Question on rolling and manual cache

So recently I decided to enable both rolling and manual cache.
I set the rolling to 50 GB, and the Manual to 50 GB.
I started having CTD’s.
I then disabled the Manual, and reset rolling to 32 GB. Still had CTD’s.
I disabled both, and the CTD’s so far have stopped.

Is this behavior experienced by others when setting those on?

2 Likes

When was “recently”? There was a world update (WU6) last week that was supposed to fix a couple of issues causing CTDs.

When did you do that?

Just to know whether or not it could be due to the WU6.

Both were yesterday.

ok, interesting! I haven’t had any CTDs since WU6 with the rolling cache enabled, but might be worth suggesting to those still suffering from CTDs. Have you tried whether just clearing the cache made a difference?

From other posts I think some servers may have been down for a period yesterday. However possibly you have put the cache’s on an external drive that uses an exFAT file system, it must be NTFS. My biggest tip this week is to put your cache’s on your fastest drive or even a ram disk for the rolling one (which btw needs not be too big, 4GB is enough for 1080p)

Yeah pretty sure that is what I did when I reset them? Or is that a different process?

I was talking about two different things:

• clearing/deleting the rolling cache but enabling it again
  • disabling it entirely

From what you wrote I gathered you just disabled it.

That is correct.
Perhaps I should try just the rolling cache again and clear it first? Or it being disabled does that automatically clear it?

normally you can just turn it off but to make sure change it’s path to the same as your system drive, apply and save and then delete without setting a size

Once again you should check the drive you had it on is actually NTFS

It’s worth a try - but there’s no guarantee. Just trying to narrow down the issue, and identify the procedure that solves it on your side.

I don’t really know, I’m just thinking out loud. These would be my steps to identify the exact conditions leading to the CTDs.

Ok will give a try again thanks much for the info. Yep all my drives are NTFS. I have MSFS 2020 installed on my E drive but I know it puts some files on the main C drive.
I will try just working with the rolling cache first and not mess with setting a manual cache.
Edit: Based on viewing my drives when I had it enabled I am pretty sure it was putting the cache on my C system drive.

Ok I have set up the rolling cache again for 32 GB and it is on my system drive by default.
Won’t get a chance to test till later on this afternoon I will advise how it goes.
Thanks for the help.

I’d avoid manual caching unless you have lousy internet. And your rolling cache is far too big. 16GB is plenty.

Ok will do thanks.

I was experiencing persistent CTDs as well AFTER WU6. I deleted my 32GB rolling cache, and replaced it with a clean 16GB rolling cache. Manual cache is completely disabled as I have a 1TB fiber optic internet connection. No more CTDs – for now.

Yes I bought an airport from aerosoft leib
Kept getting CTD was advised by aerosoft to turn off rolling cache and all good now

Thats interesting… I know there are number of people on here who suggest turning it off entirely. I’m not sure how much it’s used with a decent internet.

1 Like

I ran initially with a rolling cache and manual cache set at various sizes. Every time there is an update, you have to clear them anyway, which became a hassle. Then when I realised how much data was being written to my SSD, I decided to run without either and have been doing so with no issues for months. The only difference I have noticed is that loading times sometimes take a little bit longer but nothing massive.

1 Like

Yes I have it all turned off but I have a 300 mbps internet connection so I don’t have to use it

Ok so I now have a rolling cache of 16 GB and Manual Cache is set to off. I used the default path for it which is on the C: drive.
Just did two of the same flights I have been doing all week, with no issue this time.
So maybe this will work now.

Can someone explain to me in layman’s terms, what rolling cache is and why you would want it, and what Manual Cache is ?

Thanks for any feedback, just trying to wrap my head around these two things in the data options.