Quest 2 with Virtual Desktop Getting Rhythmic Stutter

I’m experimenting with doing the Virtual Desktop app connection and I’m getting a much better VR connection. Most of the head movement issue are gone. However, about every 30 to 60 seconds I get a double pop stutter, even when still. It keeps solid rhythm.

Windows 11 (as I know there are reported issues with the Oculus Desktop)

PC is hardwired to the AP. AP is 802.11 AX and can hold a solid 1 to 1.2 Gbps download.

I’ve kept settings on all apps at the recommended defaults for now.

I think this may be more an audio issue. I switched audio over to my Bose headset and the audio stutter is gone.

I saw no obvious video stutter. But I will say audio stutters are way worse than video stutters.

you should really link it via USB 3 for best performance. I’ve messed around with VD, Airlink and they work just ‘fine’. I’m sitting down anyway so the cable is no big deal. Plus, you’ll get rid of the constant ‘hiccups’ coming from the occasional latency bumps in the wireless connection.

I would like to, but the link cable for me is much worse. From what I read, there is a driver issue with Windows 11.

It could also be the USB-C card I got. But people report it works great with the Oculus 2.

Interesting. Are you running the Oculus App with the Beta selected?

No beta, unless that may be a fix?

I have Oculus desktop app open. Virtual Desktop seems to want Steam VR. So that is running but I disable the Steam Home as that seemed to conflict for resources with the sim when switching.

I have the Virtual Desktop dialed down to low and 60 Hz refresh. But that audio cut seems to happen no matter what. I also maxed out the bandwidth. I have plenty available for that wifi connection. I’ve tested sustained downloads of 1.2 Gbps over it. VD also has an audio checkbox option but it doesn’t change anything

The audio stutter is probably every 20 to 30 seconds. If a video frame drops too I don’t notice it.

While the Bose headset works as a solution, I like having the open ear sound from the Quest.

I would try and enable Beta for the Oculus App as they may have addressed the issue(s) with Win11 from within that branch.

I know Valve/Steam was making SteamVR more Oculus friendly in the past weeks but not really sure in what context. Personally, I find wireless VR serves its purpose for games which require room scale (BeatSaber, tennis, Phasmophobia, etc…) but for sims requiring you to sit down like Dirt, Assetto, MSFS, AeroFly, I really like the improved performance of the conventional link cable.

Hopefully you can get it to run the way you like… sorry if I can’t provide additional help.

1 Like

I appreciate the help!

I was reading the Windows 11 fixes were not in the beta channel yet. But I can give it a try.

After nearly having a nervous breakdown trying to get it all to work, it finally seems to be working great, besides the audio problem!

I keep bumping up settings and haven’t taken a hit yet.

A big help was disabling the Steam Home as that just brought everything to a crawl while the sim was also running.

I solved the issue by doing the Oculus debug console window fix. But that has deepened the mystery for me.

I’m running Virtual Desktop and Steam VR. I wouldn’t expect the Oculus runtime to fix the issue.

I tried the link cable with the Oculus Windows 11 fix and still had issues with stuttering and also issues with screen tearing.

I tried doing the Oculus Air Link but had issue getting MSFS to get back into VR mode. Figured a reboot was in order.

Virtual Desktop seems to work the most reliably for me in my experience so far. I’m just concerned about why the link cable is such a problem. (but a different issue).

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.