Radical change of course for product development

In theory sim functionality / bug fixing is more important now, however these are different staff to content maintainers. The do not have the skills to get the hands dirty in the code!

I think the next two big updates are Sim updates, so hopefully the sim will be over the curve by then.

2 Likes

That’s the hope here…

1 Like

People love to throw out that there are multiple teams doing different things. That’s not the problem. The problem is with what the community is going through currently and the perception of what Microsoft’s priorities are. The perception will change if the community gets what it wants. A solid SIM, where all the core functions work and especially things that used to work, work again.

9 Likes

I agree with the OP…

I prefer that Asobo focus on fixing what’s already there (stability, performance, AA, LOD, ATC etc) as opposed to adding new content. At this point, I do not care about world updates…

I just want a stable sim to fly in…Lets just focus the resources on “solid” sim updates for the next year or so.

5 Likes

Hi,

Nice to have a ‘big hitter’ coming down firmly on the side of a whole swathe of serious simmers.
Serious simmers who are expressing increasing concern regarding MSobo’s bifurcated
development strategy.

I personally believe that if they get this right, MSFS 2020 really can become all things to
all men [and women].

But, I really hope that MSobo takes your post very seriously.
Because if MSFS chooses not to prioritise and provide for all the features that you, I, and many
others are demanding be implemented as elements integral of a ‘proper’ simulator, then all we
will be left with when the dust settles is just another game!

And we all know how the popularity profile of any game is characterised by a spike followed by
a tapering away into oblivion.
MSobo, you have been warned!

6 Likes

I kind of agree with this, especially as I often hear people say how much better XPlane’s physics are. If you don’t care about scenery then your problem is solved, install XPlane 11.

And we all remember how the community killed Microsoft flight.

6 Likes

Let me tell you a secret: “It isn’t…”

XPlane’s FD is a child’s play compared to what we have now in MSFS. Just that the aircraft maker’s have more experience tuning their stuff in XP than in MSFS. And the XP ecosystem had the time to mature. MSFS is still essentially brand new.

3 Likes

Again: people who build scenery objects and people at Bing who are responsible for the ground imagery most likely have nothing to do with coding the sim, fixing bugs and changing aircraft systems, flight physics or weather engines.

In other words: there is no need to tell the baker to stop doing what he’s doing, just because the plumber has work to do.

11 Likes

Since SU:5 and WU:6, I can see that the sim is on a new path now, giving a break for a while on the new content, focusing directly on the core content.

I’m sure we’ll get a way more polished sim in the upcoming months.

Indeed. Agree with the OP on fixing the known issues first. However, when it does come to WU, before doing detailed PG of a specific area or region, I think Asobo needs to do something to fix the areas of the world without Bing data. It is truly terrible. The generic textures for the non Bing areas are a joke. Worse than FS2000 through FSX, IMHO. In those areas, the low res satellite data and elevation mapping that shows at a distance is much better than what the scenery morphs into when getting closer - a smoothed elevation blob of obviously repeating generic square tiled patterns. In FS2000 plus, since there was no satellite data, attempts were made to make the generic textures look decent and have staggered more gradual pattern transitions vs. the blobby mess in MSFS2020. Using what was in FSX for those areas would be better than what we have now.

2 Likes

Agree! Now they are aiming on gamers to have quick arcade fun. This is not a sim!

That is me - guilty as charged.

I stopped flight simming when P3D and Xplane turned into stifling boring elitist stuffy study level procedure simulators.

Now it is fun again I am back and having a great time.

I am very much in favour of as much arcade fun as they can come up with. The study level types can go back to XPlane and P3D .

2 Likes

Thanks for funding the xbox development though, it was great.

Exactly, it does not seem that hard to understand, yet…

I don’t think there is any need for a “radical change of course for product development”, everything will be patched in due time, new realistic features such as wind turbulence, drafts etc… are on the “to do” list and will be implemented, it is just that some people are very impatient.

Those who can’t wait, can enjoy the beautiful scenery and apparently bug and CTD free experience of X-Plane 11 (note my slight yet benevolent sarcasm, it is a sim I love after all), those patient enough to understand that these kind of products take years to perfect and much more time to make it as close as possible to a real-life simulation will enjoy the ride a lot.

It feels like a few out there are eager to watch this sim fail and close its doors, reality is though noone doubts this is the future, and as long as the lack of stability between patches is solved from now on this will be the main simmers platform for at least a decade.

Rome was not built in a day.

11 Likes

Stick to 2 minute Challenges if thats your attention, maybe you can get beat your top score!

2 Likes

Great to read you here Dudley! Your statements are spot on whereever you write. Thanks for chiming in!

I have to disagree with you. Asobo has a dedicated Team for the World Updates and those people will have different skillsets then those working on the Core Sim. I am convinced that fixes to the Core Sim will be coming in much faster now. Over the last months the Devs had the huge task to make it fly on the Xbox and that task was binding most of the resources. They have done an excellent job achieving that. It is not only the console guys profiting from this but also all the folks on medium range PCs out there. Now that the Xbox task is accomplished a lot more work can go into improving the Core sim while the World Update Team keeps working on making the world nicer.

1 Like

Is that so? That’s great news if true.

2 Likes

No challenges for me that is hard work, I am here for fun :smiley:

Plus If I actually wanted to improve my flying skills I would dust off my log book get a current medical and go back to flying a real plane again.

Basically though, taking 20 minutes to get from cold and dark to the runway before taking off is not fun for me. Checklists and flows and procedures and ATC are a necessary evil in real life flying for safety reasons but I see no reasons to get too obsessed with them in a game. Clearly this stuff matters for some people and more power to them, but it is definitely not my sort of thing.

2 Likes