Quest 2 - VR is smooth until toggling it off and back on

Through various tips and tricks shared here, I have been able to get VR performing relatively well on the Quest 2 via Oculus Link (30Hz, ASW off, HAGS off, Vertical Sync in Nvidia control panel set to fast - 3080 GPU, Intel 10700k CPU, 32GB Ram, M2 SSD), but one issue I have been unable to resolve is that the great experience only lasts for the first entry into VR, and then too, only if VR is toggled on before the flight is loaded (i.e. from the main menu). If VR toggled off and then toggled on, or only toggled on after the flight has loaded, VR is usually an unflyable slide show. I say usually because there have been times when that is not the case, but I have been unable to isolate the specific conditions that allow the experience to be smooth outside of the first run with VR started before the flight loads.

Perhaps a relevant observation: when my headset is on, I can peek at the monitor and see the VR FOV rendering on the monitor is a slideshow, but as soon as the headset is away from my face, even though VR mode is enabled, the FOV rendered on the monitor ceases to be a slideshow and becomes smooth again.

Surely this is a bug, but I am hoping there is a work around someone here is aware of so I can switch in and out of VR as needed during longer flights.

1 Like

Happy new year!! Same here… Hope someone finds a work around

I don’t have that problem on my Q2, but some do, clearly.

It’s obviously buggy software - no surprises there!

@YearlingDeer319, could you share what your hardware and settings configuration, as well as your typical flow for getting into and out of VR is? I am hoping if you and any others who are not seeing this issue can describe what is working for you, those of us who are having issues might be able to spot something that we are doing differently.

Some more findings. I tried turning the quest automatic sleep timer to 15 minutes to see if the Quest going to sleep between VR sessions was the issue - sadly it did not make a difference.

I also turned on the performance HUD through OculusTrayTool, and through that I noticed that in the first, smooth, VR session, the compositor hardly ever drops any frames. In the subsequent slide show VR sessions, it is constantly dropping frames - the compositor dropped frame counter is rapidly increasing all the time. So it seems likely that the compositor is the culprit - I don’t know enough to understand if this is something Asobo or Oculus needs to fix.

I’m having the exact same issues with my Oculus Quest 2 via Link Cable.

can you share your settings in oculus graphic preferences(render resolution),do you change pixel per density in oculusdebug tool?And last your render resolution in flight simulator.Thnx

Try the alt+tab trick to tab out of FS when you’re in the sim. This works for me and gets my smoother FPS. You have to do it each time you make in changes to the sim in flight. Its a weird bug but the alt+tab thing works for me with the Quest 2

It could be related to the driver issues that everyone seems to be having in VR with the 3000 series cards that Nvidia has acknowledged, but still hasn’t fixed. I’ve been seeing some big slowdowns with the latest Nvidia driver that I was testing just to see if it had any performance difference (I have a 1080Ti). Prior to that I’d been using 446.14 which was pretty consistent and stable, but it’s not compatible with your 3000-series card. Unfortunately all of the drivers for the 3000 series cards apparently have frame drop issues in VR and Nvidia has yet to fix it.

Regarding the compositor dropping frames counter on the performance overlay, that happens any time the app frame rate can’t keep up with the headset’s refresh rate. That can be from simply having the settings too high, or a driver problem, or a software issue…

Thanks for the idea on ALT TAB, @Mobias7, but it doesn’t resolve the problem for me.

I’m having these issues with my GTX 1660 Ti, so this is not only a problem with the 3000 series cards, unfortunately.

For yours, try driver 446.14 if you haven’t already. Should work with your 1660 I think.

It looks like there is a bug for this issue here: Switching from VR to Monitor View results in FPS breakdown

Please upvote so Asobo looks into it.

3 Likes

Thanks, @SwirlyMaple7, I’ll give that a shot!

Just upvoted. Thanks for pointing out that post.

1 Like

@SubsonicEmu8, let us know if you find that the older drivers resolve the issue. While it won’t help those of us with RTX 30 series cards, it might help Asobo/Oculus/Nvidia figure out the root cause.

Having that also with my G2 with 3090 without steam and with WMR

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.