Random Complete PC Freeze

MS Store Version

No Changes to Developer Mode

PC Will Constantly freeze to point of restart

Start a new flight after another, causes my system to freeze to the point I need to power it down via Power Button

CPU: I9-10900k
RAM: 64GB 3600MHz DDR4
GPU: ASUS GeForce RTX 3080 Ti TUF Gaming 12 GB
MSFS SSD: Samsung 870 Sata III 2TB SSD

Latest Update

Sounds like it’s hardware-related. Check for heat and driver issues first.
The newest nVidia drivers are known to cause serious issues.

1 Like

Yeah. the chance of this being caused by software is quite slim.

Is the PC otherwise stable under load? Tried a few benchmarks/stress tests? Cinebench for example is decent for CPU.

Sure it’s not this?

so far I understand does its PC freezing, not the Sim only :slight_smile:

As other users former mentioned, such kind of freezes sound hardware related ( or at least driver related, e.g. lots of user report issues with latest nvidia driver ).

Usually test-case like “limit the fps” in NCP , open pc case, can give more hints
 Of course also things like window checks ( sfc , dism ) , etc.

When I first encountered the bug it wasn’t just the SIM that froze, but the whole PC - although a cntl-alt-del would allow task manager to be launched.

1 Like

I run the PC as a DAW 95% of the time, running extremely large libraries, plugins, VSTs, which generally are CPU/RAM Dominated, never have issues,
CPU is liquid cooled, never above 70 Celsius at full load,
What’s interesting is that the PC won’t freeze to a point of a BSOD, Audio will continue playing, the game is still moving, but the entire PC is frozen, no task manager etc, it’s not registering anything through event logger other than the unexpected shutdown due to manual button pushing.
However, this is apparent right before the unexpected shutdown

Faulting application name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Faulting module name: ucrtbase.dll, version: 10.0.19041.789, time stamp: 0x2bd748bf
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000002328d
Faulting process id: 0x1ad0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d7e4179fbe287c
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.21.13.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\ucrtbase.dll
Report Id: 5b9275cd-8650-4cea-a48f-9b96d353c644
Faulting package full name: Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.21.13.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Faulting package-relative application ID: App

Something is happening software side, I have no issues playing other games, Running multiple Ableton sessions, or doing video editing work.

That’s a weird one. It looks like the game is crashing from the event log entry
 but it’s still running/moving? Not even sure what that would look like.

It’s weird that you wouldn’t be able to bring up task manager if the system didn’t actually hard crash. Especially since the sim doesn’t even use exclusive fullscreen.

What happens if you run the sim in windowed mode and have another window open alongside? Would be interesting to see if you could still move the mouse outside of the sim after the event or if the other window also visibly freezes.

Can you still connect remotely after the event? Over SSH for example.
At the moment it’s kinda hard to tell how much is actually crashing. Seems like it’s more than the sim though.

ah
 this sounds a bit different and therefore good detailed infos in first issue-report are so important.

Usage of a DAW is not comparable with a Game like MSFS. Its absolutly different system-load scenarios. As example a mainly zero GPU usage in DAW vs 100% all-the-time GPU usage in MSFS.
( and GPU is often, not allways, the cause if the pc shutdowns )

We had some topics with the ucrtbase.dll and 0xc0000005 ( different to 
409 ).
So far I remember it was the more tricky variant. Some users report it in case they use Mods. Also the Anti-virus tool can cause issues and others had just issues with the hardware/drivers/etc. ( may be search a bit in forum ). But the common behavior in these cases was that the game directly crashs and the PC doesnt freeze / shutdowns.

You can may be do test-cases with limiting the FPS to a lower value as your current setting ( e.g. in NCP set max-fps 30 or less). If this helps, you know its somewhat with the gpu

Not sure, but you can also check the usually “Nahimic” service. If it is enabled, try to disable it. But I thought it results in a 

Also noticable is, that some users reports issue with latest nvidia driver ( 497.09 ).

Ps: good checkpoint may be also Unofficial Reference Guide to CTD Solutions

Yeah I get that due to sequential processing, the reply about the DAW was how the PC was handling normal tasks outside of MSFS, likewise all other games see no issue, RDR2 I can run on max around the 70fps mark with no issues.

ucrtbase.dll isn’t a niche dll file, lots of things utilize it so very hard to nail down, working in IT, this is something ive been trying to sort for a while. Will try the GPU FPS limiting and see if we have improvements, I’ve seen other forum posts where the fix was actually installing the United States language pack onto windows. So it shows how wide of a spectrum we are dealing with.

note: this would be the combination " ucrtbase.dll + error 0xc0000409 "