went from Exeter Airport to the Scilly Isles, with touch and go landings at Salcombe, Perranporth and St Just so I’ve now had a decent chance to see what it’s like.

The clarity is exceptional. I didn’t appreciate it at first as I was focused on the cockpit where the main thing I notice is less FOV. But the distant horizon looks super sharp in the G2. Distant towns and cities are now clearly made up distinct buildings rather than just a mess of pixels, and from 3000 feet fields look practically photorealistic. I have to say the clarity surpasses my expectations.

FOV and comfort are bad, my face is stinging now after two hours. I think a large part of this is due to the face gasket. It’s horrible, protruding too far to get close to the lenses and really narrow so that it pinches your face. I don’t like the foam like material either. Why do all headset manufacturers choose to make their headsets sweat sponges?

If I can improve the FOV anc comfort I will definitely be happy with the headset and will keep it for MSFS. I still don’t like it for roomscale type games. The cord is really thick and heavy, the controllers are a bit ■■■■ and the tracking, whilst not terrible is worse than the Quest 2.

Performance is slightly worse in MSFS for me currently compared to Quest 2, the cockpit is quite jittery, I’m brand new to the headset however so expect that I’ll be able to optmise the settings.

Overall, if the FOV can be improved then I’d say this is the best headset for MSFS and sims in general, providing you have the GPU power to run it.

I prefer the Quest 2 overall, it’s excellent inside out tracking and controllers, plus wireless PCVR capability make it a fanastic all around PCVR headset, and when you factor in its standalone capabilities its an essential headset.

If you have a Quest 2 already, and just want to get the best MSFS experience possible I’d say this is a decent choice, although if you’ve currently got a Quest 2 and an old card like a 2070 or 1080Ti I’d rather put the money into a GPU upgrade. You can get a great experience out of the Quest 2 with a 3080 or 3090, and you’d need one of those GPU’s to make the most out of a G2 as well, so get a GPU upgrade over buying a G2 if you don’t have at least a 3080 already.

That’s my thoughts so far. Will update throughout the next few days…

1 Like

Keep going, as I said in my first post to you you’ll get your 5% improvement if you keep chipping away at settings for a few weeks. Hope it’s worth it :slight_smile: