Question about RAM upgrade

Greetings,

are there any special settings that must be made in the UEFI BIOS before adding two more sticks of RAM?
It is impossible to run Photoshop and other sophisticated programs with only 16GB, crashes happen very often while Photoshop never crashed with the G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB - it was necessary to upgrade to 32GB.

The RAM are two different 16GB kits, one kit of T-Force Dark Pro 8Pack 16GB 3600MHz CL16 and one T-Force Dark Pro 16GB 3200MHz CL14 kit.

Both will run with the Ryzen Zen 1 limit of 2933MHz with CL10 and 2,46 volts.
This RAM is very rare and allegedly the best overclocker RAM out there… I was not able to get the same kit a second time, but a slightly different one. :slight_smile:

Ehm another question… The Corsair RMi 550 watts power unit had no problems running a ASUS Dual Radeon 5700 Extreme Overclock Edition, but I know that GeForce cards have a significant higher power draw.
Will a 550 watts PSU be sufficient to run a GeForce 2060 - or is a new PSU necessary?
Will a graphics card or the mainboard getting damaged when using a too weak PSU? Because I would rather first try it first before spending another €150 for a new PSU. :slight_smile:

Most certainly it can, and storage devices as well.
Some boards will take that, and just shut down, but continued use will probably lead to issues.
The PSU is actually every bit as important as a new card.
Check the specs out on the NVidia site and see what the power draw difference is.

Nothing would need to be enabled in the BIOS for adding more memory, but you should be aware that having memory with both 3600MHz and 3200MHz will cause all memory to only run at 3200MHz (the slowest speed is always used).

2 Likes

It is best to have all memory the same and most memory needs to run XMP on to use it’s stated speed. Mixing 3600 (1800 ) and 3200 (1600 ) you may not be able to xmp to even run at 3200 stable and would thus only run at stock speeds of 1066.

If you can afford it, buy a matched set of 32gb 4x8 or 2 x16. Consider going to 64 for your graphics programs.

1 Like

I’m currently running an RTX 2060 Super on a 500W PSU without any issues.

This system has an I7-10700, 32GB RAM in two strips, a Samsung 970 EVO Plus and a WD 1TB drive.

So, 550 Watts is plenty.

1 Like

One should never use XMP because this leads to the end of RAM warranty. :wink:

And the RAM XMP settings are not compatible to Ryzen CPUs.
The XMP settings are specified with 3600MHz CL14, but my Ryzen Zen 1 is limited to 2666MHz max RAM clock, and Ryzen Zen 2 and 3 are limited to 3200MHz.
I have tried higher, but it severly overheats even with a modified AMD Wraith Spire RGB and a Wraith Prism cooler, and won´t boot anymore until BIOS reset.

That´s why I use 2666MHz only with sharp CL11 or CL10 timings and never exceed these settings anymore as long as no Ryzen Zen 3 is put into the slot :slight_smile:

PERFECT that´s good to hear!
Some Igor´s lab videos showed that GeForce cards tend to have 300 watt power draw spikes, and all MoneyTubers need 2000 watt PSUs more expensive than my whole computer - but my system with the current Ryzen 5 2400G is not using more than 100 watts so that should be no problem running a graphics card that consumes 175 watts of power.

Even my Radeon 5700 OC had spikes with 209 watts but normally she was only eating ~150 watts in games like Resident Evil 2, and waaaay less in other games (as long as a frame limiter with 60 FPS was active and overclocking settings deactivated) - mostly it was only 89 watts on 1920x1080.

It´s currently a tight race between the XFX Radeon 6600 8GB vs. GeForce 2600 12GB and the Eagle (various versions or Radeon 6500 or 6600 and GeForce 2060 and 3050 with 2 or 3 fans and 8 GB VRAM)…

Almost the same Asus Dual design my Radeon 5700 OC had, stylish visible heatpipes and very futuristic shaped:

The XFX Speedster SWFT, finally available for normal prices:

And the Gigabyte Eagle with three fans, this is the most silent one:

Maybe another surprise competitor will show up :slight_smile: but these three designs are the most beautyful looking graphics cards with sufficient VRAM, and all of them come with RTX available for Tomb Raider, Control, and other finest games.

Ah my precious - impatiently waiting to be upgraded :smiley:

As mentioned by others, your computer will run as fast as the lowest performing module. You will not get 3600mhz out of all four sticks. But you do not need to adjust anything in the BIOS. Plug n Play.

For the PSU questions: The recommended wattage listed on GPUs is based on a certain level of load. Most of the time, a PSU will barely come close to the recommended wattages for a GPU. You have to be doing some pretty crazy stuff to max out the power requirements on a GPU and FS2020 by itself is no where near crazy enough. Running FS2020 while rendering in photoshop while there’s 99 tabs of Youtube playing all at once, you might run into some problems. This being said, I generally recommend no less than 750w Gold minimum for a modern gaming PC. However, your current PSU should be okay so long as you don’t try any crypto mining, OC your graphics card or run 12 different resource intensive applications at the same time

I’m not sure this is entirely true. AMD currently supports XMP on Ryzen CPU’s, however they will be moving towards their own branded standard when DDR5 support arrives on their next gen sockets (AM5).

I currently run a Ryzen 9 5950X and have XMP enabled without issue.

As for the warranty question, that’s a matter of the manufacturer proving XMP was enabled in the first place. (He said / She Said).

Never heard of such card, it is bot a GeForce. There is the RTX 2060 Super with 8GB VRAM maybe that is what you where thinking at the time.

I’m building a new PC and went with an Corsair RM850x PSU just to know that I can throw just about anything at it.

It will be powering an RTX 3080ti and it’s all gaming rated everything, but just for the Flight Simulator. I don’t play any games.

On rare occasions, I also do a little DCS or xPlane.

yeah. you’ll be fine. the only reason anyone should be buying any more than 850-900 is if they’re gonna dabble in crypto…

1 Like

Yea, some people into crypto usually put two high powered graphic cards and would need over 1000 Watts and lots of cooling :slight_smile:

Unfortunately that was not possible to get in 2020. I had to wait 3 months for a 550 watts PSU :slight_smile: everything else that was available on Amazon Alternate Caseking and Media Markt was useless 200 to 350 watts stuff. There was a severe PSU shortage in 2020.

Just a littly typo :wink: I found a GeForce 2060 with 12 GB of GDDR6 VRAM - the strongest competitors now are the ASUS Dual GeForce RTX2060 O12G Evo with 12288MB VRAM, versus the XFX Merc308 Radeon 6600 XT with 8GB of VRAM.
Both cards are equally strong and it only comes to a matter of visual taste… which one would look better in my PC case.
The GeForce will probably have better special feature support in games like Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Control and other. (Raytracing, Tress Hair FX, DLSS and so on…)

The Merc308 has a more beautyful and interesting illumination (an illuminated RADEON label that fits perfect to the AMD logo) but the RTX2060 has more feature support and more VRAM.

Running a GeForce should have a more powerful PSU because of the ampere spikes. Otherwise the PC might shut off.
Oh and thou shalt give Elden Ring a try :wink: or a Sherlock Holmes game, Jean-Luc and Data always liked detective games on the holodeck…

New machine here and I was worried about the PSU from the outset. A good and capable PSU is one thing, but with PC technology levels nowadays and looking dimly into even the near future, it a really good area to overspec. where you can.

Much of my own machine is Corsair and wanting it to last, I ended up choosing the 1000.

I also have a lot of Corsair on my build. The case, PSU, RAM, CPU Cooler and all the fans.

Wow, 1000 give you tons of room to grow. I got the 850.

I have several software monitors that came with the motherboard (ASUS) and Corsair cooler that monitors all kinds of stuff, like temperatures of all kinds of areas of overall systems, voltages, fans speeds.

I will see if there is one that will tell me how much power, or watts I’m using overall. I should be okay with the 850. I really don’t want to have to change it. I’m almost done. I just need o mount the CPU cooler and tuck away all the cable in the back.

I already have the sim installed :slight_smile:

Oh, and yes the GPU is literally MMs away from one of the radiator fans for the CPU cooler.

Intel now offers a new stock cooler that looks more fancy and stylish. You should buy this to enhance the visuals of your casemod.

And I always wanted a ROG-Strix mainboard with LCD display boot codes instead of just boot LEDs. These red codes look so techy behind the black tempered glass! But building an Intel/Nvidia rig was always too expensive for me, but luckily the GeForce 2060 has finally become affordable now. FINALLY RTX always on! :smiley: (soon. very soon.)

Is this a RTX 2080 Founders Edition?

(Special tip: Never plug a front USB 3.2 cable fully into the mainboard - or you will rip the socket off the mainboard. YouTube and Reddit is full with users who were not able to unplug the USB 3 connector. Luckily I managed to unplug it after an hour of wiggling the last time I removed the mainboard and never fully plugged it in again to prevent this from ever happening again). USB3 is the most sh!tty connector ever made. That´s why it is not fully plugged in which can be clearly seen on the picture, there is a deeper meaning behind that *ggg
But the rest of the actual gen Intel and AMD mainboards are very stable, only a live BIOS update can go wrong.

I know that this 128GB Intenso is ridiculous but I keep this SSD for nostalgic reasons. It was the first SSD I ever had since 2015 and it still functions perfectly with 96% health status.

Having not enough space for even mid-sized graphics card? I recommend the Corsair Obsidian 500D case with two tempered glass doors on both sides :slight_smile:

The Fractal Design cases and the Obsidian500 are the most beautyful cases.

Excellent! I would recommend 32GB RAM always. The computer behaviour already feels faster and more responsive with programs running plus having various browser tabs and YouTube tabs with long high quality videos open :slight_smile: