Rainbows now circles on the Ground?!

Hi Sydicek,

Here are some scanned photographs. The quality is not very good. The picture of the instrument’s was taken at 17,200’, (according to the altimeter) however, my friend and I managed to get up-to 22,000’

The picture of the lenticular cloud has some refraction, see top right corner of photograph. The object that looks like a spade in the cloud is a piece of string with tape holding it to the outside of the canopy. This is a YAW string, which allows us to look out without looking at the T/S indicator.

In these days. (1981) we did not have GPS tools. My friend had built a directional aerial antenna which could be rotated on the ground to locate our radio signal to give a bearing from the airfield! One of my friends flew into a new type of cloud during his decent at Aboyne, ‘cumulo granitas’ :rofl:, in other words, a cloud with a big lump of granite in it. Fortunately he avoided the mountain!

We tried spinning down from altitude, alas this did not work. The glider would not spin. I resorted to a spiral dive with airbrakes open, OMG! did my ears hurt for a long while after we had landed!

This is one flight that I nearly did not return from, but that is another story!

BRGDS. Charles.

DTM showing River Dee

1 Like