Question about Aerosoft CRJ

Hello fellow simmers!
I am currently thinking about getting CRJ. Just not sure if it is plane for me. I do not want use SimBrief and Navigraph for flight plan creation so is it possible to just plan flight via MSFS planner and then write down each waypoints and then later enter them via CRJ FMC? I understand as both nav databases are not equal sometimes some waypoints will be missing, that’s ok for me. Is it possible to use CRJ like that?

Also how it works in CRJ if you import FP from SimBrief with ingame ATC? You will still get IFR flight following like with MSFS flight plan or game ATC doesn’t know anything about your CRJ entered FP? You have to create similar FP in MSFS and let it run side by side with CRJ FP?

Thanks for answers and sorry if my questions sounds silly, I am just unsure and want to know before buy if I will be able to use plane properly without SimBrief.

You can type manually your flight plan on the MCDU, sure. On the pad you can configure your weight and balance too and import into FMS

Simbrief plan import is more a way to save time.

Can’t answer for ATC. I fly without

1 Like

The simBrief downloader will download your flightplan: one version into the CRJ, one version into FS2020. Like that, ATC will know your route and it kind of works. But be prepared to have different altitude instructions from ATC, compared to what your flightplan says.

Another problem is that SimBrief plans evertything, including the runway for landing (I think, based on real weather). Sometimes, ATC assignes you a different approach and runway for landing, so you have to reconfigure the FMC and the Navigraph Chart (if you use Navigraph). That makes for some hectic moments during the last part or your flight. But I heard that also happens quite often iRL, so I usually accept the challenge :slight_smile:

A good way to get the news on the runway in use early on is to tune into ATIS of the arrival airport. That gives you 50 - 80 miles to do the re-configuration.

Like everything, it is a question of practice - over time you get more efficient at pressing all those buttons…

1 Like

Why? 12345

Thanks for answers It will help me a lot to decide.

@KevyKevTPA because I want just use ingame stuff for now.

You do not need SimBrief or Navigraph. Use the built-in stock flight planner. It will set up your route, waypoints, Sids, Stars, runways, etc. You can change or modify most things, but not speeds or waypoints excepting you can delete or add waypoints if you chose. I find the stock flight planner easy to use and no hassle. Also, it stores your flight plan into the a/c FMS–you do not need to write down frequencies, its all in there. I tried SimBrief and Navigraph both. I no longer use them. If you haven’t noticed, the built-in VFR map is of some use, It is pretty limited for an aviation chart but does offer a little help.

You don’t need SimBrief or Navigraph, but you should also mention that using this option means manually entering the flight plan into the FMC. Some people may not be comfortable with that.

Using the built-in flight planner doesn’t automatically store the flight plan into the FMC.

1 Like

Mdapol, I don’t know what to say. The built-in flght planner always stores the flight plan it creates into the FMC of whatever a/c I am using–A320 Neo, A330-300, Cessna Longitude and CRJ.

It’s never saved the flight plan to the CRJ for me. Are you loading the flight plan into the FMC of the CRJ?

Which version of the CRJ are you using?

Have to get back to you on that. Only had the CRJ a couple days. I assumed the stock flight planner was loading into the a/c because it defiantly does for the other a/c I mentioned. Maybe it does not in the CRJ.

You are right–the CRJ won’t accept the stock flight plan. Bummer. Sorry I bought it.

The (pretty awful) in game flight plans will show up on the nav map and in addons like the pop-up gtn750 but are simply not going to work with the FMS in the CRJ.

You can of course manually enter the plan in the FMS, it only takes a few minutes at most and is what most real life pilots would have to do anyway.

To be honest the fully functional FMS is the main reason to buy the CRJ, it is a bit odd to buy it and then want to just run the default flight plans, why not just fly the CJ4 or the modded Longitude in that case ?

If people are unsure about the CRJ please watch the entire tutorial series by “Dude” so you know what you are getting into before you purchase:

4 Likes

It’s junk. Always an issue with it. Save your money.

2 Likes

A great airline aircraft, recommended.

4 Likes

Love the CRJ, one of the best plane currently available.

4 Likes

Hi Mortthe2nd,

Thinking of buying it. How is the performance affected by this bird?
Are there still issues regarding flightplanning via the mcdu and the auto pilot?

Cheers Mark

Hi Mark,

runs great for me, Performance wise I would guess it to be similar to the FBW A32NX if you want to compare to something.
Entering the flight plan manually works wonderfully for me, no issues. You can import Simbrief flightplans as well, but since I normally fly short routes, I just program it manually.
Keep in mind you need a Navigraph or Aerosoft nav data subscription to keep the AIRAC for the CRJ up to date. It does not hook into the MSFS database due to them using custom navigation code.

Autopilot generally works like a charm. It does holds and go-arounds automatically, and the advisory vnav is spot on. Only thing that occasionally happens for me is that it sometimes (it’s rare though) has trouble with turns in the route, especially with a stiff tail wind. If this happens I just go to heading mode for a minute to let it settle down, and go back to nav mode afterwards. Always gets it on track again.

3 Likes

Thx for the info. I’ll wait to buy the CRJ until this works.

Very much doubt it will ever work. It is not a bug it is meant to be that way.

The unique thing about the CRJ is the realistic FMS.

3 Likes

from what I understand it’s that the MSFS navdata database is simply not available for custom coded FMS/nav systems right now. I believe Mathijs over at Aerosoft has mentioned that if/when this becomes available / possible, they want to add it.