RAM quantity makes a huge difference

Has anyone already tried more than 32GB so far and noticed a performance increase? Will it make sense to upgrade over 32GB yet?

1 Like

I get the feeling that Asobo ā€partneredā€ with hardware manufacturers for this release, considering how many are preparing to buy 64gb ram, i9 cpus and rtx2080 :smiley:

I say wait until a patch before upgrading hardware, because of the performance inconsistensies we are seeing, well unless you dont really care about money! (by all means go nuts if you have the funds!)

I upgraded to 32 yesterday. Thereā€™s no radical performance improvement for me. It does seem a little bit smoother with panning but thatā€™s it.

If youā€™re on a budget and already running OK then I wouldnā€™t stretch for it myself.

2 Likes

I mean RAM prices are getting better and better lately. I say if you can afford the $50-90 to max out your motherboards RAM capacity, why not? :wink:

Just a friendly FYI - 48 FPS in any flight simulator is pretty great :wink:

1 Like

I just upgraded from 16GB RAM to 32GB RAM.

There is no FPS increase (I did not expect one). I see better quality of the scenery in complex regions (>20GB RAM usage) and less pauses by the sim. Sometimes with 16GB it would pause for a second or two once during the session. These occasional pauses are gone.

I havenā€™t seen even half-decent analysis of the effect of ram parameters on fs2020 and Iā€™d believe the reports a bit more if they were backed up with in game stats from the FPS tool (which reports ram and vram usage as well as fps ans a graph which highlights stutter).

I hope so. I do need it though. My RAM maxes out around relatively big airports at night every approach I have done.

I upgraded my ram from 16gb to 32gb and was able to see a significant increase in FPS. Iā€™m running an i7-4770k, with a rtx 2060s (overclocked 10%) in 3440x1440p (at 100hz refresh). Before I was getting 25-35 fps on a low and slow 10 minute urban flight, after i was getting 55-65 fps. Evan after upping many settings from low/medium to medium/high Iā€™m getting 45-55 fps.

Iā€™ve got 2 x 8 gb ram. I think about upgrading to 32gb. Should I buy 2 new 2 x 16 gb sticks or just add 2 x 8. 4 x 8 or 2 x 16ā€¦what is better. I heard 4 sticks can cause issues.

Welcome AtcDude1991
Before you order your RAM sticks you should check the compatibility list for your motherboard at the website of the motherboard manufacturer. You should then have no problems

I already got 2 x 8gb sticks that are compatible with my motherboard. So i can just add 2 more 8gb sticks without any issues?
Thanks in advance

Not if you want to play safe. Check the Compatibility List because it shows the RAM type (ram manufacturer part number, speed, size, number of sticks, ram slots) with which the motherboard manufacturer has tested the motherboard.

Yes, that will be fine. No issues.

Make sure to have all 4 ā€œsticksā€ at the same speedā€¦ As that could cause issues.

Iā€™ve installed my new 16GB RAM and my PC is now using between 15.8 GB - 19 GB of RAM and the game seems a lot smoother for me, especially in the cockpit.

I play on my 7 year old PC. with an upgraded GPU. i7-3930K, Geforce GTX 1080 with 8 GB, Game and windows on SSD, 64GB Ram DDR3 1866 MHz . Network is 300 Mbit download.
Flying over LA with real weather, live players, live trafficā€¦ 2560x1440, HDR10 on, Global rendering set to ULTRA.

Memory usage is at 26.2 GB (in use (Compressed)). Committed is 35,8/73,4 GB.
SSDā€™s are at 0% usage during flight.

I get up to 31 fps. Dropped to 21 when flying low over LAX airport.

When flying at my small local airport in Europe I only get around 18GB memory use and frame rate between 30 fps and 35 fps.

Will have to see if there is a way to have over 32 GB usage of ram in flight ;-).

To be honest using more RAM in your case wonā€™t solve much since your CPU is dated, your RAM is a whole generation behind and slow. I would look at upgrading the CPU and getting DDR4 RAM instead.

1 Like

then, if you have 64 gb ram, you will never use it?

That is what I was trying to test. Is there a reason for FS users to upgrade from 32GB to 64GB at this point in timeā€¦ (I only use that kind of amount of RAM when I run multiple VMā€™s, no game I know of uses it). Tested with 4k resolution 747 over New York, still only 28GB memory use tops :wink:

Of course with my system the frame rate was way low, but just wanted to know if there is a place that uses over 32GBā€¦