Rainbows now circles on the Ground?!

HI,

I regonized a Rianbow on the

A320NX|EDDF|

Ground which looks like a circle.

regards

Legendsy

As a matter of fact, I’m very impressed that this is in the sim. I remember once seeing such a halo around the shadow of my plane on a layer of clouds. Quite beautiful. Unfortunately I did not take a picture, but here is one example:

6 Likes

Can happen in real life, all depends on the weather conditions and the lightfall. It doesnt happen often but it can happen. Seen it in sim too it’s amazing they managed to get that in, might need to be tweaked up a bit but sure amazing it made it into the sim

3 Likes

Rainbows are circles from the sky. I don’t see any issue. Cheers

6 Likes

Pretty! Looks like you got it at just the right angle. <3

2 Likes

That’s not a rainbow though! That’s a glory. :slight_smile:
Just as rainbows they are always centered on your shadow (the antisolar point – you were sitting just behind the wings on this flight), but they are far, far smaller than rainbows. A full rainbow would not be even close to fitting in this image.

4 Likes

Just spotted the answer above, sorry FoxMike1080.

You would only normally get the halo effect around the Sun or Moon which is refraction of ice crystals at high altitude in cirrus cloud. Seeing such phenomena is a good indicator that a warm front is on it’s way towards you. Yes it is possible to see refraction in the clouds, it’s just that and and does sometimes appear as a rainbow type circle called a ‘Glory’ which is not a circular rainbow.

It would be fantastic if we saw lenticular clouds, anvil topped CB and could actually read the sky like in the real world, unfortunately for all it’s great looks, the weather engine of this simulator has many short comings! I guess trying to model a warm front and cold front etc. would break the simulator, (circle around the aircraft).

I think you have seen a graphical rendering error/bug in the simulator, from the picture you provided.

Here, I found a Wikipedia article for you…

Charles.

2 Likes

Oh man… lenticularis clouds as an indication of downslope turbulence. Or ice crystal halos around the Sun. Or fogbows in autumn (or at almost any cloud for that matter). That’d be so cool! But it’s a stretch and a very specific wish :).

1 Like

I might be able to dig out a picture of a lenticular cloud with refraction in it. I took the picture at 22000’ above Aboyne in Scotland. Nothing really special about that you might think, it was taken from a Twin Astir glider which we hired from the BGA back in 1981! It’s competition number was 97. We had enough oxygen to get to 30000’ alas 22000’ is the best we could do on that day. And of course we used the wave-lift associated with lenticular cloud to get to that altitude. If the wind direction changes the wave-lift can fail and the holes that you climbed up through in a glider can fill-in! It was -27 at 22000’ and it snowed in the cockpit as we breathed out through our oxygen masks. Our breath turned to snow. There is no heater in a glider!

Charles.

1 Like

Way to many rainbows, a dog urinates and the sun is out you get a rainbow. You sneeze in the cockpit and you get a rainbow off the prop. Way to many rainbows:

Turns out this one wasnt a rainbow it was the portal to HELL! Bwhahahahah

3 Likes

I agree, just had a flight in the Maldives and there were rainbows everywhere, sometimes concentric rainbows following my aircraft or under it. This didn’t happen before and it surely doesn’t happen in real life. Something is wrong.

3 Likes

Same here, too many too much.
It’s nice to have sometimes, but currently it’s overdone.

It’s like they wanted to make sure the new xbox customers don’t miss this feature.

2 Likes

I guess it is related to the worse cloud density and high environment brightness which are hopefully fixed in the next update.

The engine renders rainbows wherever there’s precipitation and sunlight, which is correct. It’s just that in most scenarios there should be no sunlight due to cloud coverage.

I mainly get the rainbows correctly because of flying towards a rain front with scattered or less cloud coverage behind me.
The fact that we see more rainbows might also be due to the weather situation: If you’re flying in Europe there are quite often conditions favoring rainbows lately.

That’d be so cool to see! I know that lenticularis clouds often show beautiful coronae and iridescence.

1 Like

I will try and find that picture today, I will have to scan it in. I missed out on having this picture on the front cover of the magazine Sailplane and Gliding, my friend beat me to it!
Charles.

1 Like

Hi Sydicek,

Here are some scanned photographs. The quality is not very good. The picture of the instrument’s was taken at 17,200’, (according to the altimeter) however, my friend and I managed to get up-to 22,000’

The picture of the lenticular cloud has some refraction, see top right corner of photograph. The object that looks like a spade in the cloud is a piece of string with tape holding it to the outside of the canopy. This is a YAW string, which allows us to look out without looking at the T/S indicator.

In these days. (1981) we did not have GPS tools. My friend had built a directional aerial antenna which could be rotated on the ground to locate our radio signal to give a bearing from the airfield! One of my friends flew into a new type of cloud during his decent at Aboyne, ‘cumulo granitas’ :rofl:, in other words, a cloud with a big lump of granite in it. Fortunately he avoided the mountain!

We tried spinning down from altitude, alas this did not work. The glider would not spin. I resorted to a spiral dive with airbrakes open, OMG! did my ears hurt for a long while after we had landed!

This is one flight that I nearly did not return from, but that is another story!

BRGDS. Charles.

DTM showing River Dee

1 Like

Any ideas on how to eliminate rainbows permanently ? where would texture file be thanks

1 Like

now every rainbow is a circle rainbow. in the last update you can may found sometine, but very rarely and in certain condition and angle, now if you are in a zone with some ugly weather the circle rainbow follow you 80% of the flight make it less natural

In fact every rainbow IS a “circle”. It’s just that you cant see half of it when standing on the ground.

1 Like

Don’t give them any ideas. They’ll have it in there 24/7 like the rainbows are now

1 Like