Question using garmin 3000 Direct-To and Add Enroute Waypoint

How when using Garmin 3000 Direct-To are you able to Add Enroute Waypoint. When I try to do this the display freezes so I’m thinking this is either a bug or I’m not supposed to try to Add Enroute Waypoint when using Direct-To?
Is Direct-To limited from your position to 1 waypoint only?

direct to is limited to one waypoint. if it were for two the second one would be via the first , thus not direct
I use the garmin in the TBM and direct to works fine for me

Yes. Direct to is the only to one waypoint.
The rest should be able to be added normally, and the aircraft will fly to the next waypoint on the route after the direct to.

That’s exactly how Direct To works. If that waypoint is on your existing flight plan, it will then sequence the next waypoint in your plan from there.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone!

N405HT

1h

direct to is limited to one waypoint. if it were for two the second one would be via the first , thus not direct
I use the garmin in the TBM and direct to works fine for me

A few things have been mentioned here…to clarify.
When flying a D-T with no flight plan, the moment I choose a second D-T before the first is finished, the first gets erased and the 2nd becomes the active D-T.

TheSevenflyerRegular

1h

Yes. Direct to is the only to one waypoint.
The rest should be able to be added normally, and the aircraft will fly to the next waypoint on the route after the direct to

I thought with D-T you could not add a second waypoint?

Crunchmeister71

1h

That’s exactly how Direct To works. If that waypoint is on your existing flight plan, it will then sequence the next waypoint in your plan from there.

So are you saying that D-T can be used within an existing flightplan?

It just seems to me there is some contradiction in what is being said within these 3 responses.

Yes, you are correct.
Add the new waypoints to your normal routing.
Then add the direct to.
No, no contradiction, just a lack of clear understanding.
It will go directly to the point you selected to go direct to, and then the AP will follow the normal routing after that using its normal nav mode.

So you are saying that if you have a flight plan already set up, it is possible to insert a D-T and after the D-T is completed it will resume on to the flight plan…correct?

Exactly so!

Thanks…can the flight plan be put together while the plane is flying D-T or must it be done before D-T?

I too fly the TBM 930 with the Garmin 7.6 mod, however when I try and mix D-T with an existing flight plan of vice versa I tend to get map freeze up.

The main flight plan should be made prior to flight.
Changes to it would be made in either the GPS, if that is driving the nav system, or in the Flight Management Computer (MCDU in Airbus speak) in larger aircraft.

I sometimes finish inputting my flight plan mid flight.
I also have found using the standby flight plan allows for doing all this with out conflict…then switch back when finished.

1 Like

Yes, you can direct to any point in your flight plan, not just a manually entered one.

In the sim with default ATC, you won’t encounter that situation. IRL or on Vatsim, you’ll often be cleared direct to a waypoint further into your flight plan or sometimes even to your destination, bypassing most or all of your programmed route.

Or they’ll vector you around busy airspace on takeoff and then tell you to go direct to some waypoint farther down your flight plan, bypassing a lot of what you have in there already. You select that waypoint in your FP, go direct, and once it reaches that point, it will continue to sequence the rest of your flight plan as programmed.

IRL, it’s far more common to have this scenario than to actually fly a full IFR plan exactly as filed.

1 Like

In any case, you shoudl ALWAYS have your full FP entered into your Garmin before even taxiing. The sim’s nav system is fragile. Entering a FP after having started a journey using Direct To could definitely cause issues. The default nav system hates FP changes in flight.

1 Like

Crunchmeister71 thanks for all that info. Based on what you said about IRL, I now understand the need to be able to integrate D-T into an existing FP, makes perfect sense…
Actually I have no issues with either D-T or FP set separately whether set on the ground or inflight. I only had some issues with D-T while having a FP but I’m going to pay more attention to some of what I’ve read here.
What I found challenging sometimes is flying a D-T to an airport and then setting up an approach from the D-T.
Using the stock Garmin 3000 will never freeze the Nav display no matter what I do but the WT7.6 mod which I much prefer can be temper-mental in that respect.

When I choose D-T while flying a flight plan inputted before flight, the FP disappears from the Nav map screen leaving only the D-T magenta line on the Nav screen. Once I over fly the D-T destination, the plane continues flying straight on and the D-T magenta line on the Nav map remains.

Not to be a ****, but just like others have told you, you’re doing it wrong. You insert the flight plan before takeoff. You don’t navigate with direct-to and then enter a flight plan in the air. Ever. That causes you all kinds of sequencing problems, especially on the approaches if you’re trying to do an instrument approach.

You can do it whatever way you want, but it works a whole lot better when you use a method experts like to call “the right way”.

I’ve created FP including approach from the ground and from the air, they work well for me under either circumstance, I don’t have issues there.
You mentioned that setting a D-T while flying a FP will get you back onto the FP once the DT ends but for me the FP disappears from the Nav map never to return under these circumstances.

Actually it doesn’t…applying a D-T to an existing FP will in fact immediately erase the FP.
I’m using the G3000 WT v7.6 TBM930.

Here is a link to the manual.
You should be able to find out why this happens to you with this.