Question for the real world pilots here

Take a chill :pill: captain happy. It has nothing to do with being “gods gift to aviation” or something. I agree with @PZL104 posts, if there is already doubt then its probably not a good idea to pursue a career in aviation or at least think about it twice (or more).

If you are not 200% sure about pursuing a career in aviation, then don’t do it is my advise. A career in aviation is first of all a big investment in time and money, after which the actual learning starts. You’ll be studying your whole career and constantly your performance is being tested. In US you’ll need to scrape together 1500 hrs total time somehow before going to the regionals. Every crisis aviation is hit the first and recovers last so not that stable either. If you are already in doubt and think that flight simming might satisfy your needs then I don’t think its a good idea to pursue a career in aviation. You need to be absolutely sure and be 200% motivated. I’m not trying to paint a dark picture but you need to take all these things into consideration to make a sound decision its not always as fun as it seems.

For me it’s like this: I really love flying but I don’t like aviation. With aviation I mean the industry, the politics, the instability, the thin margins etc. it can be really toxic. For me personally the good moments make up for the bad ones and I can’t imagine using a simulator as a replacement for that. Flight simulators (even level D sims) are so different from the real thing. Its hard to compare the two. The visuals are coming pretty close with MSFS the rest not so much, the sensation of flying is missing, the stress and adrenaline in certain situations, even a Level D FFS can’t replicate that 100%.

Real world is so much more dynamic, a lot of variables are simply missing in a sim. Being an commercial pilot is all about managing, managing the automation, energy and flight path management, managing aircraft systems and more importantly dealing with people: passengers, cabin crew, ground crew, refueling, engineers, planning etc. Its all about managing those resources effectively, good CRM and so on. The environment is more dynamic as well, air traffic, weather, ATC, a simulator can’t simulate all those factors. If gives a kick when things flow as they should, being able to solve all problems and work together efficiently as a team, effective communication, the words coming out of your mouth correctly when communicating to ATC, when you are busy and stressed (in a good way) but not overstressed, its hard to explain. Its not possible to replicate that in a simulator. Being a simulator pilot also has loads of advantages of course, fly whenever and wherever you want, ignore all rules and explore. I certainly understand why it’s more appealing and a better option for some to just fly in MSFS every once in a while. Overall its becoming really close to the real deal visually and its free apart from the initial investment (and then add-ons and joysticks and … :joy:).

On a personal note, I graduated 13 years ago during the financial crisis (started before the crisis hit). After flight school I was washing aircraft, an aircraft owner saw me cleaning aircraft and let me fly his private aircraft (turboprop and jet), in my spare time I was then giving classroom instruction, then became a flight instructor (all the while struggling to pay my bills). Then the flight school I was working for started an airline so I became involved with that, became first officer and later captain, flight ops and ground ops manager and everything in between, in the meantime being promised to fly the spaceshuttle, golden mountains and what not, never happend. I’m now flying for a more professional regional airline. During the pandemic the airline reduced my workload (and pay) in order to survive. Lost a lot of money (which wasn’t that much to begin with :upside_down_face:), moved out of my apartment to live at a cheaper place, sold my car etc. Now having my own company to freelance here and there and working on other projects while waiting for the workload for my main job to increase to pre-COVID levels. I can’t complain really, at least I’m still flying, many of my friends and colleagues aren’t so fortunate. So yeah got screwed and lost loads of money a couple of times :wink:, still don’t regret becoming a pilot. I think it has been (and still is) a more interesting path compared to flying a Boeing 737 or A320 straight after flight school. Especially flying the Jetstream 32 (no flight director, autopilot or FMS) as a captain was a valuable experience.

That’s aviation, doesn’t have to be a struggle of course, but you need to be prepared and willing to accept the risks. It can be a quite long and painful road as it’s a tough industry to work in and easily knocked over in case of a crisis since the margins are razor thin. If you are extremely passionate about flying its totally worth it but 200% motivation is an absolute requirement.

9 Likes